I Wished I Were / I Was...... There, When.... Was First Played

ajb

Was listening to a cd with "Do I Love You, Indeed I do" in the car, and was thinking it must of been great to have been there when that was first played.

where were you when you heard a certain track for  the first time, and thought WOW!?

or where do you wish you'd been to hear some thing? but missed out.

Social source share

God, it was 'Rat Race' for me - Pleasley Verney Institute 'Tea-timer' (8.30 till 10), probably late '78.

After the usual Judy Street, R Dean taylor etc.. Phil Cresswell the DJ slapped this on the decks and introduced it as a piece of 'heavy northern'.

WOW! it sounded evil, mysterious, and weird... but great to a 14 year old. I can hear and feel it now, clear as day.

Would love to have heard the first outing of 'Bari Track' wherever that was.

Great thread ajb, should get some good memories from this one.

Social source share

I can still remember being at the Cromwellian in Bolton early 70's the first time I heard James Brown's version of "There Was A Time" and just fell in love with it straight away. Hadn't even heard the Gene Chandler's equally good version of it then. If I close my eyes I can still feel myself right there dancing my little feet off to it......still get's me going even now when I hear it. Happy days  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The year 1969, the place Woods music shop, new streeet Huddersfield.I had just turned 17 and was browsing through the soul records they had when out of one of the listening booths i heard this record playing, immeadiately i was totally focused on the sound of that record and stopped what i was doing and not aware of the other people in the shop,this carried on until the record stopped playing. The guy came out of the booth where upon i approached him and asked him what was that fantastic record he'd just been playing. The record he'd been playing was The classic "What kind of lady" by Dee Dee Sharp. I didn't know the guy and at the time never knew that through this chance meeting would be the beginning of a long friendship. Truly amazing 45 years ago and still remember it as if it was yesterday.

Regards Fred Ward

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

When I was in my mid teens I used to frequent clubs in Huddersfield that played Motown and soul  which as we know went on to be termed Northern Soul. Clubs such as The Atack, The Starlight, The Hifi, and of course the one most noted  club for Northern soul in Huddersfield Lord Jim's aka The Bin.

The Hifi was a place up trinity street on one of the main roads leading out of Huddersfield  towards Halifax. I remember you went in through the front door, paid your money to Lena the owner at the counter on your right , then you could go straight on into the bar,which had lots of tables  and chairs where you could sit have a drink and listen to records that were on the Juke box that was full of soul music . Every so often they had a live dj on who would play a mixture of Motown and Northern soul. The other choice as you went in was to go upstairs to the 1st floor at the top of the stairs you would turn right into a large room fully covered with a sprung dance floor. To the left was the decks etc for the dj and in front of you at the back was a  stage running the full width of the dance floor. All the older guys and girls would to come to the Hifi  and from there would go on to the Twisted Wheel in Manchester,these were a sort of in crowd who were immaculately dressed and extremely knowledgeable in soul music, who we would look up to and aspire to.

On one particular occasion i well remember going in to the bar with a well known character from Huddersfield a frequent wheel goer called Cobber(Ian Hicks) anyway there was a dj on that night and he played this record I'd never heard before which totally blew me away, the sound, the voice of the singer,totally soulfull absolutely brilliant. The record was Jerry Cooke I hurt on the other side. Needless to say this was on my wants list but not for long and I acquired a copy not long after.

Regards Fred Ward.

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!