Ebay Customs Parcel Checks

Dean

How did Ebay know it was going to be checked when they sent it ?

That was my immediate thought, well kind of.

Where/who was the item bought from ?

If it was bought through an auction how did E-bay get their hands on it ?, even

if it was bought through an E-bay store why would it be anywhere near E-bay.

Is this some kind of scam where somebody is opening parcels to see if its worth nicking

them sticking that letter in to cover their tracks.

Also Wtf have Pitney bowes got to do with it ?

Smells a bit fishy to me.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

It's a package that went through the Ebay Global shipping programme - that's why it has an Ebay label in it

Not sure why they would need to open it though as all customs charges are already paid upfront

So E-bay have their own parcel delivery facilities, like UPS etc., that's a new one on me.

Social source share

That was my immediate thought, well kind of.

Where/who was the item bought from ?

If it was bought through an auction how did E-bay get their hands on it ?, even

if it was bought through an E-bay store why would it be anywhere near E-bay.

Is this some kind of scam where somebody is opening parcels to see if its worth nicking

them sticking that letter in to cover their tracks.

Smells a bit fishy to me.

ebay handle physical shipping and customs payments now

Social source share

ebay handle physical shipping and customs payments now

thats interesting, well royal mail charge £8, something like £4 profit for them, rest goes to the government of course, so its a good business for Ebay to get into, they have a min charge rate which the Royal mail have proven, the skies the limit... even if they pay onto a carrier £2 say, thats £2 to them (Ebay) for every package..

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Got charged £11:47 for customs on an Lp bought of ebay that arrived yesterday, to be fair the seller did have it detailed on his shipping payments (not responsible for customs charges)

Social source share

Be honest I dont buy from over seas sellers any more unless I really want it, Aussie stuff seems to come straight through no problem so I always pick stuff up via eBay and other.. It seems to be the USA packets that get all the attention.  Mix that with exchange rate charges, and any other associated it simply isn't worth dealing with allot of folks over seas..

which is a damn shame.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As if we needed it, one more reason this Global Postage thing is a nightmare for all.
If they were to make it mandatory I'd stop selling internationally on Ebay. Not that I'd need to, it's so expensive, no one would buy.

FWIW I haven't had anything stopped in customs when sent privately for a few years :thumbsup:  don't know about the EBay stuff.

Social source share

I think it was from a Nick Allen, Hard Way to Go, that I thought was a bargain but (my fault) missed the detail regarding post and customs. Customs charges were paid in advance. Purchased from North Carolina, International Priority shipping 16 dollars. Not having a go at seller just first time come across a note like this inside a package!

Social source share

I mentioned this issue in an older thread -

My concern at the time being that some heavy handed so and so could potentially could damage my record whilst trying to open the package and then reseal the it as if nothing had happened.  I don't see that eBay has any right to open my mail, that is a job for customs officials.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I mentioned this issue in an older thread -

My concern at the time being that some heavy handed so and so could potentially could damage my record whilst trying to open the package and then reseal the it as if nothing had happened.  I don't see that eBay has any right to open my mail, that is a job for customs officials.

A "damaged" post

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Pitney-Bowes-opened-my-parcel-and-ripped-rare-item-apart/td-p/164897

Social source share

Not sure if it's just coincidence, but the last 18 months my record import shipments have been heavily taxed by HM customs, the last time was back in the 90s when we had a recession in-between these dates the records just sail through with no customs etc, save one from Jamaica, for obvious reasons.

I put it down to the government being skint (despite their sound bites) as it is easy money to tax anything and everything coming in. When times were good and prosperous why bother with small fry packages, far to much hassle as the weight of imports on other high value stuff brings in more revenue.

Got to go someone kicking in the door :)

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!