Darrell Banks Icon Our Love (Is In The Pocket )

Tfk

...Darrell Banks (OLIITP) was the ultimate whilst getting into Northern Soul in the mid 70s - awesome stuff !!! I thought... It just blew me away and was massive hit in the youth clubs back then ..I guess at the time I should have been studying for ma exams but all I could think about was this music and visiting a guy selling records on Worksop market (Pete Ward ) he was raving on about and kept playing a version by JJ Barnes .. ... Now just listening again and with time  I thought  JJ may kinda  just  nudge it ??? 

See what you think ? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoZLrH3LPQ&autoplay=1

great video BTW.... 

TFK 

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Like both but definitely Darrell Banks - much more passionate. Heard Open The Door To Your Heart first in early 1970, it was one of the records that first hooked me in to this great scene. Has to be the best ever double sider, certainly to this oldie's ears.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Darrel Banks is the epitome of Northern Soul - for me it defines the whole thing....

....A 60's UK release (on the iconic Stateside label)

....A legendary promo only release on an earlier UK label (London)

....A non Motown Detroit release (on Revilot )

....A fantastic double sider with Open the Door (maybe the best double sider ever)

....A truly great Soul Man and Singer

One 45 ...anyone asks about Northern Soul - give them a copy

Very much agree Mike. have always thought that all round this is the number one Northern record. Funnily enough "Open the Door" came on in the motor coming back from Nottingham with the missus on Saturday and I said to her "that for me it was the one Northern record that all others are measured against." ---- I might as well have been speaking to myself but she is a lovely lass all the same  :)

"Take all my blind soul baby, why don't you give it sight"

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Very much agree Mike. have always thought that all round this is the number one Northern record. Funnily enough "Open the Door" came on in the motor coming back from Nottingham with the missus on Saturday and I said to her "that for me it was the one Northern record that all others are measured against." ---- I might as well have been speaking to myself but she is a lovely lass all the same  :)

:D

I'll tell her!

Social source share

I can't find a decent sound clip of Open The Door by Major Lance to put up here.

Major Lance  version of Open the door to your heart is great and Freddie Scott ain't to bad either .

tfk

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Darrel Banks is the epitome of Northern Soul - for me it defines the whole thing....

....A 60's UK release (on the iconic Stateside label)

....A legendary promo only release on an earlier UK label (London)

....A non Motown Detroit release (on Revilot )

....A fantastic double sider with Open the Door (maybe the best double sider ever)

....A truly great Soul Man and Singer

One 45 ...anyone asks about Northern Soul - give them a copy

...and the astonishing thing is you can still pick up the 1st issue US original for £15-ish. It's got to be the ultimate cheapie. Imagine if only a few copies had been pressed - it would be the holy grail.

Social source share

Didn't know Freddie's version pretty good if not the best!!!!!!!

Freddie Scott's -1967 version is a great delivery of  "Open the door to your heart " (old tape swappers sound from the 80s)

Funky 16 Corners  take  on " Our love is in the pocket " 

When I began to understand the whole Northern Soul “thing”, I realized why this record (and to an even greater extent the 1969 cover by JJ Barnes — which used the same backing track) was so revered. If there was ever a record that could serve as a blueprint for a particular sound, ‘Our Love Is In the Pocket’ is it. From the propulsive 4/4 beat, to the ringing vibes, honking baritone sax and bright, sweet hooks, it’s as if it was ordered in the “one item from column A, one from column B” method from the Northern Soul “menu”.

Banks hailed from Buffalo, NY, where he performed locally. He was eventually signed by Solid Hitbound productions (hence the GEO-SI-MIK connection) in Detroit, who borrowed the name of the Buffalo lounge where Banks performed (the Revilot) for a new label, on which Banks debut 45 would be the initial release. Released in 1966, ‘Open Up The Door To Your Heart’ would become a Top 40 success, dragging its B-side ‘Our Love Is In the Pocket’ along for the ride.

Over the next four years, Banks would record 45s for Atco, Cotillion and Volt (as well as LPs for Atco and Volt), before he was tragically shot dead in a confrontation with an off-duty police officer in March of 1970.

As I mentioned before, ‘Our Love Is In the Pocket’ was covered by J.J. Barnes in 1969, with a Parliaments cover ‘All Your Goodies Are Gone’ on the flipside. Barnes version is held by many in the Northern Soul world to be the superior/definitive version. On this point I must respectfully disagree. The only difference between the two records (which as I said employ the same backing track) are the vocals, and while I understand the preference among some for the somewhat silkier quality of Barnes voice, I vote for Banks.

post-3067-0-14224800-1393883754_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Prefer the Darrell Banks' version but find the lyrics easier to determine on JJ Barnes single...but lacks the power of DB.

