Early 80S Niters, East Scotland

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Aberdeen music hall,Arbroath,smokies,Dundee marryat,Edinburgh various venues.Bilston miners,anyone got recollections of these niters.?'

All of them apart from Smokies to be honest, I only went there once. Bilston was much later, and one of the first of the new breed of Scottish niters, possibly 88ish, Butch dj'd right after me at that, and danced to at least 2 of my records, although sure he told me later he had itchy jeans on after and was just on his way over to tell me to get off.

Aberdeen was huge hall, with the seats behind the stage, and that and Dundee were early on in my nighter days, so a bit more scary, lots of tops off and big eyes. And funny speaking people. Exciting days. Keep think it needs written up,

And off course the Daddy of them all Clouds, still my most exciting nighter as it was my first. More later, including the planes on the ceiling at Clouds and one being left on the floor one time? I didn't imagine it did I :D

Sure we might know each other based on the journey, although your user name just makes me feel bloated. :D

Social source share

Alas,I never went to clouds,it may have shut before my time,nov82 musichall,I enjoyed Edinburgh up until the hooligan thing took off,Edinburgh became like dodge city if you were from Aberdeen.must admit I wasn't receptive to the New breed of niters for a couple of years,found them at times devoid of atmosphere and the empty dance floors, which did happen more than some would like too admit,but I percivered,and loved the last couple of years at shotts n went down the road to likes of Keele to get that big venue atmosphere,then on to Crewe dayer,but that's a nother story.;-)

Social source share

Guest Invictus

All of them apart from Smokies to be honest, I only went there once. Bilston was much later, and one of the first of the new breed of Scottish niters, possibly 88ish, Butch dj'd right after me at that, and danced to at least 2 of my records, although sure he told me later he had itchy jeans on after and was just on his way over to tell me to get off.

Aberdeen was huge hall, with the seats behind the stage, and that and Dundee were early on in my nighter days, so a bit more scary, lots of tops off and big eyes. And funny speaking people. Exciting days. Keep think it needs written up,

And off course the Daddy of them all Clouds, still my most exciting nighter as it was my first. More later, including the planes on the ceiling at Clouds and one being left on the floor one time? I didn't imagine it did I :D

Sure we might know each other based on the journey, although your user name just makes me feel bloated. :D

You forgot to mention the big American Cadillac in the cafe area and the liquorice allsorts seats in the foyer. Fantastic  venue.

Social source share

Ta,I remember that one,loved musichall niters,fantastic atmosphere,if not a bit scary as a 16 yr old,some o the people frequenting niters back then were scary dudes.!!haha

Social source share

Speaking of scary fellas,my first niter,still a few guys wi long leather coats.one guy exuded malevolence,was reliably told a few year later,this guy carried a sword in his,check list for niter,bag,clothes,deodrant,cash fags,gear,sword.oh and I was told he was a psycho.!!mmm kinda gathered that myself.;-)

Social source share

Don't know if this is relevant but myself, my wife and our friends Martin & Mandy were in Dalaman in Turkey last October.

i was testing out a Blue Tooth speaker on one of the stalls in the market and had the Velvets - I've Got To Find Me Somebody playing on it through my phone.

The sound was wonderful and a Scottish lad came up and said it was a long time since he had heard it.

He was from Aberdeen and said he had started off with the oldies but had moved on to the newer stuff.

Big lad, bald head, built like a brick shithouse with a really nice wife (very tall, blond girl).

Anyone know who he is cause I would like to contact him.

Social source share