Tent Music

In early 2000 at the Cala Gran Togetherness Weekender, they had a small marque at back of the amusements, you could call it a chill out room! You would be right is was cool alright, but the music was some of the best soul music I've ever heard. Did Richard Searling and Co ever put out any LPs or CDs that reflect the tunes at the time. Rod

Edited by Rodders22
Social source share

In early 2000 at the Cala Gran Togetherness Weekender, they had a small marque at back of the amusements, you could call it a chill out room! You would be right is was cool alright, but the music was some of the best soul music I've ever heard. Did Richard Serling and Co ever put out any LPs or CDs that reflect the tunes at the time. Rod

Rod .I think there was a couple of togetherness discs.  Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember a guesting dj at the Orwell with a t shirt that had the universal logo of a tent and underneath the legend 'MUSIC'.

...twas a real trendy catchphrase for a while...

Jim. I loved the Orwell. Didn't get there enough because Lou isn't in to the 70, and crossover side of things. Steve

Social source share

The Tent was great. Used to hear stuff like Gene Townsel, Chuck Cockerham, Bessie Banks, Gene Chandler, Bobby Rich, etc there. There was no Tent CD but many of them have appeared in other comps like the Goldmine Modern Soul series. The Togetherness CDs tend to focus on the modern room and new stuff.

Social source share

I DJed in the Tent at Cala Grand several times. It was essentially an attempt to capture what had been happening at Soul Essence ever since 92 and The Orwell from whenever the Orwell got going. It wasn't "groundbreaking" just an attempt to capture something that had already worked elsewhere. I am not being "grumpy" but let's be honest about it's origins.....  

PS: Was so cold one year I remmeber Richard going out and hiring a kind of jet engine fan heater!!! We were all stood around in coats and scarves, too cold to dance....

People could dance to this " tent music " :ohmy: .. Is there a clip on youtube or any place, i need to go see it...

Social source share

Guest Cluggy

Remember Richard sat behind one of those jet heaters trying to get the place warmed up.

Absolutely freezing but the music ,brilliant.im sure it was mi old mate Stevie Conner who coined the phrase  "tent music".

Happy days mark n PamPam

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!