Soulsville 1St Anniversary - Tickets

Guest Jamie

Just to let you know that I've had a couple of emails from people due to work commitments are unable to make it to the 'SMALL' event of the year.

If anyone would like the tickets please PM me or send me an email

jamien1@btinternet.com

If you haven't heard of this event, please see the link:

It's getting very close and I'm really looking forward to a good Soul Source get-together.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
  • Replies 119
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

Jamie I cant make it mate. :angry:

Girly stuck in Scotland for an extra night, (I'm not jealous...grr). smile.gif

I think, if she hasnt run off with a hairy arsed Kilt wearer, i may be going somewhere closer to home, like Cagney's in Bournemouth.

Sorry mate

Mikey

Jamie I cant make it mate. :angry:

Girly stuck in Scotland for an extra night, (I'm not jealous...grr). blink.gif

I think, if she hasnt run off with a hairy arsed Kilt wearer, i may be going somewhere closer to home, like Cagney's in Bournemouth.

Sorry mate

Mikey

link

Tis a blow Mikey,

Was looking forward to talking about loads more stuff again, and then forgetting it all by the next day :)

We must do it again sometime!!! :)

Jamie

Here's the DJ line-up for tomorrow:

7:00 - 7:45 Janine Snow & Karen Crane

7:45 - 8:30 John or Ali

8:30 - 9:15 Craig Westwood

9:15 - 10:00 Andy Faulkner

10:00 - 10:45 John or Ali

10:45 - 11:30 Dave Abbott

11:30 - 12:30 Pat Brady

12:30 - 1:15 Brett Franklin

1:15 - 2:15 Jamie & Rich

2:15 - 3:00 John May

*We reserve the right to change the above subject to mental/physical health of the DJ at the times they are due on.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie

Here's the DJ line-up for tomorrow:

7:00 - 7:45 Janine Snow & Karen Crane

7:45 - 8:30 Shute (or John & Ali)

8:30 - 9:15 Craig Westwood

9:15 - 10:00 Andy Faulkner

10:00 - 10:45 John & Ali

10:45 - 11:30 Dave Abbott

11:30 - 12:30 Pat Brady

12:30 - 1:15 Brett Franklin

1:15 - 2:15 Jamie & Rich

2:15 - 3:00 John & Ali (or Dave A)

Shute might not be able to make it, so where John & Ali were double-decking @ 10-10.45 they will fill the slot, and Dave Abbott will take over the final slot.

*We reserve the right to change the above subject to mental/physical health of the DJ at the times they are due on.

Jamie

link

Some of the DJ's may struggle if Reggie gets his way with the chainsaw :P

Unfortunately, Mr Shute has got the central heating bloke coming round tomorrow, so kind Mr John May has stepped in and saved the day.

Huzzah for Mr John May (And his special teeth)

J

Looks like i'm the first to hit the P.C today, so just a quick mention about last nights Tip Top soul night at Soulsville ( Leeds ). i think I can safely say everyone who attended had an enjoyable night, tip top music, and a great atmosphere..

So a big pat on the back for jamie for putting it on, so many soul sources there, it was really nice putting a face to a name, karen C, Ali , Trevski, Rich, Shane H, great to meet you all for the first time. And of course not to forget Brett, Dave Abbott, Janine, Johnny One trout and the gang.

I think in all the years I've been on the soul scene, its the first time i've been to such a venue. Down some steps of the street into a cellar bar with a low ceiling, the atmosphere was brilliant, and everyone there seemed to get into the mood of the night.

Head full of tunes this morning, too many to list, however come on D.J's if you can remember whwt you all played lets have a few playlists.

Top Night, thanks

John & Dian

Yep great night! Thanks to Jamie & Rich!

Nice to meet a few more soul-sourcers, John May, AndyF, Craig W and RichB.

Judging by the cameras everywhere we should be sseing some less than flattering pics very soon - watch this space!

Shane

Yep great night! Thanks to Jamie & Rich!

Nice to meet a few more soul-sourcers, John May, AndyF, Craig W and RichB.

Judging by the cameras everywhere we should be sseing some less than flattering pics very soon - watch this space!

Shane

link

I'd imagine there's a few of you bustin' up the dancefloor :shades:

Did everyone get a CD? If you didn't let me know & I'll post you one.

Ta very much for coming you lot.

