In Praise Of Young Soul Fans

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

Born in 1952 I'll be one of the older members of this forum - but I find it incredibly uplifting that yet another generation of young people is enjoying the music that was the sound track to my youth 40+ years ago.

Let's face it this music was on the whole written and performed BY young people FOR young people. There's a clue in there somewhere.

Personally I don't give a d**n what format they want to hear the music on. Nor what they choose to wear. Nor how and where they want to dance. I don't care if they haven't served a 7 year "soul apprenticeship" during which time they have to doff their caps to their elders and betters and only speak when spoken to.  I don't even care if some of them are "soul tourists" - as long as some of them stay the course that will do for me.

So good on you young folk. Consider yourself blessed that you have discovered this music and ENJOY.

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest welshruss

Totally agree sir....

And.......the lucky blighters don't have to go through "Got 10p for the train mate"...and when you say "No"...get a good kickin......lol

Good luck to them - just enjoy it I say.

Social source share

It's great to see the young guns out there, my lad went to every Cala Gran with me ! and he's now 27 a Well thought of DJ on the scene (Blackpool Tower,Jersey, Shap weekenders) with a great Soul collection. So there is a place for them if we give them a chance. So well said M BARRETT  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Am just preparing the topics "In praise of middle aged soul fans" and "In praise of old b*stard soul fans", should be ready soon.

Dunno why you are being so grumpy m8. Anyone who has discovered soul music from 60s 70s etc. in this day and age is doing pretty well in my book…..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dunno why you are being so grumpy m8. Anyone who has discovered soul music from 60s 70s etc. in this day and age is doing pretty well in my book…..

Well good for them, do we have to have endless topics about it, I've just discovered rare R & B 78's from the 50's, would you open a topic about me and my pioneering spirit Steve...

:no:

Social source share

Well good for them, do we have to have endless topics about it, I've just discovered rare R & B 78's from the 50's, would you open a topic about me and my pioneering spirit Steve...

Well good if you could find a forum that champions R&B 78s from the 50s, I am sure they'd welcome the fact that a "youngster" like you has discovered their music…..Good luck at Doctors….

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Ah the memories. I remember it well, almost like it was yesterday, when the older lads took me one side at Wigan and said;

'Well done young un for getting into northern soul, we appreciate youngsters like yourself taking the time and effort to travel and listen to some youth club sounds, buy a few pressings, and copy your mates dancing style...

now give us you f***ing gear and money and f**k off before we give you a kicking!'

It's nice to feel welcome. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

slightly off topic but I've been trying to give away 100s of cassette tapes of Northern/60s/70s tracks...all styles for about 5 years. Ideal for new soul fans, collectors, djs, samples, sales list etc.

been on several sites.....these are free, just been asking for P&P to covers costs.

Hardly any response....

ok tapes outdated.....but ideal way to learn /hear tunes...oldies/rare......obscure....but a cassette player costs what £20 ...just to hear 100s of tracks

where's the interest??

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

slightly off topic but I've been trying to give away 100s of cassette tapes of Northern/60s/70s tracks...all styles for about 5 years. Ideal for new soul fans, collectors, djs, samples, sales list etc.

been on several sites.....these are free, just been asking for P&P to covers costs.

Hardly any response....

ok tapes outdated.....but ideal way to learn /hear tunes...oldies/rare......obscure....but a cassette player costs what £20 ...just to hear 100s of tracks

where's the interest??

You might want to try Mark Freeman, Wiganer1 on here, he buys lots of Wigan tapes. He might be interested.

Social source share

Hardly any response....

where's the interest??

I did the same, I had nearly 1000, gave a few hundred away then binned the rest.  Having said that, I might be interested in the ones you have if they've got track listings - I'd certainly pay the p&p and a bit extra..

Social source share

I'm 20 and pretty much have the same opinion as you, why does simply being young on an aging scene give you such levels of praise? I just find it all gets a bit boring and wears thin... Yes, some encouragment is great, a few free  45s to help you get into collecting or some tips on where to find good sounds is all thats needed.