Arguably, the greatest double side 45 ever.

However, wasn't it controversially played '25' times non stop and the punters told to F... off!  :huh:

Social source share

J.J. Barnes in 1969, with a Parliaments cover ‘All Your Goodies Are Gone’ on the flipside

Was the b side Parliaments? or JJ Barnes version...if so , I've never heard it

222 - J.J. Barnes - Our Love Is In The Pocket / All Your Goodies Are Gone (Inst.) - 1968   found details.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Don't get me wrong, I love J.J. Barnes to bits, but I'd have preferred it if he'd re-recorded the entire song rather than singing over a three year old backing track. Knowing that spoils it a bit for  me

Not much different from the 'Lorraine Chandler' version of Love You Baby, other than that was crap.... and not Lorraine Chandler. Actually that's not fair, JJB will always be a great record, just not quite a classic. See also the Inspirations re-issue with new vocals.

Is it the rarity value that gets us more excited about the JJB version than we should be?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

J.J. Barnes in 1969, with a Parliaments cover ‘All Your Goodies Are Gone’ on the flipside

Was the b side Parliaments? or JJ Barnes version...if so , I've never heard it

The flip of J.J. Barnes is an instrumental version of the Parliaments.

https://youtu.be/0TuC5MaRjqk

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Thanks Tony, still trying to get head round my iPad!  Hi Pete, I. See;  I'm the one that loves you /Darrell Banks :easy on my Ears and just a great great Soul tune.

Open the Door to your Heart/Our love (is in the Pocket) is get off your arse and make your way to dance floor.

Northern Soul at its BEST:: Rod :yes:

Edited by Rodders22
Social source share

Don't get me wrong, I love J.J. Barnes to bits, but I'd have preferred it if he'd re-recorded the entire song rather than singing over a three year old backing track. Knowing that spoils it a bit for  me

Not much different from the 'Lorraine Chandler' version of Love You Baby, other than that was crap.... and not Lorraine Chandler. Actually that's not fair, JJB will always be a great record, just not quite a classic. See also the Inspirations re-issue with new vocals.

Is it the rarity value that gets us more excited about the JJB version than we should be?

Don't agree: the female version of Love You Baby is very good, whoever it is, and it'll be a professional black singer from LA no doubt so not some white cover artist.

The remake of No One Else Can Take Your Place is better than the original as well...in my opinion.

Social source share

Don't agree: the female version of Love You Baby is very good, whoever it is, and it'll be a professional black singer from LA no doubt so not some white cover artist.

The remake of No One Else Can Take Your Place is better than the original as well...in my opinion.

Fair point Pete, I think after the Sharonettes, Paula Roussell etc I have a little bit of a downer on Black Magic - probably colours my judgement, all though I'm still not bothered about it - is this going off topic?!!

Social source share

Fair point Pete, I think after the Sharonettes, Paula Roussell etc I have a little bit of a downer on Black Magic - probably colours my judgement, all though I'm still not bothered about it - is this going off topic?!!

No I did know what you mean about The Sharonettes, but the vocalist on Love You Baby might be someone like Sherlie Matthews?

Social source share

Here is an excellent  live version from 1996 Willie Clayton Open the door to your heart but it's Darrell for me can remember finding my stateside copy in the 60's thought all my christmas's had come at once must be THE Best sixties double sider ever.

One of my very favourite records of all time is Forgive Me  off Here to stay and it also got a release by J.J.Barnes 

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Open The Door To Your Heart by Darrell Banks, if you close your eyes and just listen to the thing, it's one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking, emotional things you'll ever hear, this sort of music changes lives - and you can bet at the end of the session they just said "ok lads that's it, same time next week" and only thought about the next record they were going to make.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A  fab discussion on 2 slightly different versions of Our Love (Is in the pocket ) a tremendous piece of Detroit Uptempo 1960s Soul music - Darrell Banks original version and J J Barnes take (giving it a slightly different feel) what would we say then from a record collectors point of  view ? London American Demo for DB and a Revilot Demo on JJ ?  Was there  a milti coloured demo or  are they white label  demos ? 

Defo agree that Darrell's "Open the door to your heart"  is one of life's finest moments ....sheer brilliance 

tfk

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!