B.b. King - Any Northern Plays?

Caught up with the BB King TV documentary last night. Got me wondering , has  any BB King track been played over the years.

I know a few of his tunes, quite like what I've heard but I can only , off the top of my head, think of "The Hurt" and I'm not sure if that was spun...any more ?

Social source share

My tip is the two sider 'help the poor' B/W 'I wouldn't have it any other way' on ABC Paramount. Not the re-recording of 'HTP' on ABC !!!

bb king i wouldn't have it any other way

excellent track

thanks

Social source share

I play Bad Luck Soul an I Quit My Baby but as R and B dancers, I don't think he ever recorded a record that was more soul than blues did he? I ain't tried the ones above yet.

Give "Help the door" a try. A great record. And definitely soul. Straight on my wants list.

Social source share

Caught up with the BB King TV documentary last night. Got me wondering , has any BB King track been played over the years.

I know a few of his tunes, quite like what I've heard but I can only , off the top of my head, think of "The Hurt" and I'm not sure if that was spun...any more ?

What channel mate, so I can watch on "catch up"

Thanks ... Phil

Social source share

What channel mate, so I can watch on "catch up"

Thanks ... Phil

Phil

it was a Blues night on BBC (Probably 4). 2 part Blues in USA.....Blues at BBC........and BB King Documentary.

Will probably be repeated....keep an eye out.

Social source share

My tip is the two sider 'help the poor' B/W 'I wouldn't have it any other way' on ABC Paramount. Not the re-recording of 'HTP' on ABC !!!

bb king i wouldn't have it any other way

Help the poor - what a great track. There is an ABC issue that is an instrumental of htp too, or is that what you mean? Edited by penny
Social source share

Help the poor - what a great track. There is an ABC issue that is an instrumental of htp too, or is that what you mean?

Yeah, maybe. heard it once and was put off by listening to it. It's a later cut (1971), maybe a live/gig recording of some sort with those endless twirling guitar solos. Nothing like this nitty gritty1964 studio recording.

Social source share

I suppose it was inevitable with his vast output and that Help The Poor 45 is spot on early soul I slightly prefer the I Wouldn't Have It side. The Probe 45 is very good too and I didn't know Poontwangie though that's more R&B of course. No Motown influenced sides though the Probe one is in that area. Better Not Look Down is a great 70s soul style number with a killer line in the middle which I'll let you spot yourselves if you don't know it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

something about the queen of England...

sounds familiar.. not heard it since about 1978...need to check you tube!

I'm assuming it's the same song....cupid's arrows making BB look like a porcupine

Social source share

something about the queen of England...

sounds familiar.. not heard it since about 1978..

---------------------------------------------------------

" You better not look down "

ref 'Poontwangie'.  I have it, surprisingly, its from 1971, sounds much earlier

Edited by IanP
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Picked one up before he passed away and i definitely remember hearing it played out a good few years ago "long gone baby "on Kent ...if someone is technically minded perhaps they could put it on here ??? Thanks if you do !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!