Searling Cover -Up - Jean Washington

On an old tape of CFOS, Richard was playing a track , which I think was covered as "Jean Washington - My cup runneth over".

Any clues on this guys?

thanks

Snakepit

Social source share

Thanks Chalky...

Richard played as Jean Washington....it was Dean, filling in for a show, who indicated it was a cover up

thanks

snakepit

Social source share

An extract from my bio on Rita ..............  

......... RITA GRAHAM (of Rita & the Tiaras) .............

... Rita had landed vocal duties fronting the group Chuck Rowan and his Cliques (who at the time had James Gadson as their drummer) and they received an invitation to tour Australia for 6 months. After a few shows on the tour, Rita got to perform on the ‘Tonight with Don Lane’ TV Show. Her appearance was such a success that she was split from the group by the booking agency and sent on solo gigs. Backstage at a show in Sydney, she met up with Ray Charles. Ray spent time chatting with her and got her to duet with him in his dressing room. He was so impressed with her musical knowledge and singing ability, that after she returned to LA, he got back in touch. After signing her to his Tangerine Record label (TRC), Ray took her into his RPM International studio and they began recording tracks for a proposed album. With Ray always touring, it was some time before enough tracks were laid down to complete her ‘Vibrations’ LP. However they were finally completed and the package of (largely) old standards sung in various musical styles was released in 1968. Unfortunately, Rita didn’t get the chance to promote the album as Ray’s current set of Raelettes (Clydie King, Merry Clayton, Alex Brown & Gwendolyn Berry) suddenly quit on him. A big show was looming and so Ray instantly needed to put together a replacement line-up. He teamed Rita with Susaye Greene and Beverly LeShure to form the new group and they were on stage with Ray in LA that night. Rita remained as a Raelette for 6 months and even toured in that capacity but she was troubled that her album was being neglected and was receiving little or no promotion. The situation resulted in her having an argument with Ray and frustrated, she quit the group. The circumstances resulted in her never getting to perform any of her LP tracks live, even her great version of “My Cup Runneth Over”.

post-22122-0-17518400-1394016146_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Talk about timing.

This is a cover of the amazing sweet smooth late 60s record on Dial by Cherry Stone, called "My Cup Runneth Over".

It's fairly rare and it's not on YouTube at all, but you can hear it on Levine's latest February podcast.

From Soulful Geoff, your local mine of information.

Social source share

LP only it's a very jazzy type of lp apart from that track (if i remember correctly)

A fab album - but the standout cut was Rita's take of " My cup Runneth over "  was a old tape swappers  fave rave which made it beyond the collectors cassettes and into DJ boxes - the album was quite hard to locate back then ... 

Fab recording for sure ... 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is a cover of the amazing sweet smooth late 60s record on Dial by Cherry Stone, called "My Cup Runneth Over".

Cherry Stone's 45 version escaped around August 1966 whereas Rita started work on her TRC album around late 1967 and completed it in mid to late 68.

I wonder how Ray Charles got to know about this obscure song which I believe was just the B side to "He Walks Softly" ...........

Ray Charles toured Europe in 1966 and was always out on the road when back in the US. His Australian tour actually commenced in mid August 1967. He did a TV show in Sydney on 18th August (see here .... https://raycharlesvideomuseum.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/genius-of-ray-charles-live-in-australia.html) and it must have been at that time that he met up with Rita. Rita was already a friend of Billy Preston (from club dates back in LA) and Billy was on that Ray Charles tour, so it was probably via Billy that she got access to Ray.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Baby Washington: 

Rita Graham : 

Might I add, these are not the same song, just the same titles, Have a listen and you can tell easily.

Baby Washington's was written by A Felder, J Freeman & T Conway

Rita Graham's was written by H Wallis & C Stone

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

Guest Budgie

'Twas Dean play in 90's. Think it was Plumby told me what it was at a very early lay inn. Possibly first time I met him. Dont know if been mentioned but also known as Rita of Rita and the Tierra's

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!