"only Your Love Can Save Me" Bettye Lavette - Multiple Recordings?

Ljblanken

I just heard a couple of files of this song. they seem to differ in the refrain; how she paces the words "only your love" at the end each verse.

this is the one i am familiar with

and the other one i heard was on US Calla and seemed to differ from the other in the refrain (like at seconds 38-40 of the youtube posted one). is that true of all of the Calla ones?

Social source share

Well after a listening is rather just the mastering works that alters so much the sound. The take is the same 100%. A lot of people are gonna hate me here for this, but my ears are American and I'm just not used to those British mastering works. They do alter the sound so much it becomes another tune. I never really got into those UK Tamla Motown and favored my US's release and so beautiful and collectible Holland Artone press that do sound just like the US's.

Social source share

A lot depends on how the contributer recorded the clips,in terms of volume or

whether extra bass or mid tone was applied to their recording.

These Youtube clips, may or may not be accurate to the label shown on the video:

Pama:

https://youtu.be/sA-sa8dUy44

Cala:

the calla version played here is the same recording as the stateside i listed in the first post. i swear to god, however, that i have heard another calla copy that differs at seconds 38-40 (where, instead of staggering out the words "on-ly your love" - she says them at a faster clip.

i am waiting to see if i can get the copy that has the different vocal phrasing and post a clip. i promise i am not crazy!

Social source share

I thought that I had listened to another version of I am Just A Fool For You, I have the Calla single but this other mix was off a calla port CD. Don Gardner productions??????? is this the same Don!!! Who can make a sweet song on one side and a power house on the other...

Like My Baby Likes To Boogaloo compared to Is This Really Love.???

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

On a slightly different tangent, I've noticed that Jean Wells "with my love and what you got" (on Calla) got two releases and both are slightly different. Like you say on this release, it's just a slight variation in her phrasing which kinda jars when you're used to hearing it different. So maybe Calla weren't averse to having variations, or maybe it's just co-incidence...

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Interested in UK Pama releases - just bought Betty Lavette from Ray M and was wondering how and why these occasional soul sides got picked up by a predominantly reggae label - were they already Wheel spins on import? Can imagine Betty L 'Feel good all over' at the Wheel - anyone confirm?

A couple of Bobby Patterson sides on Pama also, plus seem to think some Jean Wells (appears to have been a Calla connection).

I recall both Betty L sides being popular c. 1990 with Mark Bicknell I think spinning 'Feel good all over' at Droylseden, etc, and Richard S 'Only your love' a lot at the time too - any memories of either side previous to that? 

Cheers, Chris.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!