Modern Soul Rarity-Chuck Cockerham

Chuck Cockerham~Have I got the right b/w Hey there, disc is in VG/- condition with all the usual signs of a well used record including a couple of feelable scratches both sides, theres some static/surface noise on "Have I" side when played on my low end USB turntable, it may or may not play better on a better stylus/set up but no guarantees.

Disc has reasonable gloss, looks better in the pics as the light hits it. All pics and sound files supplied are straight from the sale disc so you can make your own judgement before bidding/making an offer.

I'm away from home until late PM Tuesday the 4th so may not be able to update bids/offers straight away but will do my best to reply to anyone who needs answers.

Bids/offers by PM only please & thanks for looking!

https://www.divshare.com/download/25232101-c78

https://www.divshare.com/download/25232114-960

25224668-838.JPG

25224671-45d.JPG

25224678-a6a.JPG

25224683-733.JPG

25224686-bfa.JPG

25224691-03b.JPG

25224702-df7.JPG

25224705-be2.JPG

Edited by Guest
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Sorry for delays in updating this post but highest bid now stands at £1100, thanks.

An old buddy, Manchester postman, used to trawl the city centre markets, buying USA 45s that 'looked' like soul records. He bought this 45 early 1970's....neither of us knew the record, but I used to borrow some of his collection, and it was a favourite of mine...but as it was not considered 'northern' stayed just that ...a personal favourite.

He wouldn't sell it.

Many years later, when I was doing a bit of local DJing, I bumped into him....he said I could have his records in bulk......a great deal. Chuck Cockerham, to my delight, was in with the others.

Swapped my copy to Dave Withers for a c-90 cassette tape of unissued Motown mid 80's   :g:  :huh: 

Social source share

Sounds fair.

it was to me......as a Motown fan, off the soul scene for years, and who had 'retired' in about 1973....too much Whitfield, too many reissues .....I was amazed to hear "Suspicion" (who I thought was Eddie Holland demo),"Tear from a woman's eye" etc and all the u/is that were doing the rounds....no chance at that time of legimate issue...seemed good value to me.

Still love the Chuck Cockerham though

Social source share

I found mine in a box of old records at a church fete in Brough last year, along with some very decent Cadet and Chess Stuff - Terry Callier etc, and some Latin - Pete Rodriguez etc. Haggled them down from £15 to a fiver for the whole box, because there was an awful lot of badly scratched and knackered stuff in there.

Turned out they'd all belonged to an old sound engineer who'd lived in the states in the 60s and 70s, moved back over here in the 90s, he'd died,  and they'd been moved around and shoved in the loft and had loads of other stuff dumped on top of them. His wife died, and everything had been left to the church.

I asked if there were any other records/tapes/audio related stuff, but was told if there had been it had been sold or put in the skip!

Social source share

Nice to see there are still some generous people about ,bartering down a seller is one thing ,but a charity organisation ..thinkiI'd have kept that one to myself lol

The Church a 'charity organization'? Not in the true sense of the word, still one of the richest organizations in the world!  - AND religion is responsible for more bloodshed around the world that anything else, why would I want to pay into that?

:thumbsup:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

I've often wondered whether Mr Withers knew the disc I was offering in a swap for that tape?

Was it known on the scene .....mid 80's.

Did Mr Wither's have a poker face on ha ha ....or was it the FIRST time he'd heard the tune.... 

I do remember he played it on his deck .....as though it was new to him

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The Church a 'charity organization'? Not in the true sense of the word, still one of the richest organizations in the world! - AND religion is responsible for more bloodshed around the world that anything else, why would I want to pay into that?

:thumbsup:

I wasn't thinking about the Catholic Church, apologies ;)
Social source share

I've often wondered whether Mr Withers knew the disc I was offering in a swap for that tape?

Was it known on the scene .....mid 80's.

Did Mr Wither's have a poker face on ha ha ....or was it the FIRST time he'd heard the tune.... 

I do remember he played it on his deck .....as though it was new to him

Actually I saw your posts earlier and I've emailed Dave to ask him.

Reason why is cos I found a copy in a shop in Asheville,N.C. around 89/90 and didn't know it. Sold it to Searling as suitable for Parker's [£8 !]. I was working with Dave then and he never said anything.

Only got that and some NS standard on that day but went back some 6 years later with Alex Jones to buy the guy's albums. Leaned against what I thought was a wall and went through into a little room full of boxed 60's promos.

Which was nice !

I'll let you know what Dave says.

ROD

Social source share

Actually I saw your posts earlier and I've emailed Dave to ask him.

Reason why is cos I found a copy in a shop in Asheville,N.C. around 89/90 and didn't know it. Sold it to Searling as suitable for Parker's [£8 !]. I was working with Dave then and he never said anything.

Only got that and some NS standard on that day but went back some 6 years later with Alex Jones to buy the guy's albums. Leaned against what I thought was a wall and went through into a little room full of boxed 60's promos.

Which was nice !

I'll let you know what Dave says.

ROD

thanks

the trade was done at his stall in Afleck's Palace, Manchester.

Searling played it a few times on CFOS, and upon playing and old tape recently, Richard actually played for me, after a chat at Parkers  one night. Presumably I told him this tale, who knows.

As I said on the earlier post, my  postman buddy bought some weird and wonderful 45s.....some great ...some awful...but this was a time when USA 45s were a novelty around the markets, and bought on sight, usually labels being the draw.

Another 45 I wanted was "My Place / I want to humble" on Mowest , by Devastating Affair (My Place) was a good dancer. Again, he wouldn't sell it....and I didn't get another chance to hear it (from 1972?) until it was released on TCMS box set last year.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!