Jamie

Well what a night, absolutely blinding, really was a special day, meeting all the Soul Sourcers who DJ'd. Thought all the sets were tremendous Janine & Karen are an absolute neccesity if you wanna have a brilliant time (Karen what was that incredible Solomon Burke track you played?) Craig W and Andy F played some tremendous vinyl, dance floor action all the way in this exciting and tight little venue. John and Ali got me wishing i had brought my pen and wants book along, must have all these playlists. Dave Abbott throwing the Royal Esquires into the mix, just cranked up the atmosphere to melting point, place now frantic and the high octane dancers just kept pumping.Pat Brady on after Dave and the headliner didn't disappoint, calling on years of experience Pat just kept producing the goods, a pleasure and a little daunting to follow the great man, but with my man Shane Higgins in my corner my nerves soon left and enjoyed my selection of tunes.John May up after me and i must say that the more i see and hear this fellow the more i like his choice in rare Soul, really fantastic set, the two key players brought the place to a close, but not before Jamie and Rich trailblazed a path right into the very soul of the club, playing an eclectic and wonderful mix of rare 60's and 70's vinyl. Rich Buckley nice fellow that he is kindly put me up and we then listened while 5.30 am to some more of his fantastic collection, brilliant night with real deal soulies, this is the way i like it, good to see Trevski,Steve Cato and Paul Sadot at the "Soulsville" anniversary. :shades:

Edited by Brett

First of all apologies for leaving a little early but it had been very a long day and I wanted to make an early start back to Wolverhampton because my car played up a little on the way up and I wanted to go the scenic non motorway back(ended up) in North Wales for some reason.. :lol:

Had a really great time especially meeting everyone although some of the different accents took some working out as people came so far from all parts of the country but what lovely folks all of you are.Thanks for all the great gifts although I think I left my T shirt at Baby Jupiter which I hope someone picked up for me. :lol:

Fantastic little venue with music and atmosphere to match and some of the clothing worn was like bieng back in the 60s which added to it all , was a real experience.

Thanks to Karen & Janine for trying to get Dawn to divorce me (You failed miserably because she still loves me) :lol: and on a more serious note John for showing me how to work the decks and special thanks to Rich & Jamie two of the nicest lads you will ever meet for organising such a great night a lot of it at there own expense.Hope you have every success in the future although you might need a bigger venue :shades:

It was a great night, and great company all you soul sourcers are :shades:

The Solomon Burke track was Stupidity Brett.

I would like to say that everyone played good sets, a real mix of music from R&B,motown, oldies,modern and northern. Something for everyone, including two men almost being de-bagged :lol:

I will put some photos up later, thanks to Jamie and Rich for inviting us up

Guest Johnny One Trout

Well what can i say we had an absolutely superb night even if did arrive a little late barely in time for our first spot (Somehow we ended up in Wigan!!! Yeah i know weird :( ) Great to meet up with everyone and especially meeting Stevie baby for the first time felt like i've known you for ages (the power of the internet eh :shades: ) Some fantastic music played all night Janine and Karen double decking and even playing decent records :lol: Craig did a cracking spot as a relative novice well done matey, Andy F looking slightly bewildered having been kidnapped and forced out of the Smoke :lol: Brett with a superb mid tempo spot to die for Disco Dave superb as ever (some seriously nice records son) John May again was superb as was the headliner Pat Brady (but you'd expect that :lol: ) and rapping up the night Rich and Jamien were excellent particularly J slipping in some inspired cheesy choice cuts i think playlists are in order please from everyone.

Anyway here's what we played in our two sets not neccesarily in order though they seem to have gotten jumbled in the box :P

1st Set

Dave Love - Baby Hard Times - Worlds

Moses Smith - Come on and let me love you - Cotillion

Betty Lloyd - I'm catching on - BSC

San Franciscan TKO's - Make up your mind - Kent

Deon Jackson - Love makes the world go round - UK Atlantic

Percy and Them - Look in the mirror of my eyes - Roulette

Jades - LOVE I love you - Imperial

Voicemasters - If a woman catches a fool - Bamboo

Sonny Craver - I'm no fool - Teri De

The Mob - I dig everything about you - Colossus

California Rock Choir - Whoever you are - Cyclone

George Hughley - That's why i cry - Buddah

Othello Robinson - So in luv - Era

Viola Wills - Have i got news for you - Supreme

The Intrigues - I'm gonna love you - Yew

The Exceptional 3 ft Ruby Carter - Unlucky Girl - Way Out

Summits - I can't get over losing you - Dontee

2nd Set

Wee - Try Me - Owl

Frankie Zhivago Young - Somebody stole my love - Ultra

Bessie Banks - Don't you worry baby - Quality

Oggletree Brothers - Gonna keep a check on you - Treetop

Laura Lee - (If you want to try love again) Remember me - Hot Wax

Barbara Mason - You better stop it - Arctic

Betty Everett - My love to lean on - Sound Stage 7

Spartans - I don't need another lover - Era

Choice of Colour - Your love - Apt

Timeless Legend - Iwas born to love you - Dawn Lite (with extra special extended instrumental intro wink.gif )

