Comedy Sale Of The Day

Pete S

Simplely a lack of knowledge and as has  been said,it will be getting a spin at the latest soul nite run by smashy and nicey playin real vinyl in a town near you soon .

Don't think it's necessarily lack of knowledge Andy. The boot looks like the original especially when spinning round in a dark room.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Salvadors & Lillie Bryant I started at 0.99 and pointed out they were not original records, so I can't see lack of knowledge or ignorance having anything to do with the finishing price.

Steve J

I don't think anyone was having a dig at you Steve, but at the punters prepared to pay such inflated prices for bootlegs. 

I'm pretty sure most of us wish we'd hung onto those boots that are now fetching such prices to make a killing too.

Edited by illusive
Social source share

I don't think anyone was having a dig at you Steve, but at the punters prepared to pay such inflated prices for bootlegs. 

I'm pretty sure most of us wish we'd hung onto those boots that are now fetching such prices to make a killing too.

Yes, agree. I think the tone of the posters is to express astonishment at what these new (?) collectors are prepared to pay for the boots we paid £1.10 for BITD. I dont think anyone is having a go at you Steve...........now where's my boot copy of Tear Stained Face?

Edited by Waggy
Social source share

Exactly!..........I did my set a few weeks ago, I won`t mention where but the bloke on after me (who was the promoter) was just getting his box ready and Looked at what I had queued up next. Bobby Valentine - Use it and said, "Oh i`ve got one of those." And later, played his box of pressings.  :g:

I suspect that these high prices are due to "Bobby Weekend" DJs who can afford £100 but not £1500 for a record. Surely most people attending these venues will know that the DJs don't own these rarities ?

Social source share

I suspect that these high prices are due to "Bobby Weekend" DJs who can afford £100 but not £1500 for a record. Surely most people attending these venues will know that the DJs don't own these rarities ?

Yes, and 90% of them don`t care Chris. I stopped DJing at nighters a few years ago as I find I need my bed around 3  :) but even at nighters probably 70% of people wouldn`t care less what label it`s on. 

Social source share

Salvadors & Lillie Bryant I started at 0.99 and pointed out they were not original records, so I can't see lack of knowledge or ignorance having anything to do with the finishing price.

Steve J

No reflection on the seller at all mate, I have all three of those releases in a box in my shed, all bought over the last 5 years and for nowhere near the prices that you and others have got, (£15.00 for the Salvadors was the highest) my dilema is what to do with this large collection of 'pressings' I've collected if they were put on ebay would they get the same price as yours did or might I only get back the £15 I paid for them any tips on selling? tea time on a Saturday seems like a good time to end

Is  there a rare boot/ pressing scene evolving?

Social source share

No reflection on the seller at all mate, I have all three of those releases in a box in my shed, all bought over the last 5 years and for nowhere near the prices that you and others have got, (£15.00 for the Salvadors was the highest) my dilema is what to do with this large collection of 'pressings' I've collected if they were put on ebay would they get the same price as yours did or might I only get back the £15 I paid for them any tips on selling? tea time on a Saturday seems like a good time to end

If you put a salvadors on now, its guaranteed to make around the £100 mark I'd say (i'm talking about the 70s pressing)

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Pete I listed five 70's lookalike boots & within half an hour I had an offer to buy all five for £250 I rejected & over the next few hours I had received a bid for all five at £380!  I still refused & let the auction run.

I only sold this lot to make up the shortfall in buying the Limelights, one I've always wanted but even never dreamed I would own!   

Steve J

Social source share

Pete I listed five 70's lookalike boots & within half an hour I had an offer to buy all five for £250 I rejected & over the next few hours I had received a bid for all five at £380!  I still refused & let the auction run.

I only sold this lot to make up the shortfall in buying the Limelights, one I've always wanted but even never dreamed I would own!   

Steve J

Jesus Steve, what were they???

Social source share

Steve J

Limelights - brilliant but still quite unknown (by the masses) - I cleared the floor with it at Ramsbottom CC a couple of years ago :(

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Pete what I cant understand is why pay this kind of money for a 70's lookalike when one could buy a Vito & The Salutations I'd best be going & end up with a great ov record that will probably go up in value for less than half the price on your site? 

Mind boggles at times. 

Steve J

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Limelights - brilliant but still quite unknown (by the masses) - I cleared the floor with it at Ramsbottom CC a couple of years ago :(

Brilliant it is, & if that's the case I look forward to surveying lots open dance floor in my sets!! :D & before anyone says it I know I'm good at it!!! :)

Steve J

Social source share

Notice it hasn't got the silver "T" design on the label...it is the 90's bootleg, not 70's, it wasn't played in the 70's

Sorry Pete, Howard Guyton was played in the 70's.

Levine was playing this before Wigan opened.

Also a big play around the Burnley area late 70's.

Social source share

Marie Knight, Lillie Bryant, Salvadors, Eula Cooper, Candy Staton,

Pete Im as gobsmacked as anyone I can tell you.

