Comedy Sale Of The Day

Pete S

This is a post from another thread i wonder if we know him ?

• 3580 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

snapback.pngallnightandy, on 08 January 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Did you used to meet up with us in Rowntrees sound in Manchester ?

Indeed I did mate. That was where I saw Martin Ellis do the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen.

Also in the gang were Carts and Scottish Kenny. Earlier one there were Pemmy (Tony Pemberton) a guy with a polish name (John Wojowski or something like that?) My memory of those times is really fading nowadays though.

HAVE A LOOK AT HIS USER NAME ON EBAY THINK HE IS JOHN WOJOWSKI- ITS VERY SIMILAR

That original quote about John (uncredited by Andy) is mine. John was older than me as I was just a nipper but we used to go Wigan in the same crowd, and to other local nights. I may be doing him a disservice by spelling his name not quite right but I'm sure Wojowski is pretty close. He had very red hair and at a guess, he'd be about 60 now.

The ebay seller is johnmickolajckyz, and apart from the 'John' bit, surely it's only similar in the way that Smith and Jones both look like British names.

I remember that that John's record collection was the stuff of local myth. He was supposed to have 45s from his pre-Wigan days that were the stuff of legend and largely unknown to most collectors. Although I saw his box round at his house in Oldham once (I recall it was big wooden thing he kept under the bed) he would never, ever let me or my pals look through it. Maybe he just thought we were young scallies and not to be trusted; maybe he thought that having grown up with the likes of My Heart's Symphony and the Soussan instrumentals, his good stuff would have been wasted on us.

Guess I'll never know. He was a good guy though, so I hope he's ok.

edit - actually I think I just found him!

post-1918-0-77624800-1333885655_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Well it finally looks like the Internet hogger "Daniel The Nutty Belgian" is going to sod off No More "Rarest record in the world at only 25 million pounds Acetate by Moses of which he had about six copies , no more Buy the whole shop for £500 million

No more Original oil painting that look like spitting image puppets

All adverts now marked with closing down sale LoL

but his marketing tack tic of advertising the same bloody record at vastly different prices continues !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45T-RECORD-WAREHOUSE-NORTHERN-SOUL-POPCORN-Original-SKA-PROMO-WHITE-label-/150790980007?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7574107132865289924

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45T-RECORD-WAREHOUSE-NORTHERN-SOUL-POPCORN-Original-SKA-PROMO-WHITE-label-/150781395472?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7574115501071540676

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

That original quote about John (uncredited by Andy) is mine. John was older than me as I was just a nipper but we used to go Wigan in the same crowd, and to other local nights. I may be doing him a disservice by spelling his name not quite right but I'm sure Wojowski is pretty close. He had very red hair and at a guess, he'd be about 60 now.

The ebay seller is johnmickolajckyz, and apart from the 'John' bit, surely it's only similar in the way that Smith and Jones both look like British names.

I remember that that John's record collection was the stuff of local myth. He was supposed to have 45s from his pre-Wigan days that were the stuff of legend and largely unknown to most collectors. Although I saw his box round at his house in Oldham once (I recall it was big wooden thing he kept under the bed) he would never, ever let me or my pals look through it. Maybe he just thought we were young scallies and not to be trusted; maybe he thought that having grown up with the likes of My Heart's Symphony and the Soussan instrumentals, his good stuff would have been wasted on us.

Guess I'll never know. He was a good guy though, so I hope he's ok.

edit - actually I think I just found him!

post-1918-0-77624800-1333885655_thumb.jp

No attempt to steal your thunder ! i just copied what we were talking about ! I didn't know the guy ! Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

No attempt to steal your thunder ! i just copied what we were talking about ! I didn't know the guy !

Hi Andy - no thunder to steal. I just thought it was a bit confusing and didn't want my post about JW to look as though it was linked with the suggestion that he was a bit of a chancer. Cheers.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

this is just about the most sought after of all the grapevine releases and was changing hands for approx £30 going back 4 or 5 years

kev

i know but it just seems a lot for a british repress
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

it might not even be northern soul- could even be a bay city rollers concert, come on girls in the pic if your out there prove me wrong

Check out the handbag in the foreground !
Social source share

Clucking Bell!! :facepalm:

:g: I should CO CO, The MAROON LABEL JOKER in the picture above is much rarer than the black label, if you want a Boot I say it the 2nd press, not seen many at all? but why has he got a picture of it in the 1st place? I tells you. :rofl: DAVE
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Doe's this count as a Comedy Sale Of The Day

https://www.ebay.co.u...N-/110621819984

:hatsoff2: HI Yep it is a joke! looking down our mans list, the last record ABC ROCK STEADY on the High Note label, in fact it's the labels very first release, The record is a load of S**t and he has priced it at £150. another JOKE? well maybe not maybe not, I really do not no the current value, I am tempted to say £35, However you never can tell,

I actually got this the week it was released, it was one of my very first couple of REGGAE 45s back then this music, a new music from JA had not even got a name, as it was the dace name that stuck, the dance was from the Hips and properly executed made a 17 year old DAVE Grow? the dance later was call Welding a descriptive name for it, it was always dance to an uptempo bass but sweet rhythm, this sweetness come out of the late 66 RUM RYTHEM which was more meaty and had more pace to it than all the smooth vocal harmonizing of Rock Steady and you should never really play them side by side as it's Chalk & Cheese,

This leads me to the B side of ABC Rock Steady, And as I say at 17 years old and to actually own one of not just an early Reggae Record, I can honestly state 100% this is Reggae at it's very best, very very best I am sure many collectors who did not hear this in context as I did, may have a better example, but check it out. and when you talk about Steggae Jeggae Reggi Reggay or Reggae mention the record SOUL DRUMS, AND LEAVE THE PUSSEY RECORDS TILL YOU GETBACK TO YOUR YARD :lol: So the joke is the bloke who lives in hope1 TO GET SOME CORN FOR DOPE & COKE! SO DONT BE SORE AT ME NO MORE, WHEN YOU ARE SLACK DON'T SMOKE CRACK! It's a KILLER, SO AM i, LATER BABYLONS :rofl: DAVE

post-13241-0-19360000-1334096726_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

I remember back in the day , You would see some poor sod carrying this about all night trying to sell it for £5 just to get rid of it so they could go and enjoy themselves LoL

Gone up a bit in price since

https://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

i have been offered a couple of them in last few months -40 and 50 pounds
Social source share

Did not say it was ' rare ' Pete that's a hot potato term anyhow - just one of the more elusive Grapevine releases. At the time of release Grapevine distribution was sporadic to say the least .... as the label was coming to it's ultimate end....

Incidentally have not managed to sell one myself ....seller was obviously a lucky bugger.... :ohmy:

Social source share

No you are right Glyn, it is one of the more elusive ones, but my experience over the last 4/5 months of selling Grapevines, a complete set and numerous spares, is that the interest peaked a year or 18 months ago and more or less everyone who wanted them has now got them I think. In general I mean.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I don't understand what's Comedic about this sale - it's a pretty rare 45.

Books at £25 (both issues) , Promo £40

most on popsyke are around the £20 mark inc promo's

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Someone got a bargain - Probably Pete Smith...

I had no idea it was pete as his Ebay name is Mayfairmenthol and he told me he smokes Silk Cut :yes: Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!