John Manship Auction Results 19-2-2014

JOE TORQUAY

8755_1sm.jpg8755_1sm.jpg8755_2sm.jpg
Soul Twins Quick Change Artist C/w Give The Man A Chance

The “TORCH” and it’s DJ’s set the foundations for this scene to stampede forward into the 70s trampling every other British underground music fanbase in it’s wake.

Little wonder, as there was no other form of music to be heard back in the Glam-Rock polluted era, that could compare with tunes of this unparalleled power and presence.

At a time when we knew little of the talents of Mike Terry, Ollie McLaughlin etc. dropping the needle on this baby, detonated head-spins, back-drops and other mind-boggling forms of gymnastic mayhem throughout the night at Tunstall’s place of Soul-Worship.

Before you today is a super-clean White Promo copy of one of “The Golden Torch’s” true classics.

But at this time in Northern Soul developement, it’s the equally amazing flipside that is grabbing DJ attention.. “Give A Man A Chance”.. wow what a choon that is!!

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 234.00

8749_1sm.jpg8749_1sm.jpg8749_2sm.jpg
Flash Mckinley I'll Rescue You C/w Milly

Oh which side to choose, what a lovely dilemma whilst playing seriously rare Northern Soul. This offering is considered one of the greatest “Woo Woo” records ever to grace the Northern Soul scene.

“Woo Woo” ? that will become crystal clear why you hear the most divine girl-group chorus moistening your ears as the intro glides in.

This is easy-going distilled Northern Soul dripping in pure class - a mid-tempo act of brilliance that just squeezes the inner-part of you, taking you to a level of dance-subconscious only a few records have the power to do.

Flip it over and Flash again “smooths” his way through another Northern Soul stroller this time moisturize with a sprinkling of Latin influence, wchich works so well.

If your penchant is the mid-tempo floater with mesmerizing girls beckoning you to the dancefloor - there are not any better examples than this “Woo Woo” masterpiece.

The winning bid was £ 2,517.00

8743_1sm.jpg8743_1sm.jpg8743_2sm.jpg
Laura Lee To Win Your Heart

How utterly gorgeous is this 1966 head-turner from Canada?

A much-loved Detroit Northern Soul that has stood the test of time, as it ripples with the power to ignite steamy-club-euphoric-recall as the opening bars catapult you back to your formative years.

1000’s of times rarer than the Ric Tic release and pressed in that high-fidelity sturdy RCA vinyl, as opposed to the Ric Tic styrene.

Just altogether the most-desirable format you can own this timeless NS Anthem in…ignore it’s beautiful clout if you can. 

The winning bid was £ 187.00

8742_1sm.jpg8742_1sm.jpg8742_2sm.jpg
Nella Dodds I Just Gotta Have C/w Honey Boy

A mysterious Philly Soul Princess who between 1964 - 1966 recorded & released fully six singles for Wand - this was her last 45 and by far her rarest most-wanted disc, then she disappeared without trace.

Strange because this lady owned the voice of an angel.

Essentially “pre-Arctic” recordings guided by the “Dynodynamics” team, the boys who crafted so many great Northern Soul recordings heavily influence by Detroit and the Motown Sound. As you will hear with the fabulous girl-group cradled dancer we lead with, so sweet is the lead as it floats on a thermal wave of girl-group chorus and horns.

Killer Sister Northern Soul of the very highest quality.

Which “Dynodynamics” again underline their Detroit connections with stonking version of the Holland-Dozier-Holland Supremes Album track “Honey Boy” arranged by Detroiter “sax God” Mike Terry.

Two great sides - shrouded in the mystery of why this outstanding vocalist abruptly ended her career and why her last ever 45 is just so darn elusive?

The winning bid was £ 315.00

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

8748_1sm.jpg8748_1sm.jpg8748_2sm.jpg8748_3sm.jpg8748_4sm.jpg
Marvin Gaye This Love Starved Heart Of Mine (it's Killing Me)

Condition!! Condition!!! Condition!!!!

Startling! like new, not a freckle, smudge, hair, dust or microbe on the vinyl..

…not a wrinkle, crease, crinkle, vein, blemish or fingerprint on the picture sleeve…

..the labels squinted like baby Moles when released…to experience daylight for the very first time

The state of this 45 and sleeve could not be more magnificent.

Click the soundfile lifted from a previous listing, shudder and consider what it will be like to be the first person to deflower this virgin of Motown mastery.

