• Replies 22
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Gimme two boss lines baby it's r & b time

I think he borrowed the line from Ray Bryant's "The Madison"-

"Give me a big strong line- it's Madison  Time...."

If not taken directly from it then referring to the same thing at least ie dance instructions. Boss lines are the same as strong lines. You learn to do something then do it with confidence - I reckon this is two lines of people primed and ready to go. Or actually doing the steps in a line more likely.

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last that any of us joyfully bellow the wrong words to a song :lol:

Very true :D

And you never know, the musicians in the studio could have given him a puzzled look and thought, "What the hells he on about" , :lol:

Social source share

Especially when he says "oh, Uncle Willie was never like this...."

Uncle Willie was a dance in Chicago which was probably a bit out of date when R&B time was recorded.

The Chess TV documentary on TV last Saturday had a good clip of dancers in the US dancing in lines, girls in one line and the guys facing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH7LRnyCLoc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Uncle Willie was a dance in Chicago which was probably a bit out of date when R&B time was recorded.

The Chess TV documentary on TV last Saturday had a good clip of dancers in the US dancing in lines, girls in one line and the guys facing them.

Thanks Rick, I did know that actually but was making a small joke. Besides, I was probably getting mixed up with the time when Brian Poole and the Tremeloes got their Uncle Willies out on Blue Peter. BBC in the 60s eh? Tish.

I nonetheless look forward to you doing a personal demonstration with regard to how I can learn to shimmy like your sister Kate :lol:

Social source share

I think he borrowed the line from Ray Bryant's "The Madison"-

"Give me a big strong line- it's Madison  Time...."

yes its a Madison.......with slightly altered lyrics (e.g" two boss lines" ).......ive got the sheet music to Ray Bryants 1960 orig....which uses "freeze"....."hit it"..."your lookin good"...etc.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!