Ruby Winters - Better - Diamond

The Three Prophets - I think i really love you - Together

Jato Vondell - Having a good time - Gregory

Masterpiece - Love affair - YPSI

Norma Jean - I've taken over - Hep'Me

Bobby Reed - The time is right for love - Bell

Thanks to Rich and Jamie for a fantastic evening's entertainment, oh and i have a confession i woke up this morning with some of the CD's shute did still in our bag, i know i dished about half of them out but if you didn't get one can you mail me off list with your address and i will post them out to you all.

Trouty xx

Great to hear 'San Franciscan TKO's - Make up your mind' !!!

Love that tune John. It was one of the first 45s I heard upon my arrival last night and it kick started a great night.

Shane

Has Dobie Gray - Out on the floor ever been played so many times in one night , 15 times at my last count.

Another strange thing was a youngish girl came up to me and asked if I had The Snake by Al Wilson which I obviously had not took and she looked really hurt when I said no. She said she was working on a student project into the soul scene.

Anyway here is what i can remember of what I played in no order 8.30 - 9.15.

I cant wait any longer - Big Mig Maybelle- Rojac.

I just dont know what to do with myself - Cissy Houston - Pye Int.

Why when love has gone - Isley Bros - Tamla.

This thing called love - Johnny Wyatt - President.

Lets wade in the water - Marlena Shaw - Cadet.

Gonna get along without you now - The Vibrations - Okeh.

Aint gonna let you get me down - Don Gardner - Tru Glo Town.

Watchdog - Dorothy Williams - Volt.

Love is like an itching in my heart - Supremes - Motown.

Set my heart at ease - Mikki Farrow - Karate.

He loves me - The Chalfontes - Mercury.

I love the life I live - Tony Michaels - Golden World.

Dont let me down - Fred Hughes - Vee Jay.

When I feel the need - Nick Ashford - Verve

Hey stoney face - Mary Love - Modern.

Ive never loved nobody - Ortheia Barnes - Coral.

Its a sad thing - Ray Pollard - United Artists.

Cant get over these memories - John & the Wierdest - Tie (boot)

Guest Johnny One Trout

Great to hear 'San Franciscan TKO's - Make up your mind' !!!

Love that tune John. It was one of the first 45s I heard upon my arrival last night and it kick started a great night.

Shane

link

A great night indeed Shane great to meet you again i love the SFTKO's to bits as well as we were doing two spots i deliberately played some more accessible tunes that you really don't hear that often, who knows why certainly not on merit we both really enjoyed it to be honest.

Must say a big big thankyou to Jamien for the Cake :lol: with musical candle :shades: and Janine and Karen for the cards and presents you two girls are just so sweet (But don't tell anyone i said that mind!!!) xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And Brett what's this about a Franklin stalkers club???? :lol:

Trouty

In no particular order this is what I played, Janine will post hers later I'm sure.

I think we ended up doing an hour an a half set

Out on the floor - Dobbie Gray request from Dave

Solomon Burke - Stupidity

Deena Johnson & Ricky Davis - Who me? Yeah You !

The Miracles - Whole lot of shakin' in my heart

Jackie Wilson - The who who song

Shane Martin - I need you

Barbara Lewis - Someday were gonna love again

Susan Rafey - Hurt so bad

Jan Bradley - Back in circulation

Doni Burdick - Candle

Mamie Galore - It aint necessary

The Precisions - If this is love

Lee Roye - Tears

Martha Reeves - Show me the way

I'll try and remember what I played, as me & Rich doubled-up for the last hour or so, and it had been a busy day.

I think that with the consistent high quality music played by all the guests, it enabled me & Rich to really play 'Dedications' instead of the usual 'Requests' to finish off.

I can't speak highly enough of all the sets played. And the great thing was that everyone was given a blank canvas to work with, but quality was still maintained. Like I said, it made Rich & me feel very humble.

