This R&b Thing ?

Guest Dave Ward

a couple of good 45s that are deffo 60s rhythm n blues 45s

Not as keen on the "Duane Yates" but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. posted another so 3 out of 4.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

I would say the mod scene in Birmingham and Coventry never really embraced Northern Soul, certainly not to the degree that the rest of the UK mod scene did.... So if the clubs you frequented were in those areas Toad then I can appreciate your view....ironically Tony Reynolds probably now plays more Northern when he DJs than he ever did back then!

i did a few in Liverpool and London to. Tony was a very popular DJ a good bloke
Social source share

i did a few in Liverpool and London to. Tony was a very popular DJ a good bloke

He's still out and about, saw him at Keele last year as well as a few record fairs in West Mids...usually rooting through Mick Smiths stock.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I was very active on the (retro?) mod scene mid to late 80s and plenty of Northern was played....not sure where you were going but it was definitely there....in fact, a lot of the Northern 45s in my collection were bought during that period and I was DJing and promoting plenty of mod events at that time?

That period in time was when Northern really started to kick in with the Younger mods/scooterists down south until most either became a casual or got married and disappeared.  Scooter rallies started to get northern played and late 90s saw an influx of Northern rooms appearing too.  Sadly the same friiggin tunes are still getting played at most rallies as they was in late 90s by useless fooking djs thinking they are the dogs danglies.   If people think the northern scene is in a mess they wanna try doing a year of scooter rallies   :ohmy:

Social source share

hayes cotton, brooks brothers, bud harper, carl underwood, otis lee, and ray agee in the 80s

jeezus, the scene always had amazing 60s rnb records played out every week

thats why i got into allnighers then, as a young mod 

Anyone who says this is a northern soul record is missing my point

i used to attend all nighters in the 80s just to hear 60s rnb rarities

this a up-tempo 60s rnb record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1xbuJqq2hU

This is a Northern Soul record with bells on.  Just because it's Ray Agee doesn't make it an R&B record.  IF you told someone, when this was first spun in 79, that it wasn't a Northern Soul record, you'd be laughed out of the place.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That period in time was when Northern really started to kick in with the Younger mods/scooterists down south until most either became a casual or got married and disappeared. Scooter rallies started to get northern played and late 90s saw an influx of Northern rooms appearing too. Sadly the same friiggin tunes are still getting played at most rallies as they was in late 90s by useless fooking djs thinking they are the dogs danglies. If people think the northern scene is in a mess they wanna try doing a year of scooter rallies :ohmy:

The music policy at scooter rallies was worlds apart from the mod scene back then....Northern was pretty much limited to the likes of Beverly Ann 'He's coming home' on the scooter rallies and don't think they had a scoobie what R&B was mid 80s....

Social source share

What was the phrase you used earlier in the thread about sheep, barns and horses Pete....it's an R&B record that has been accepted by the Northern Scene....no more no less...

What utter rubbish, it's a Northern record that the "R&B scene" probably didn't even know about until it came out on CD in the 90's.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What utter rubbish, it's a Northern record that the "R&B scene" probably didn't even know about until it came out on CD in the 90's.

Sorry, I thought we were discussing the ACTUAL genre of the music, not which scene was to first to adopt it as their own....nice to know it can be filed alongside Chapter Five, The Carstairs, J D Bryant and the Theme From Joe 90 as a music genre....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry, I thought we were discussing the ACTUAL genre of the music, not which scene was to first to adopt it as their own....nice to know it can be filed alongside Chapter Five, The Carstairs, J D Bryant and the Theme From Joe 90 as a music genre....

We are, and it's a Northern Soul record, what are you on about Mace with your daft points-scoring comments, there was no R&B scene when this record was discovered and played, it was and is a Northern Soul record from an R&B performer as are Jimmy Robins, "Shoes" etc.

Social source share

Ring ring....ring ring...

Ray Agee - Hi Ray Agee here, who's calling.

"Hey Ray, it's your agent Simon, I need you down the studio straight away"

Ray Agee - Why Simon, what's the rush?

"I got this killer Northern Soul track for you to record"

Ray Agee - What the fcuk is Northern Soul?

"Not got a scoobie Ray, but it means your record will be worth thousands of dollars in years to come!

Ray Agee - Woah, so I'm gonna be a rich Northern Soul Artiste of fame and fortune.

"Actually you won't even remember recording it, and won't see a cent, but you owe me big time for convincing me to let you cut a disc by the title of 'The Wobble-Oo"

Ray Agee - Well maybe that could also be a rare and expensive Northern Soul record in years to come?

"Now you're just being a dick Ray, anyway, time is money so get your arse down here pronto'

Ray Agee - Bollox......

