Saxie Russell : Psychedelic Soul Part 3

Ik001

Is this the more 'vocal/lyrical' version? I've heard one somewhere and tried finding it last year but had no luck.

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Right I've just played it.  Paul, you're right, it starts off with a minute's worth of ad libbing, then goes back to the regular instrumental version, with Saxy doing a few ad libs.  Vocalist comes back in with more ad lib vocals, can barely make out a word he says.  This is 100% definitely taken off the acetate, it's the same quality recording as the one I had.

Social source share

Must be some DJ in this country who has/had the acetate then, because I heard it out somewhere, cant remember where now, and tried to find out more about it.

Cheers Pete

Social source share

Must be some DJ in this country who has/had the acetate then, because I heard it out somewhere, cant remember where now, and tried to find out more about it.

Cheers Pete

It's on the B side of the Outasite release mate, or it could have come from Pete's Vinyl Carver Collection 2009  :lol:

Social source share

the acetate on ebay came from me, indirectly. i found Stormy (one of the writers, also the guy who recorded on twinight, RIP), my friend and i went to his house. i bought an acetate of el anthony "that's what my lady says" (in my collection still, will swap for a real copy if someone wants an acetate...) and my friend got an acetate of the saxie russell. he had another friend sell it for him.

Saxie Russell's real name is Vernon Taplin, he wrote a few more odd things (Luci and Tim on Gamma and at least something else)  but nobody I know has been able to find him.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

but not everyones taste.

One of those records that I understand people liking (especially those from 'back in the day') but always gave me a head ache - Meant in the nicest possible way :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!