mike

Northern In The Mainstream - Links Etc

The number of stumble upon mainstream media takes on northern soul seems to be increasing recently

some bad, some interesting, some...

anyway, in a sort of "may be of interest" mode will push them up when stumble across them

start this thread off with a link to what after a quick read I would say could be called a interesting, different and honest take

some interesting words and I'd say a different view than some of the usual generic reads

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/posts/Love-letter-from-a-northern-soul

The number of stumble upon mainstream media takes on northern soul seems to be increasing recently

some bad, some interesting, some...

anyway, in a sort of "may be of interest" mode will push them up when stumble across them

start this thread off with a link to what after a quick read I would say could be called a interesting, different and honest take

some interesting words and I'd say a different view than some of the usual generic reads

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/posts/Love-letter-from-a-northern-soul

Interesting that somebody so late onto it echoes the sentiments of many of us that have been going a while. I wanted to comment though to highlight his description of a fairground as "a thunderstorm of neon and puke" lol, 'bout right I reckon.

this one is seems a very odd  sort of connection to me ?

Manchester's Victoria Baths is hosting a ten-day celebration exploring the power of physical movement, including the Northern Soul phenomenon, with a line-up of video installations, dance and live art performances.

The Un-Rest festival, launching on 24 April, will feature a Northern Soul 'all-nighter' and a dance-off DJd by designer Wayne Hemingway. Panamanian artist Humberto Vélez will also be showing his latest film installation before it heads to Tate Modern later this year.

here's one from a couple of weeks back and imo sort of demos a bit later/younger mainstream take than the bbc one above... 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/yousif-nur/northern-soul_b_4746642.html

I think the fact he got into it in the last decade and his top 20 reads like the best of Wigan circa 1979 is very very sad and is everything that is wrong with the scene. Where are the big plays of the last decade? Nowhere on the nostalgia scene. :(

a work colllegue approached me and asked "have you got any northern soul clothes", i asked what she meant and why she replied that her local pub was having a northern night and the locals were dressing up in northern soul clothes for the night, just to add that i am lead to believe that the people involved are normal pub regulars, not your run of the mill northern fans, i actually feel a bit ill thinking about it, and more than a bit embarrassed,, 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.