Art Gentry - This Is My Chance / Kent Sampler

Mal C

anybody got the Kent sampler, that featured 'Gentry - This Is My Chance'? Might have been 10 or 12", cant remember...

also an LP of Detroit stuff that came out in the late 8ts/early 9ts, has a never issued version of I'm Human too by Clifford Binns on it, Carrie LP, that was it, lots of Unissued Detroit  Northern.. Gene flogged on on here couple years back for £30...

malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Had on offer on the Kent Sampler, which is five times what I'm prepared to pay for it, so best to make my offer on here, £50.. thats what I'll pay.. and it must be at least VG++

if you dont agree, Pls dont add your comments here, I'd ask you to politely start a new thread...

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Yep 90 or possibly 100…..No more. Just came with a plain white label in a plain white cardboard sleeve with a Kent sticker in the top corner with the track listing. Ady didn't have the card sleeves when he gave me mine,just a plain paper sleeve. He said "You'll have to make do" !    :) …..Good stuff on that too,all Aware/Hotlanta unissued[at the time]….

Good luck Mal, probably a hard piece to track down now….It'll come from a DJ collection now I would have thought,

best, Ivor

Social source share

that told me then didn't it...  I knew it was limited, remember when it came out..but what can you do.

happy to put it out there, and if anybody wants to come back with a reasonable price I'm all ears, but its not worth hundreds of pounds, thats my view and I'm sticking to it...we can argue the toss on this 'Other' thread cant we.... :dash2:  ~ Laughs...

Malcolm

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It would be interesting to see a list of who actually has a copy & so maybe work out how many 'known copies' there are.

I was fortunate to get a copy at the time it was promoted along with Sean, Kev & Tats as we were doing our Soul Solution event then.

We put out tapes on each event and the Art Gentry track was actually my choice for one of them. I forget what the others chose off hand.

Good luck in your search!

Social source share

Is this the one in question:

A1 John Edwards (3) Tin Man   A2 Sam Dees Meet Me Halfway   A3 John Edwards (3) How Can I Go On Without You   A4 Sam Dees Run To Me   B1 Little Royal Little Royal Freeze   B2 Little Royal Keep On Loving   B3 Loleatta Holloway Mrs. So & So's Daughter   B4 Art Gentry This Is My Chance
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It would be interesting to see a list of who actually has a copy & so maybe work out how many 'known copies' there are.

I was fortunate to get a copy at the time it was promoted along with Sean, Kev & Tats as we were doing our Soul Solution event then.

We put out tapes on each event and the Art Gentry track was actually my choice for one of them. I forget what the others chose off hand.

Good luck in your search!

I guess most copies are "lost" nowadays. Tucked away at the back of the collection of some music business promotion guy or offloaded at the local 2nd hand record shop.

Social source share

Most went to active Djs on the scene at the time (late 90s?) who were playing 70s/Crossover stuff in their sets.

That makes more sense I guess.

But 96/97 more likely. I won my own copy in the Shades of Soul competition but got a second copy shortly later from a local funk collector. He got it from Kent but didn't know what to do with it, wasn't funky enough for him.

Social source share

We have a copy too.I think it came from Mick Smith,or possibly Rod Dearlove,not long after it appeared.When you think how many are tied up in collections,it must make it a real tough one to find these days.Saying that,i think it would be very hard to price if selling.I wonder how it would do on John Manships auction,for instance.Full of great tracks,though a few did get released on 7'' by kent later on.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I can't remember now for sure but I seem to remember the John Edwards CD of Aware stuff being out at the time,[might have been just after the vinyl promo though], The Promo LP being an attempt to get more spins from the DJs. Cant remember if the Little Royal, Loleatta Holloway & Art Gentry tracks came out on anything else [CD]…….Tin Man and How Can I Go On Without You[both John Edwards],both came out later on Kent 45. They were my favourites…..Particularly Tin Man….Brilliant !

Social source share

I can't remember now for sure but I seem to remember the John Edwards CD of Aware stuff being out at the time,[might have been just after the vinyl promo though], The Promo LP being an attempt to get more spins from the DJs. Cant remember if the Little Royal, Loleatta Holloway & Art Gentry tracks came out on anything else [CD]…….Tin Man and How Can I Go On Without You[both John Edwards],both came out later on Kent 45. They were my favourites…..Particularly Tin Man….Brilliant !

Yep Tin Man was is my favourite too. Cracking. First had that on a tape from Gavin P.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 months later...