The winning bid was £ 425.00

8745_1sm.jpg8745_1sm.jpg8745_2sm.jpg
Jerry Butler I Stand Accused C/w I Don't Want To Hear Anymore

Chris Blackwell & Guy Stevens determination to bring the finest Soul music to this iconic venture is again evident as they release the silky vocal vocals of Jerry Butler’s 1964 release in the UK in 1966.

With the lyrical assistance of brother Billy the pair forge one of Jerry’s greatest studio moments, a stand-out ballad showcasing why Jerry is considered a Giant of Soul music.

This 45 is the RARE “A” stamped British promo with the treasured company sleeve. Eye-Candy for the serious Brit collector - eye-candy for those who appreciate stand-out soul vocals.

Condition is flawless.

The winning bid was £ 103.00

8747_1sm.jpg8747_1sm.jpg8747_2sm.jpg
Mr. Lee & The Frank Andrade Five Hey Mrs. Jones

Here is not only a surefire candidate for NS dancefloor action it is also a steeping stone in Soul-History, from the label that gave us that fabulous Leon Peterson 45 comes another declaration of quality and rarity.

A 20 year old reformed Barry White under the pseudonym of Mr. Lee leaves his brush with the law behind to growl his newly deepened voicebox through a mesmerizing R&B dance arrangement. Young Barry’s vocal is just starting to develop those “Walrus Of Love” tones which perfectly marry to this thumping production.

We have no need to tell you how rare this 45 is - so listen to an iconic voice evolving; within 2 years he was recording as “Lee Barry” for Downey records; a studio he often hung out in. Shortly after that he joined Bob Keene at Bronco Records which witnessed the return to his “Barry White” moniker he used on Faro Records, as “Barry Carter” found a lasting identity that would achieve worldwide recognition.

So, before you today is what we believe to be a “Monster” for the Northern Soul turntable… yet again Barry White’s influence will affect a dancefloor… this time with his rarest 45 to date..

The winning bid was £ 118.00

8753_1sm.jpg8753_1sm.jpg8753_2sm.jpg
Art Freeman Slipping Around With You C/w I Can't Get Out Of My Mind

From Muscle Shoals, Alabama to Manchester’s “Twisted Wheel” and Northern Soul immortality.

As “Twisted Wheel” anthems reach the peak of popularity we offer up the tough to find Atlantic distributed BLACK stock copy that lifts any confusion caused by the White Promo that received a devious counterfeit during the 70s.

Click the soundfile to set-free another stand-out Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham composition spice up by Rick Hall & Friends..Perfect rumbling Northern Soul - but do not overlook the Chris Farlowe written Deep Soul flipside.

Vinyl on the A-side is a clean Mint - flipside is Ex+ with a few brief insignificant light surface blemishes.

The winning bid was £ 171.00

Social source share

8754_1sm.jpg8754_1sm.jpg8754_2sm.jpg
Mary Wells What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One C/w You Lost The Sweetest Boy

To my knowledge this is the first example of a British Record company altering it’s release choice to take advantage of the British Soul-Club generated demand.

First promo’d and released with “You Lost The Sweetest Boy” as the Red “A” side. But the pioneering Soul-DJ’s flipped it over for “What’s Easy” to take off as the dancefloor choice.

EMI executives almost immediately re-Promoted the single switching the Red “A” to the other side, and the subsequent release with the “Sold Subject to..” text on the centerpiece, sold reasonably well.

As early as 1963 those Soul DJ’s were being monitored.

So before you today is the rarely seen and utterly gorgeous Red & White DEMO that those early 60s original club DJ’s made happen.

Two stonkin’ dance sides of course and a quirky historical conversation-piece too. 

The winning bid was £ 81.00

8751_1sm.jpg8751_1sm.jpg8751_2sm.jpg
Melvin Moore All Of A Sudden C/w Tennesse

No words from me can elevate this extremely rare modern soul dancer any higher than it already sits in the ratings of the finest most difficult to acquire Soulful-Dance 45s ever made.

It is without question mine and many others favourite example of the genre…

Listen, swoon and bathe in it’s glory!

The winning bid was £ 863.00

8744_1sm.jpg8744_1sm.jpg8744_2sm.jpg
Bitter & The Sweet I Won't Have Any Babies For You C/w P.o.w.

