Comedy Sale Of The Day

Pete S

4 hours ago, Alan Walls said:

I've been selling a bit lately, just through SS and the Northern pages on Facebook. I've never sold anything on ebay before and from what I've heard it always seemed to sound like a hassle not worth bothering about, but I've just read through the last 2 pages and by jingo - it does seem to attract a lot of knobheads with lots of money to spend! Are there any types of sound that are more likely to sell, any discernible pattern, or is it just totally unpredictable? A coupe of months back I had read of Bobby Garrett - My Little Girl getting attention again so I fired it up on my next batch of sales, lovely near-mint copy. I also found a knackered boot that I stuck on as an after thought, for £15. I had 11 enquiries for the boot, no interest in the original. I asked one guy WTF was going on, why so much interest; he told me at that moment 7 people were bidding on a boot on ebay, and it was up to £156 with 3 days to go!!! I need some of that action...

I almost exclusively sell on Ebay, don't ask me why but I get much higher prices than selling via other mediums. All the "biggies" seem to get above market prices just be careful about record grading be conservative. My advice would be sell only the well known biggies and the very rare stuff, be aware there are of course no guarantees so you could end up with a low-ish end price. Good luck.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Chris L said:

I almost exclusively sell on Ebay, don't ask me why but I get much higher prices than selling via other mediums. All the "biggies" seem to get above market prices just be careful about record grading be conservative. My advice would be sell only the well known biggies and the very rare stuff, be aware there are of course no guarantees so you could end up with a low-ish end price. Good luck.

Many thanks Chris, just the kind of info I was looking for. I'll bear it in mind. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

7 minutes ago, tobytyke said:

What about" Baby Cakes " Loretta Williams UK Atlantic fetching over £300 at auction . wasn't long ago it was a £30 record. Surely not that rare?

Is it getting plays?

You beat me to it mate, I really couldn't believe that one !!!!!!!!!!!.

Social source share

32 minutes ago, tobytyke said:

What about" Baby Cakes " Loretta Williams UK Atlantic fetching over £300 at auction . wasn't long ago it was a £30 record. Surely not that rare?

Is it getting plays?

Can't comment on its rarity but expensive it is not, you have been able to buy them on UK Atlantic for about £40 - 60, some even quite recently. Our scene is being overtaken by aliens I'm sure.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Volcanoes - Laws of Love reissue/boot for £84. 

Early bidding was between 2 who had low(ish) feedback so I assume they thought it was an original. The winner, with a "snipe"has feedback of over 1,200 !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351895037774?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was considering trading/selling a bunch of about 30+ of these things I bought in the 70's. The guy offered £300 which wasn't an insult by any means but I decided to keep them for sentimental reasons AND it looked like a big bundle of records for the price of a decent original!

With things like this Volcanos and the Robert Thomas mentioned above, it might be worth having a think about getting rid of them.

(p.s. - I'm certainly NOT having a "pop" at the guy who offered £300)

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Yes Russoul1, you're missing the Spaceship to get to the other planet that these people come from that pay over £300 for a record that can be easily acquired for £4.
Mentalists!!!

lol, wondered why there are flashing lights in the back garden :ohmy: total bonkers.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Well just in case it does go rare or sell for silly prices like that again, I have just bought 2 minters for £30 LOL, Can't be too careful :-)

well done that man.....seen its just finished guess what no bids lol...as the descripton says..

Record has been in storage for over half a century!

will be still there for a while longer me thinks:sleep3:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

LOL, yeah our future Soul family will still be looking at that for sale in 50 years LOL. There really are some muppets about.
Saw someone selling a copy of 'Billy Sha Rae - Do it' on Spectrum the other day for £250?? WHAT?? was tempted to write to the seller asking if it was a solid gold disc, or if he actually came from the planet Zog. Oh and it didn't have 'I'm gone' on the flip either before you ask.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, russoul1 said:

He's strap line is:     “Record has been in storage for over half a century!

And it will be there at least twice as long again at that price.:lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kegsy said:

"Part of a big northern soul collection we found when we moved into our new house"    yeah right, do me a favour !.

Yeah! That old chestnut. Y'know? there are some REALLY gullible people about. I feel sorry in a way that the winner is gonna pay over £400 for a £30-40 boot, but on the other hand, it's only a quick search on Google to tell you what is and what isn't.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Written to the seller asking wouldn't it be fair to to mention in the description that it's a boot worth no more than £40 :-) See what the reply is :-)

At best you'll just get the standard reply that she's used before ... "I know nothing about these records , I just found them in the loft".

Social source share

21 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

At best you'll just get the standard reply that she's used before ... "I know nothing about these records , I just found them in the loft".

Yep, and to be brutally honest, not her fault either, because although she hasn't put it's a boot, she also hasn't put it's an original either, so it's the usual case of buyer beware and do some research before bidding stupid money

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

This seller has now added 'No Returns', and says that they found them in the loft and they had been there for over 30 years, how would they know that if they had just moved into the property, and just found them?? STINKS!!!!! Also they have managed to grade the records, although they claim "I am no record expert" STINKS EVEN MORE!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!