My Plays:

Huns Review - Don't Make Me Love You - Sorro (For Karen)

Pete Warner - I Just Wanna Spend My Life With You - Polydor (For John M)

Eddie Foster - I Never Knew - In

Vontastics - I'll Never Say Goodbye - Satellite

George Smith - I've Had It - Turntable

Joanie Sommers - Don't Pity Me - WB (For Nini)

Voicemasters - You've Hurt Me Baby - Bamboo

Frederick Hymes III - Time Ain't Gonna Do Me No Favor - Fab Vegas

Archie Bell & Drells - Where Will You Go..... - PIR LP (For Ali)

Madeline & Monticellos - Binding Ring Of Gold - De-Val (For Brett)

Eddie Billups - Shake Off That Dream - Helpp

Soul Bros Inc. - Pyramid - Golden Eye (For Dave A)

And to finish, the last record of the night and closing off NINE hours of fantastic music, another example of my cheese cuts:

Isley Bros. - Harvest For the World - T-Neck

Don't know what was loudest, the record or everyone singing it!!!!

Thanks to Trouty for the Mic tips (Not very experienced with the mic!) 'Jamie, you've got the confidence, but rest it on your chin because you sound gay' (In reference to me holding it too far away!!)

Cheers John :shades:

There might be a few others I missed, I'll have a check when I pick my records up tonight.

Once again, a really big THANK YOU for a night I won't forget!

Edited by Jamie

I'd just like to echo Jamie's comments, we certainly were very humbled. A big big thanks to you all for coming up from so far away to make it a really memorable night (furthest travelled award to Dave for coming all the way from Pompey - picking up people along the way too!) - it really meant an awful lot to us. I'd also like to give a big shout and thanks to Andrew and all the staff at Baby Jupiter who have been brilliant over the last 12 months - cheers fella. Also thanks to Pat Brady who did and ace spot and gave us his support - thanks mate.

Was great to meet you all and as Jamie said, it was certainly a long day - we picked Brett up at the station at 1ish, scarpered back to my house to finish the CDs and hit the bar at Crowne Plaza at about 3ish to meet Dave, Janine, Karen, Andy, Craig, Dawn etc. Suffice to say my memory is a little sketchy (!!) of my half of the playlist from mine and Jamie's spot, but here goes:

Little Jewel - I Want To (Tayster) - for Brett!!

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man (Midas)

Herb Ward - Strange Change (Argo)

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me (Veep)

O Jays - I'll Never Forget You (Imperial)

Tommy Navarro - I Cried My Life Away (De Jac)

Natural Four - Hanging On To A Lie (Boola Boola)

Melvin Moore - All Of A Sudden (Sky Hero)

Tony Troutman - What's The Use (Jer ri) - especially for Trouty's birthday!!!!

Innersection - I'm In Debt To You (Group 5)

Linda Jones - I Just Can't Live My Life (WB)

Was also lovely to meet people like Shane and Little Stevie and as ever was great to see our regulars - too numerous to mention but special shouts to Mark, Dakta Pete, Dave Tasker, Lee, Jamie's Dad (!), Ste Brazil, Johnny Marsden, Sam Collins etc. Apologies if I've left anyone off but once again a big thank you to all of you.

I vaguely recall some bar steward taking a photo of me on Karen and Janine's knees with my flies undone - NOT for public consumption!!

See you all soon!

Rich

Guest Johnny One Trout

Isley Bros. - Harvest For the World - T-Neck

Don't know what was loudest, the record or everyone singing it!!!!

Thanks to Trouty for the Mic tips (Not very experienced with the mic!) 'Jamie, you've got the confidence, but rest it on your chin because you sound gay' (In reference to me holding it too far away!!)

Cheers John  :P

There might be a few others I missed, I'll have a check when I pick my records up tonight.

Once again, a really big THANK YOU for a night I won't forget!

link

An inspired choice to end the night Jamie i was trying to think what it was yesterday but those particular grey cells must have been killed off during the course of the night, don't think i've ever heard that used at a northern night and for me it worked really well (Get in son!!)

The mic tip wasn't so much that you sounded gay, rather that you sounded like a little girl and i felt sorry for your dad :shades::lol: after the tip you still sounded gay obviously just a gay man rather than a gay girl :lol: Hope that clears up any confusion tongue.gif

Seriously you were great and it was a great night. :lol:

Trouty xx

An inspired choice to end the night Jamie i was trying to think what it was yesterday but those particular grey cells must have been killed off during the course of the night, don't think i've ever heard that used at a northern night and for me it worked really well (Get in son!!)

