The Soul President On Big Mack Records

Premium Stuff

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Thanks Dazz and Nick

This is a red Big Mack label with black print but just didn't look right.

It's got a load of Soul Fire blurb pressing details and names in the deadwax.

Must be the re-issue then. Was not sold as a re-issue though 

Anyone got any more information on either the Big Mack original or the Soul Fire re-issue please, including all the anorak matrix marks, label paper, font details etc?  :wink:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest trickbag

'Soul Fire Dist SF-012' etched in runout groove.

Other Versions (2 of 2) View All
  Title Label Cat# Country Year

Get It Right / Got To Have It
(7") Big Mack 24221 US 1968

Get It Right / Got To Have It
(7", RE) Soul Fire SF 012 US 2001

two songs by Soul President, a Bay Area act whose single "Got to Have It" b/w "Get It Right" was reissued by Big Mack in the Detroit area despite being a failure in its original domicile. Listening to the killer beat, psychedelic guitar, and enthusiastic vocals, it's hard to fault McCoy for taking the risk.

reissue  on ebay

Starting bid:
£3.99
ended
0 bids ]

• Price:
    • $155.49 USD
  • Start Date: April 21, 2013
  • End Date: April 28, 2013
  • Bids: 5
  • Seller Feedback: 924
  • Buyer Feedback: 327
161012403690.jpg THE SOUL PRESIDENT - GET IT RIGHT / GOT TO HAVE IT on BIG MACK CONDITION: EX (some marks that can't be heard and slight tear on label A side)  ORIGINAL COPY not the Soul Fire reissue. Killer raw funk by Rhon Silver AKA The Soul President. Hear it on an MP3 taken from the actual copy

ricky$T2eC16dHJGwFFYr14jIEBRZtBW(vsg~~60_35.J

Social source share

I've heard serious collectors mention that the Soul President release on Big Mack was maybe a bootleg to begin with. Since it's a Detroit re-issue of Rhon Silva "Get It Right" on Uptight: https://www.discogs.com/Rhon-Silva-Get-It-Right-Got-To-Have-It/release/4673624

It's a bit strange that a Californian record would get a later release on a Detroit label under a different name? With McCoy taking a production credit, when it's not him on the Uptight label?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks folks

I have been very reliably advised that all Big Mack copies are boots.

Does not make sense regarding the claim in a post above about an original and not being a Soul Fire original???  :hypo:

Mine is Soul Fire for sure - due to dead wax - obvious later looking label etc.

Does anyone have any definitive anorak info on a Big Mack original please? I'm guessing the answer is "no" but I'm open to new info  :)

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I was implying that the "original" 60s Big Mack records maybe weren't entirely legitimate (or maybe they were?) since it's a "re-issue" of Rhon Silva on Uptight. What doesn't make sense in my post?

Social source share

I was implying that the "original" 60s Big Mack records maybe weren't entirely legitimate (or maybe they were?) since it's a "re-issue" of Rhon Silva on Uptight. What doesn't make sense in my post?

It wasn't your post that I was picking up specifically on mate, but on the point in Ricky's post #7 which states "ORIGINAL COPY not the Soul Fire reissue. Killer raw funk by Rhon Silver AKA The Soul President. Hear it on an MP3 taken from the actual copy"

Cheers

Richard
Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

It wasn't your post that I was picking up specifically on mate, but on the point in Ricky's post #7 which states "ORIGINAL COPY not the Soul Fire reissue. Killer raw funk by Rhon Silver AKA The Soul President. Hear it on an MP3 taken from the actual copy"

Cheers

Richard

Scans on Popsike look very slightly different to the Soul Fire re-issue:

https://www.popsike.com/Soul-President-FUNK-45-Get-It-Right-Got-To-Have-It/170163350900.html

Social source share

Thanks folks

Does not make sense regarding the claim in a post above about an original and not being a Soul Fire original???  :hypo:

Mine is Soul Fire for sure - due to dead wax - obvious later looking label etc.

Does anyone have any definitive anorak info on a Big Mack original please? I'm guessing the answer is "no" but I'm open to new info  :)

Cheers

Richard

I have a non-Soulfire Big Mack late 60s/early 70's pressing

the deadwax has Delta Symbol 74505 / Delta 74505 - X 

AND 24221-A / 24221 - B

the pressing plant logo looks like an ALCO pressing - but there's another logo that looks scribbled out & yet another logo that looks like a KW

seems Big Mack had the metal plates? pointing towards some sort of authorized release

Social source share

I have a non-Soulfire Big Mack late 60s/early 70's pressing

the deadwax has Delta Symbol 74505 / Delta 74505 - X 

AND 24221-A / 24221 - B

the pressing plant logo looks like an ALCO pressing - but there's another logo that looks scribbled out & yet another logo that looks like a KW

seems Big Mack had the metal plates? pointing towards some sort of authorized release

Thanks very much for those details - very helpful  :thumbsup:

Any chance of a label scan please?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!