Steve

Right well I've got all of those except Candi Staton, do you think if I list them someone might take the bait - I love my records but blimey, I rate those at £10, £30, £30, £15 and £30

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry Pete, Howard Guyton was played in the 70's.

Levine was playing this before Wigan opened.

Also a big play around the Burnley area late 70's.

Didn't know that Dave, can only go by what I remember and Wigan tapes - the first play I have of it at Wigan is via Keith Minshull 1979 or 1980.  I honestly don't think I ever heard it until the 80's.  Sheltered life :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Didn't know that Dave, can only go by what I remember and Wigan tapes - the first play I have of it at Wigan is via Keith Minshull 1979 or 1980.  I honestly don't think I ever heard it until the 80's.  Sheltered life :-)

Yeah, it took off in the 80's.

Than again loads of other stuff that didn't go big 1st time around did.

Social source share

People aren't buying these boots because of what's in the groove. Hence it's mostly the lookalikey ones that fetch the money.  It's as if a counterfeit meant to deceive has more credibility than a carver for a quarter of the money.  :lol:

Also... if no one cares what labels these DJs play their 45s on then why do the actual 'DJs' spend a £100 on a bootleg that could be got for next to nothing if it's all about "It's What's In The Groove That Counts". 

I think we all know the answer to that though eh?

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I would say if you don't need the money for OV keep them :wink:

Social source share

Saturday early evening or Sunday from around 4PM!  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Right well I've got all of those except Candi Staton, do you think if I list them someone might take the bait - I love my records but blimey, I rate those at £10, £30, £30, £15 and £30

List them and see , the more people spend on bootlegs the less they will have to outbid me on something i want.

The guides are there , the forums are there and it only takes a moment to google.

There were no guides or forums when i started collecting  , if someone wants to spend the money on a bootleg rather than a guide then let them

Social source share

Guest soultanforreal

Eloise laws never done on a white demo save for boot in mid 70s I think

One on ebay currently at 63 quid yet orig issues often struggle to make 100

There used to be a blue music merchant demo about in 70s too

Was this real anyone

Love factory of course

Social source share

Eloise laws never done on a white demo save for boot in mid 70s I think

One on ebay currently at 63 quid yet orig issues often struggle to make 100

There used to be a blue music merchant demo about in 70s too

Was this real anyone

Love factory of course

You've got to be careful originals are on styrene and vinyl all had the Buddah logo at 6 0'clock no white demo exists.

Social source share

apologies of this one has been up already.. £300 Buy it now for Eddie Holman - I Surrender, he does have 'Make me an Offer' on there too... whats frightening is there are 4 people watching this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHERN-SOUL-Eddie-Holman-I-Surrender-ABC-MINT-/301531827787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4634b28e4b

5 watchers now Malcolm, and I'm one of them.  Almost as intriguing as watching CSI, just to find out whose daft enough to pay these prices. :wicked: 

Edited by illusive
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

apologies of this one has been up already.. £300 Buy it now for Eddie Holman - I Surrender, he does have 'Make me an Offer' on there too... whats frightening is there are 4 people watching this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHERN-SOUL-Eddie-Holman-I-Surrender-ABC-MINT-/301531827787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4634b28e4b

Just asked him if he has put the decimal point in the wrong place.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

5 watchers now Malcolm, and I'm one of them.  Almost as intriguing as watching CSI, just to find out whose daft enough to pay these prices. :wicked: 

I love it, lets all click and register were watching, inflate his selling ego.... 

what next, 'The Esquires - And Get Away' for a £1000!!! YES!!!!!!

M:_)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete - Get them on Ebay  - these are recent ( within past year ) prices I' ve acheived on auction there  ...

Marie Knight   £32 , Salvadors  £77, Candi Staton £ 60  -  Surprisingly most of the desirable 70 's pressings end up being purchased by USA or European collectors in my case  ......

Social source share

Pete - Get them on Ebay  - these are recent ( within past year ) prices I' ve acheived on auction there  ...

Marie Knight   £32 , Salvadors  £77, Candi Staton £ 60  -  Surprisingly most of the desirable 70 's pressings end up being purchased by USA or European collectors in my case  ......

Glyn,Pete

Thanks to you two talking prices just dug my boots box out,surprised how many I still had?Had a wonder down memory lane with them & could remember when & where I bought a lot of them....can't remember my kids birthdays though :D

Is there a way I can track down prices on e-bay besides Popsike,see if it's worth putting the odd one up?

Can't believe the prices they are going for?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Glyn,Pete

Thanks to you two talking prices just dug my boots box out,surprised how many I still had?Had a wonder down memory lane with them & could remember when & where I bought a lot of them....can't remember my kids birthdays though :D

Is there a way I can track down prices on e-bay besides Popsike,see if it's worth putting the odd one up?

Can't believe the prices they are going for?

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn  go to ebay  sign in  -   type the item in  eg  SALVADORS -   scroll down left hand side tick sold or completed listings  - all items in that category are highlighted ....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!