Bobby Wells Let's Copp A Groove

Jez Jones

The white demo/promo was definitely bootlegged/counterfeited.

Probably done early in the history of the "scene".

It is mentioned in the 5th edition of Manship's price guide.

I can't see this happening.  It was commonly available on UK Beacon, why would they bootleg it?  Plus I've never seen one, which I know doesn't count for much but in 40 years and out of 100,000 records...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't see this happening.  It was commonly available on UK Beacon, why would they bootleg it?  Plus I've never seen one, which I know doesn't count for much but in 40 years and out of 100,000 records...

Pete

The Beacon release doesn't have the instrumental flip (Psychedelic Theme) which was the side played in the early 70's , so could have been booted for this .I've never seen a demo boot but used to have an issue bought from Bradford market.

Rick

Social source share

I know what you mean, but it does exist as a counterfeit. Different width of the dead wax, pressed with low volume (the original is super loud) etc. A quite convincing bootleg, but with obviously "copied" label details (poor definition to the outlines of the text) if you have an original side by side to compare it with. I've had it and sold it.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I know what you mean, but it does exist as a counterfeit. Different width of the dead wax, pressed with low volume (the original is super loud) etc. A quite convincing bootleg, but with obviously "copied" label details (poor definition to the outlines of the text) if you have an original side by side to compare it with. I've had it and sold it.

No argument mate, just don't recall it that's all.  Agree with what Rick says above too, instrumentals were massive in the early 70's.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL... NEVER BOOTED. Both versions were big plays at the TWISTED WHEEL 69 both played from the US COPY. The 1st BEACON copy was almost impossible to order, problems at pressing plant meant the release was 1 month early BEACON used the YELLOW label on all 1st issues. making "lets cop a groove" rare. my 1st copy was on the white EMI dist label from 1970. 

If the record was BOOTED I have never seen one :thumbsup: DAVE

Social source share

I remember a rash of these at the beginning of the 70's actually. Labels were terrible and the sound quality virtually rendered 'em unplayable.....

Ian  :D

Ian

Sounds like a typical House of Sounds/John LaMont bootleg especially with the Philly connection, but I don't remember it being around.I don't think Selectadisc were selling it so probably not a Simon Soussan disc.

Rick

Social source share

Ian

Sounds like a typical House of Sounds/John LaMont bootleg especially with the Philly connection, but I don't remember it being around.

Rick

That's exactly where I think it came from. An interesting label. There seemed to be a lot of water-damaged copies of "Be's That Way Sometimes" around too at the time.

Another title from this period was the awful pressing of Bobbi Lynn's "Jump Back In The Arms Of Love" on Look. What the hell was that all about.....?

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

That's exactly where I think it came from. An interesting label. There seemed to be a lot of water-damaged copies of "Be's That Way Sometimes" around too at the time.

Another title from this period was the awful pressing of Bobbi Lynn's "Jump Back In The Arms Of Love" on Look. What the hell was that all about.....?

Ian D :

Ian

Let's Cop a Groove could have just about been worth booting for the instrumental flip as they were big then but ,as you say ,their were some really crazy titles pressed back then. I suspect House of Sounds or someone in Philadelphia was getting wants lists from the UK and pressing anything they had a copy of, or contact with a label owner. Ed Balbier at Global imported some real turkeys at the time, all poor sound quality and thin vinyl.

Rick

Edited by Rick Cooper
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL... Interesting I am sure SOUL CITY had original copies of "cop a groove" plus "be that way" in stock prior to the BEACON release? however even if they did, maybe it did get a limited bootleg run? need to see a scan of it,

In 72 "be that way" was a big TORCH sound and had become very hard to find a decent copy, and I'm sure that was never booted, also it would have mad a good BEACON release, I remember, (going of subject) finding other great records on BEACON, the CHI LITES "LOVE BANDIT" was a hard one to find in 72 :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

So confusing all the different variations of the different labels, pressings, boots etc, hell of a lot to learn for the un-initiated!

Have heard the expression in the context 'Cop a feel'... Usually uttered by an older woman in a dark corner of an alniter.

Even after 40 years of collecting it's still confusing.   Learning all the time!

Social source share

On 12 September 2016 at 16:15, Sean Hampsey said:

The Turkish copy will have been leased from the UK, as opposed from the USA, via Beacon on the strength of the UK label's success with the Showstoppers.

Makes a neat double sider!

:thumbsup:

Sean

I've got the Turkish one, not dinked and in original sleeve, unfortunately although mint, Showstoppers side sounds like it's been dubbed off a well played copy, "Copp" side plays much better, Beacon's distribution was picked up in the Uk by EMI, Whose HMV Imprint was its outlet in Turkey at the time.

image.jpeg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!