The mic tip wasn't so much that you sounded gay, rather that you sounded like a little girl and i felt sorry for your dad  :shades:   :lol: after the tip you still sounded gay obviously just a gay man rather than a gay girl  :lol: Hope that clears up any confusion  :P

Seriously you were great and it was a great night.  :(

Trouty xx

link

Oh you are awful - but I like you wink.gif

Was a toss up for the last track, was gonna play Marvin & Tammi 'Ain't No Mountain'.

But seem to remember that being played at a certain other 'Small' venue :lol:

Gave it a bash, and it seemed to work. Maybe a signature last choon for 'Soulsville', who knows?!

Play list

Dobie Gray - Out on the floor

The HyTones - You Don't Even Know My Name - Bell 627

Bernie Williams - Ever Again - Bell 768 (stock copy)

The Dynamic Three - You Said Yeah - Del-Val 1004

The Antellects - Love Slave - Flodavieur 804

Kell Osbourne - Law Against A Heartbreaker - Highland 1182

The Moments - Baby I Want You - Hog 1000

The Inmates - This Is The Day - Kopit 127

Walter & The Admerations - Man Oh Man - La Cindy 32769

The Del Larks - Job Opening - Queen City 2004 (demo)

The New Wanderers - Let Me Render My Service To You - Ready 1001

The Springers - Nothing's Too Good For My Baby - Wales 428

The Ivorys - Please Stay - Wand 1152

Walter Wilson - Love Keeps Me Crying - Wand 1153

Play list

The HyTones - You Don't Even Know My Name - Bell 627

Bernie Williams - Ever Again - Bell 768 (stock copy)

The Dynamic Three - You Said Yeah - Del-Val 1004

The Antellects - Love Slave - Flodavieur 804

Kell Osbourne - Law Against A Heartbreaker - Highland 1182

The Moments - Baby I Want You - Hog 1000

The Inmates - This Is The Day - Kopit 127

Walter & The Admerations - Man Oh Man - La Cindy 32769

The Del Larks - Job Opening - Queen City 2004 (demo)

The New Wanderers - Let Me Render My Service To You - Ready 1001

The Springers - Nothing's Too Good For My Baby - Wales 428

The Ivorys - Please Stay - Wand 1152

Walter Wilson - Love Keeps Me Crying - Wand 1153

link

Janine, you forgot the mello souls,I'm sure you played it or was it me?

I really must get my ears sorted Nini as i'm sure that you played OOTF more times than that :lol:

link

The highlight of the night for me, was when we had copies of OOTF on each deck and a spare in our hands, Jamies face was a picture :shades:

The highlight of the night for me, was when we had copies of OOTF on each deck and a spare in our hands, Jamies face was a picture  :shades:

link

Piss funny, one on each deck and one in your hand ready to go on!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and when you were in the OOTF medley, who walks in early but Pat Brady.

Earlier Phone Discussion:

PB:

Jamie, I've heard that all your guest DJ's are gonna play OOTF?

JH:

Nah Pat, take no notice, just a bit of fun. It's not that kind of night......

His face was a picture :shades::lol::lol:

Guest Johnny One Trout

Nini you definately finished with OOTF i remember you having a little paddy fit about something, well funny :shades: I got the impression you wanted to DJ all night :lol:

Daryl Van Trout

Just got a few tracks from Pat Brady:

ROGER HATCHER SWEETEST GIRL IN THE WORLD EXCELLO

ZIRCONS FINDERS KEEPERS CAPITOL

PRIMBOCK SKIGGS THAT WAS YESTERDAY PZAZZ

LITTLE HANK TRY TO UNDERSTAND SOUND STAGE 7

TONY CLARK THE WRONG MAN M-S

VIRGIL HENRY YOU AIN'T SAYIN' NOTHIN' NEW TAMLA

EMANUEL LASKEY RUN FOR MY LIFE THELMA

DENEICE CHANDLER MAMMA I WISH I'D STAYED AT HOME LOCK

CANDI STATON NOW YOU'VE GOT THE UPPER HAND UNITY

DANELLE DARRIS LOVE ME & LEAVE ME COMMERCE

and of course DOBIE GRAY OUT ON THE FLOOR CHARGER

Good grief you must have done well on the door on Saturday then Jamie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whistling.gif:lol:

Daryl Van Trout

link

Damn you Dragon you!

Did I forget to mention that was his playlist and NOT my recent purchases from him?

I think OOTF is in my league price-wise, and he had to borrow that!!! :lol: