Worped Records No More?

post-1986-1152197333.gif,them Germans have done it again :thumbsup: or have they? :rolleyes:record flatter with AIR TIGHT disc flatter :thumbsup: Edited by ken
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Presume its a piece of glass on a flat base which heats up when plugged in?

Dunno`,looks like you stikc it in the oven :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The Japanese have made a machine for doing this, essential part to avoid distortion is a slow heat up and slow cool down, think it only works on LPs though. Sells for about a grand. This probably works the same.

Social source share

My philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I think care should be taken when trying to remedy warps. If a record is still quite playable, I don't even bother trying to flatten it. I'm a bit sceptical of this device, as skimming/polishing records often involves a heat process, so I wonder if records will also end up with an unnatural shine to them?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

My philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I think care should be taken when trying to remedy warps. If a record is still quite playable, I don't even bother trying to flatten it. I'm a bit sceptical of this device, as skimming/polishing records often involves a heat process, so I wonder if records will also end up with an unnatural shine to them?

Gene

The idea is that it very slowly warms the vinyl and cools it very slowly so that it doesn't cause that sort of damage. Isn't vinyl a super cooled liquid or something so this just enhances its malleability without making its structure collapse. The hot/warm oven trick is more likely to cause damage because the vinyl/styrene is inconsistent in the way it is made and so you can cock up if you aren't careful. But like you, unless terminal I tend to let my warps be.

Social source share

It would have to be a slow cool off if the glass is heated.

Vinyl quickly cools from its moulding soft temperature to hard state,

Agree in leaving them alone, if a record clamp can hold it flat then use one!

Failing that i place it on turntable, heat affected area with hair dryer and when you see any movement quick as a flash place another disc ontop and gently press down holding for a few seconds for it to cool enough.

BE WARNED!

Pressing too hard may transfer top record impression to the repaired disc giving subliminal reversed devil message qualities to your recording! Never use a Frank Ifield or Liza Zavaroniaaaaa as your top press record because these really sound terrible running backwards!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!