Feelgood 70s Detroit Soulful dancer with a dedicated dancefloor following.

This chirpy Floyd Johnson project just flows from the stylus… how can you not adore the tapestry of vocal flirting in and out of a simplistic piano dominate arrangement.

A pre-disco dancer with all the purity collectors of the soul are seeking whilst collecting rare vinyl. Muscular male lead, male vocal group co-operation with a seamless girl voice making up the duet and in between all manner of harmonies, chants and instrumental interludes.. FANTASTIC TUNE!

..certainly one I’ve certainly never grown tired of - then again how could you.

The winning bid was £ 410.00

8750_1sm.jpg8750_1sm.jpg8750_2sm.jpg
Pat Hodges Ain't Watcha Got (it's The Watcha Got And How You Use It) C/w My Man, My Man

A team that gave the Northern Soul scene some of it’s finest dance offering when they guide The Servicemen through those stompin’ dancer - turn up again with a chuck of L.A. Sister-Funk!

Hadley Murrell’s sidekicks Eddie Horan & Harry Mitchel collaborate to guide one of Keymen’s girls through a potent drum-driven slab of funk. Frantic mover enhanced by strong girl-group chorus and Ms. Hodges attitude-saturated vocal!

Flip it over for a fine Gospel styled Deep Soul ballad..

The winning bid was £ 168.00

Social source share

8746_1sm.jpg8746_1sm.jpg8746_2sm.jpg
Devils Workshop Satan's Soul C/w She Waits, She Loves, She Cares

Oh yes.. right-on-the-money Rare-club-funk with just enough flow for the Northern Soul appreciation to jump on it..too!

From small town Indiana this hunk-of-Funk from the Princess City.. giving up firstly hanging trumpets cloaking the distant group-chants with skilful guitar work pumping out an irresistible rhythm, for those persistent horns to grow and pepper the production; then right on cue the hammond kicks in.. and the whole thing jells into a fluid rare-funk dance experience - just perfect for today’s Northern Soul upfront crowd.

…oooh it’s a “Devil” of a tune!

Flip it over for a sublime Indian group ballad…

The winning bid was £ 189.00

8752_1sm.jpg8752_1sm.jpg8752_2sm.jpg8752_3sm.jpg
Limme Saturday Nights The Night C/w Party

Extremely elusive British 70s dancer evolving from the LImmie & The Family Cookin’ split-up in 1976 to join a label that gave us The Foundations “Change My Life” biggie, one release later this London indie label released this British only dancer which is much-rarer than it’s predecessor.

This date stamped PROMO comes complete with it’s mail-shot only 4” by 6” black & white Group Photo. Featuring Limmie Snell,Phil Towner, Nick Straker, Andy Gier & Pete Hammond (Engineer for this single).

So what does this rarity sound like, well it fine enough for Steve Plum to recommended it to me & will delight those of you who like Steve revel in tracking down the endanger speices and bring them to the public.

British Soul-Collectors, DJ’s and Rare Soulful-dance aficionados you’ll o love more tan just the head-turning pics..

The winning bid was £ 111.00

8741_1sm.jpg8741_1sm.jpg8741_2sm.jpg8741_3sm.jpg8741_4sm.jpg
Dramatics 1968 Stax / Volt Press Kit

One of soul musics most respected vocal group’s, present by new home at Stax / Volt with a magnificent 10” by 8” gloss black & white original group photo and a full 5 page A4 biography.

Includes an in depth personal Bio for each member.

For the historians amongst you, ownership is only essential but more imperative as the likelihood of this promo pack becoming available again is virtually zero.

The winning bid was £ 20.00

Social source share

"Click the soundfile lifted from a previous listing, shudder and consider what it will be like to be the first person to deflower this virgin of Motown mastery."

Slightly sick, but got to be the best line in a sales description yet.

That Mr Lee thing, the version of hey mrs jones, was on ebay last week and didn't sell at $20, and rightly so - it's so bad I felt ripped off just listening to the sound file.

Social source share

im jumping the gun a bit..but...ending next week...i never thought the day would come when monorays would be out shining chico lamar,i thought the monorays historically is always about 80 to 100 quid?

£350 !!!!!!!!!! WTF ? A couple of recent additions to the auction Jean Plum Pour on the loving, Willie Parker I've got to fight it, are these really auction material ? What on earth is going on ? Still he's achieving his aim I suppose, Publicity :g:  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!