Free records?! I'm all for the young 'uns getting into the music whichever way they want, good on 'em I say, but I don't keep telling them how good they are, nor does just about everyone I know, but WTF should a few free records be whats needed to encourage them?! Should 'old folks' who are just fing soul music - and there's been a few join up on here lately - be given free records too? 

I would like some good original free 45s to stop my interest flagging, and to make sure I help keep the scene alive - for those young 'uns that will be here when I've gone....

(All donations gratefully received -  PM me for delivery address.)

Social source share

Yes all tapes have track listings....and  most  have labels

I was collecting for over 30 years....several swappers

It's fun to look back at what was "in" and how those "new" big sounds would be sneered at now.

As I was never a big venue attender (i.e. I actually like the music) , trends didn't bother me.....just what I heard 

Social source share

bloody hell Snakepit my car's got a cassette deck - it's all I ever listen to when Im driving - I can't be the only one with a P reg. car  :D  :D  :D

I was devastated wen I changed car and there was a CD player...no tapes!

I now transfer tapes to Cd-rs.

Since i've retired from work and refereeing (lots of mileage) I do miss my music in the car  :g:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I'm 20 and pretty much have the same opinion as you, why does simply being young on an aging scene give you such levels of praise? I just find it all gets a bit boring and wears thin... Yes, some encouragment is great, a few free  45s to help you get into collecting or some tips on where to find good sounds is all thats needed.

However, young people being fairly uncommon on the scene seem to have a rediculous ammount of praise lauded upon them. They have their egos messaged and fed, and they end up feeling they are some how better than most and they know far more than they do... When in reality, they offer nothing new, different or progressive playing the same tunes. They end up looking like some parody 70s NS follower, which just isnt right in the 21st centuary. On the other hand, there are young people who do get it right and have a good approach. (I wouldn't say I fit into either of those camps, as I'm far more involved with the scooter scene).

There are some who are bringing their own slant to it, fair play to 'em.

And there are some who are just regurgitating Wigan '75, what's the point ???

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Free records?! I'm all for the young 'uns getting into the music whichever way they want, good on 'em I say, but I don't keep telling them how good they are, nor does just about everyone I know, but WTF should a few free records be whats needed to encourage them?! Should 'old folks' who are just fing soul music - and there's been a few join up on here lately - be given free records too? 

I would like some good original free 45s to stop my interest flagging, and to make sure I help keep the scene alive - for those young 'uns that will be here when I've gone....

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick a little there, I'm not suggesting that records should be given as a matter of course to any young Tom, Dick or Harry. However, if theres someone you know personally and you are impressed by their enthusiasm for collecting you might want to share the fun a little with them? A lot of you older guys have collections stretching into the thousands and I'm sure you've all got a few duplicates kicking about... No harm in passing some of them on surely? Even I've done that... I'm not suggesting an original FW more like a Four Tops...

Edited by NorthernJordan
Social source share

ditto - leave 'em in the woodshed if I'm out with the dogs   :yes:  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick a little there, I'm not suggesting that records should be given as a matter of course to any young Tom, Dick or Harry. However, if theres someone you know personally and you are impressed by their enthusiasm for collecting you might want to share the fun a little with them? A lot of you older guys have collections stretching into the thousands and I'm sure you've all got a few duplicates kicking about... No harm in passing some of them on surely? Even I've done that... I'm not suggesting an original FW more like a Four Tops...

To be honest mate, I read your post just as you meant it. Not as if any younger folk would expect it but if I still had a collection and knew of some young lad or lass who was genuinely keen I'd more than likely pass 'em a few inexpensive duplicates or items I no longer wanted just to help 'em on their way.

If they expected it they'd get f**k all ... it'd be my choice who and what.