You could apply that analogy to every record that's ever been released, nobody ever set out to make a Northern Soul record in the 60's, but the records were made, do exist and ARE Northern Soul, latterly.  IT was cut as an R&B record by an R&B artist but it transcended that, as did thousands of others, "Baby Love" was cut as an R&B record by an R&B artist but I doubt anyone would be playing that on the "R&B Scene"?

Social source share

Just applying the Sheep-Barn-Horse analogy Pete.

I ain't point scoring, I don't care who played it first nor on what scene.......it's a fantastic uptempo R&B record....call it gritty soul if you like, but all said and done it is an R&B record that fits the criteria the Northern Scene demands. To dismiss this as 'Utter Rubbish' is just dummy spitting ....

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Right, look at it like this, if a black singer recorded a tune on vinyl in the 60's as a one-off,

who would decide weather or not it was R&B? When Ray Agee was first brought out then

what genre was it decided, it couldn't have been Northern cos' Northern didn't exist

Social source share

Right, look at it like this, if a black singer recorded a tune on vinyl in the 60's as a one-off,

who would decide weather or not it was R&B? When Ray Agee was first brought out then

what genre was it decided, it couldn't have been Northern cos' Northern didn't exist

Kinnell thats what I said!  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I ain't point scoring, I don't care who played it first nor on what scene.......it's a fantastic uptempo R&B record....call it gritty soul if you like, but all said and done it is an R&B record that fits the criteria the Northern Scene demands. To dismiss this as 'Utter Rubbish' is just dummy spitting ....

No it's not dummy spitting it's a face to face argument, dummy spitting is making a statement and then walking away  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Wasn't there an RnB chart in the States that RnB artists used to produce records for so they could hopefully become a top seller and be rich and famous just like the normal pop charts ?  So Ray Agee could of been aimed at the RnB market originally in the States.  Its defo RnB to these ears but is perfect for the northern Scene for the masses just like J.T Parker is.   

Is JT Parker RnB or northern  :wicked:

Social source share

Wasn't there an RnB chart in the States that RnB artists used to produce records for so they could hopefully become a top seller and be rich and famous just like the normal pop charts ?  So Ray Agee could of been aimed at the RnB market originally in the States.  Its defo RnB to these ears but is perfect for the northern Scene for the masses just like J.T Parker is.   

Yes mate but that R&B had a totally different meaning to the R&B which is a subset/spin off from northern soul which has only been used relatively recently

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Innn one.!! Ray Agee although doesn't mention Cleopatra,Monkey's etc is R'N'B influenced.NS just adopted the unwanted child,and gave it a home.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

This is like two people in a room arguing over fruit, one is trying to convince the other that apples are oranges :huh:

Ray Agee, The Invitations - Watch Out Little Girl & The Constellations - I Didn't Know How just aren't R&B in my book 

Wash you ears out youth.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

He's still out and about, saw him at Keele last year as well as a few record fairs in West Mids...usually rooting through Mick Smiths stock.....

Tony did a spot at last months Stables and still has a few nights in Bham as well. I did my first ever dj spot for him at the Outrigger sunday all dayer. I have a lot to thank him for great bloke and as enthusiastic as ever. and hardly looks any older

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

This is like two people in a room arguing over fruit, one is trying to convince the other that apples are oranges :huh:

I see it more as 2 people arguing whether the thing in the bowl is an orange or a fruit.

Whereas of course it is both. :D

Social source share

Ah, but I never said it couldn't be catagorised as both, I merely pointed out that it came from an orange tree so must be an orange....a fruit tree could yield a totally different product...the fact that it also belongs to the category of being a fruit is due to the way it grows, the fact remains it is by most accurate definition, an orange.

It might also appear greenish in colour, due to not being ripe, so despite not BEING orange, it is stil an orange.

Surely that rests my case in the matter......

;o)

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Innn one.!! Ray Agee although doesn't mention Cleopatra,Monkey's etc is R'N'B influenced.NS just adopted the unwanted child,and gave it a home.

He did however record a track called 'Monkey on my back'....the man was no fool, he covered all bases....

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Ah, but I never said it couldn't be catagorised as both, I merely pointed out that it came from an orange tree so must be an orange....a fruit tree could yield a totally different product...the fact that it also belongs to the category of being a fruit is due to the way it grows, the fact remains it is by most accurate definition, an orange.

It might also appear greenish in colour, due to not being ripe, so despite not BEING orange, it is stil an orange.

Surely that rests my case in the matter......

;o)

So in all seriousness what is a Tomato ?   :wicked:

Social source share

I like it Mace......so it can't possibly be R 'n' B :wink: 

:D 

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share