The Fantastics

Shelly74

Hi Folks, I was listening to a few tunes by The Fantastics - Me & You,The Fantastics - That One, The Fantastics - Goodbye To Love, on looking the net I can see that there was 2 groups by the same name...are these 3 tracks by the same group? and if so which one? Thanks

Social source share

From my i-Tunes, have the Copa and SS7 releases on 45, the freestyle 45 is well over a decade later than anything on there.. and the DMD release very early, Dunno I reckon they are the same group but different line up's...  Sure there are heavier weight record Hounds on here that can tell you what they had for breakfast and which year....

I just love their music..

The Fantastics - You and Me / SS7

The Fantastics - Where There's a Will (There's a Way) / In Times Like These / Impresario

The Fantastics - That One / / SS7

The Fantastics - Something Wonderful / Freestyle

The Fantastics - High note / Copa also on SS7 I think..

The Fantastics - Have a Little Faith / SS7

The Fantastics - Goodbye to Love / DMD

Saw a Bell LP also on Discogs..

Fantastics, The "Ž— The Fantastics
Label:
Bell Records "Ž— BELLS 200
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
Released:
Genre:
Style:
Tracklist Hide Credits A1   Something Old, Something New 2:48 A2   Sad Eyed Romany Woman 3:09 A3   Old Rags And Tatters 3:48 A4   Maria Maria 3:11 A5   People I've Got A Dream 2:39 A6   You've Got A Friend

Written-By —

3:28 B1   Love Me Love The Life I Lead 3:02 B2   Something To Remember You By 2:59 B3   I Can Feel The Warm 3:07 B4   Man Made World 2:26 B5   Just A Little Bit Harder 2:22 B6   Something Wonderful 3:18

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Wernt the UK based group previously the velours.

First toured here as the Fantastic Temptations in 1967 thanks to a rogue promoter...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mTM_9JTeoMIC&pg=PA310&lpg=PA310&dq=fantastics+velours+history&source=bl&ots=EKTYqVgeL_&sig=qQkb0gVGqYGP7U_oh8i1U6utprI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DzQDU76lLaSQ7AaZgIGwCQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=fantastics%20velours%20history&f=false

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Thank you to each and everyone of you who has read and took the time to read, especially those who have made a reply x I'm looking and beginning to think they may have been more than 2 groups of the same name? I am aware of the group that came to England with members that were in the group The Velours, however the tunes that Malcolm has mentioned in a list, I looked up on discogs but don't mention as them being the same group? must be some smarty pants out there who knows? :) 

Social source share

From my i-Tunes, have the Copa and SS7 releases on 45, the freestyle 45 is well over a decade later than anything on there.. and the DMD release very early, Dunno I reckon they are the same group but different line up's...  Sure there are heavier weight record Hounds on here that can tell you what they had for breakfast and which year....

I just love their music..

The Fantastics - You and Me / SS7

The Fantastics - Where There's a Will (There's a Way) / In Times Like These / Impresario

The Fantastics - That One / / SS7

The Fantastics - Something Wonderful / Freestyle

The Fantastics - High note / Copa also on SS7 I think..

The Fantastics - Have a Little Faith / SS7

The Fantastics - Goodbye to Love / DMD

Saw a Bell LP also on Discogs..

Fantastics, The "Ž— The Fantastics
Label:
Bell Records "Ž— BELLS 200
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
Released:
Genre:
Style:
Tracklist Hide Credits A1   Something Old, Something New 2:48 A2   Sad Eyed Romany Woman 3:09 A3   Old Rags And Tatters 3:48 A4   Maria Maria 3:11 A5   People I've Got A Dream 2:39 A6   You've Got A Friend 3:28 B1   Love Me Love The Life I Lead 3:02 B2   Something To Remember You By 2:59 B3   I Can Feel The Warm 3:07 B4   Man Made World 2:26 B5   Just A Little Bit Harder 2:22 B6   Something Wonderful 3:18

Malcolm

I thought I had already replied to you on here, thanks hun x

Social source share

Yes indeed, and to discover that particular group also recorded as the V.I.P.’s - You Pulled a fast One, Thanks :-)

I remember reviewing that record must be 15/20 years ago and I reviewed it as a Girl group record!  Until now I thought it was a girl group.  In fact, I just listened to it again, and I still think it is  :lol:

Social source share

Guest Pointman

The Fantastics from Houston recorded.

That One / High Note - Copa 8005

That One / High Note - SS7 2548 (2nd Press)

Have a Little You / Me and You - SS7 2565

In Times Like These / Where there's a Will (There's a Way) - Impresario 124

The group was helmed by Fred Kibble who most notably also led the Masters of Soul around the same time. 

His first release was as the Royal Masters on Guyden, which later morphed into Masters of Houston, who were then forced to change names due to contractual disputes and settled on Masters of Soul. Masters of Soul recorded for Ovide, Duke and Capitol before disappearing in the mid seventies. 

Kibble produced and wrote plenty of stuff for others over the years as well. 

Social source share

The Fantastics from Houston recorded.

That One / High Note - Copa 8005

That One / High Note - SS7 2548 (2nd Press)

Have a Little You / Me and You - SS7 2565

In Times Like These / Where there's a Will (There's a Way) - Impresario 124

The group was helmed by Fred Kibble who most notably also led the Masters of Soul around the same time. 

His first release was as the Royal Masters on Guyden, which later morphed into Masters of Houston, who were then forced to change names due to contractual disputes and settled on Masters of Soul. Masters of Soul recorded for Ovide, Duke and Capitol before disappearing in the mid seventies. 

Kibble produced and wrote plenty of stuff for others over the years as well. 

And The DMD group was a local Detroit group.  The RCA group was Sammy Strain's Brooklyn group, who also were The VIP's on Big Top.

Wasn't the group on Bell Records also the Texas group?

Social source share

I was lucky enough to have the chalet next door to Richie Pitts at Prestatyn weekender 3 years running.

He is a true gentleman, he told me that they came over hear touring as the Velours and were persuaded

by Peter Springfellow to change there name to the Fantastic, He had moved to Sheffield and was enjoying

his royalties from the theme music he had written for the TV show Black Adder

He appeared at the weekender the first time as a booked artist in his own right and after that he kept

turning out to help with backing  

Social source share

I read somewhere ,that the fantastics were also previously ..the invitations....

Crossed wires there Jim - it was around the same time that the aforementioned dodgy promoter brought The Invitations over and made them tour as the All Star Drifters - still got a flyer somewhere - the ironic thing is that they were still recording at the time under their own name, and when they played our local club it's very likely that the DJ played "What's wrong with me baby" - without realising!

Social source share

Crossed wires there Jim - it was around the same time that the aforementioned dodgy promoter brought The Invitations over and made them tour as the All Star Drifters - still got a flyer somewhere - the ironic thing is that they were still recording at the time under their own name, and when they played our local club it's very likely that the DJ played "What's wrong with me baby" - without realising!

Here is the flyer of yours Jerry...

post-225-0-74695600-1392923401_thumb.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Fantastics on MGM, Deram, Bell, and Bus Stop were Jerome "Romey" Ramos (lead), John Cheathom, Donald Haywoode, Richard Pitts, formerly of the R&B Group The Newtones on Baton and the Soul Group The Strangers on WB.  Ramos, Cheathom and Haywoode were formerly of the R&B Group The Velours on Onyx, Cub etc.

The Fantastics on Impressario, Copa & SS7 were Jethro V Caldwell (lead, Willie Parnell (second lead), later of Archie Bell & Drells; Eddie Webb, later of Masters of Soul; Bobby Williams.

There is a Fantastics on DMD the Detroit group Robb  refers to and another on Hit.

above courtesy of the Soul Harmony Singles (not always 100% accurate before you have a go at me :D )

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The Fantastics on MGM, Deram, Bell, and Bus Stop were Jerome "Romey" Ramos (lead), John Cheathom, Donald Haywoode, Richard Pitts, formerly of the R&B Group The Newtones on Baton and the Soul Group The Strangers on WB.  Ramos, Cheathom and Haywoode were formerly of the R&B Group The Velours on Onyx, Cub etc.

The Fantastics on Impressario, Copa & SS7 were Jethro V Caldwell (lead, Willie Parnell (second lead), later of Archie Bell & Drells; Eddie Webb, later of Masters of Soul; Bobby Williams.

There is a Fantastics on DMD the Detroit group Robb  refers to and another on Hit.

above courtesy of the Soul Harmony Singles (not always 100% accurate before you have a go at me :D )

Another from the DETROIT Fantastics group is on Herman Griffin's Hit Records (Detroit label that also had Herschel Hunter's Moments record on it?)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!