Social source share

However, young people being fairly uncommon on the scene seem to have a rediculous ammount of praise lauded upon them. They have their egos messaged and fed, and they end up feeling they are some how better than most and they know far more than they do... When in reality, they offer nothing new, different or progressive playing the same tunes. They end up looking like some parody 70s NS follower, which just isnt right in the 21st centuary. On the other hand, there are young people who do get it right and have a good approach. (I wouldn't say I fit into either of those camps, as I'm far more involved with the scooter scene).

Well said Jordan.

I've always thought it's not as special if it's spoon fed to you. To discover things is exciting.

Anyone who has the gumption to realise that soul music is good, can't be all bad, the rest of it's just detail. I'd love to say I was at the Wheel, Torch, the Mecca, Catts and Wigan, but I wasn't. Peterborough, Buzzard, Leicester, St Ives and the 100 Club were the options open to me at the start and I made the best of it. I think that's the thing learned on this thread is that you just make the best of it when it comes along.

:hatsoff2: to the young Bears still and it's still not wrong to revere the likes of Soul Sam.  :)

Social source share

Northern Jorden, We where all young once" I think,  I've met you and your friends and have been impressed with your Attitude out there.

Here's me hoping that we would move the Soul Scene forward and not die a death, So to all you young guns- KEEP ON KEEPING ON. Rod  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Social source share

I go to Europe quite a lot and meet the open minded youngsters there.They seem a lot sharper in regards to clothes and music.A lot of it is not my cup of tea as they are influenced by crossover,mid tempo and r n b but they are into original records and new sounds In a big way.The UK kids in the limelight are those involved in the film who are into oldies and the seventies clobber.Are they going to drop this when the film is out and interest subsided.The former youngsters I'm.more interested in as they have forged their own scene with international links while the UK is focused on the Pharrell Williams baggy trousered film kids.They seem like chalk and cheese.

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Institches

I've loved my northern soul since I was 13 and sneaking onto the Saturday night coach /bus from Burnley through to the Highland Room at Blackpool Mecca and I've brought my own family up to love it too. 

I'm now approaching 60 and get the same buzz walking into a venue with those same old adored tunes blasting out....and am usually to be found somewhere at least one night every weekend!!! 

Im getting a bit creaky in the knees and hips but dance to my own personal faves and it keeps me young at heart....probably helping to wear the knees out but what a way to go!!! 

I see the young followers around at several venues and to watch their passion is heartwarming .....however...there are times when they take over the floor and they take up a lot of space and I've felt a little intimidated and have sat out on several occasions recently when I would have been "out on the floor" .

So if any of you are reading this.....give a little consideration please to those of us old enough to be your granny and give us a bit of space to dance.....you did probably learn your moves from watching us and first heard the music from us when you were in your prams. I do respect you. 

Social source share

I will .........A big thumbs up for Pete who has just discovered rare 50's RnB....it's pioneers like him that keep this scene ..............no idea what i'm on about sorry ..........just wanted to make you feel special xx

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I will .........A big thumbs up for Pete who has just discovered rare 50's RnB....it's pioneers like him that keep this scene ..............no idea what i'm on about sorry ..........just wanted to make you feel special xx

Acknowledgement at last, thank you Groundskeeper Willie!

Social source share

Maybe some promoters could set up record banks at their events and any philanthropic collectors could donate a few discs, then any impoverished soul fans could queue up for a soul pack.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe some promoters could set up record banks at their events and any philanthropic collectors could donate a few discs, then any impoverished soul fans could queue up for a soul pack.

There was a fantastic piece about young people in Manifesto magazine years ago, written by the 'one and only' Mr Potato Head. It included them having to hide behind a bush on the other side of the road from the venue, and look at the queue for at least 6 months before even thinking about joining it!.....Be great if someone could post the article up.......I'll start wading through my pile of mags.......Hang on that don't read quite right :excl::D 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - Young people don't need, or ask for any help - The gooduns will find their own way (respectfully) :wink: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!