Comedy Sale Of The Day

Pete S

Thinking of bidding on this but which record grading do I trust?

“No original jacket. Does not skip VG-”, Condition: VG+ or Record Grading: Good (G). Did ask the seller but he has not got back to me yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311334579995?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To paraphrase Ketty Lester; Some records are best left unbought.....

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's 3 times what a Stardust boot once made. Errr????????????? I give up.

I am struggling to grasp the situation, £360 for the album.

Then check out Discogs 

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6857130?ev=rb

or GEMM

https://www.gemm.com/search?field=ARTIST&wild=tempests&media_format=18

and all of these are a third the price, why carry on bidding when you can get same thing for a lot less elsewhere.. :rofl:

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

You mean apart from the singer?  :facepalm:  :no:

That is a released track ironically on the B side of a Stardust release , it's the B side to Gary Knight's night people and it's Belle Benchly  (sic) or someone like that an identical original acetate was in my attic until a few days ago . It's on a regent sound studios acetate and the titles My Boy . Al Gallico music publishing out of new York not Detroit. This came in a batch of acetates I bought about 30 years ago. There was some real goodies in there plus one or two North American Indian chanting that were live recordings taken during shamanic trances ( right up my ally ) which were strangely better sounding than the my boy track. Best regards Chief eagle soaring over frozen river,

Social source share

That is a released track ironically on the B side of a Stardust release , it's the B side to Gary Knight's night people and it's Belle Benchly  (sic) or someone like that an identical original acetate was in my attic until a few days ago . It's on a regent sound studios acetate and the titles My Boy . Al Gallico music publishing out of new York not Detroit. This came in a batch of acetates I bought about 30 years ago. There was some real goodies in there plus one or two North American Indian chanting that were live recordings taken during shamanic trances ( right up my ally ) which were strangely better sounding than the my boy track. Best regards Chief eagle soaring over frozen river,

That`s very enlightening Simon, thanks!

Two Dogs Fu@king.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

That`s very enlightening Simon, thanks!

Two Dogs Fu@king.

Morning Steve I'll get a bucket of cold water for you two then.

Social source share

Completely different type of comedy to the usual deluded sellers - the title of the last track always makes me chuckle

https://www.discogs.com/Gladys-Knight-And-The-Pips-All-I-Need-Is-Time/master/112843

I think the person who put this up needs to retrain/recalibrate (or whatever you do to it) his siri

Do you know what ? I hadn't got a clue what you where on about , even clicked on the YouTube bit and then read it again and now have Red Wine all over the place lol !!! :lol:  :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

Well I had my very own 'comedy sale of the day' today when I received a bunch of filler cheapies I had bought from a US seller (who took 13 days *just to post the package*) and found that, not only had he left one of the records out of the package, but also... a few of them advertised as NM and VG+ looked like this: 

NM_IMG_20150428_201128.jpg

(yes, I actually bought that record - I like the flip and my copy was worn out.. so much for thinking I was getting a better one!) 

I don't expect I'll be getting my money back as this was a Discogs sale and Paypal will wash their hands of it.. 

Social source share

Guest Waggy

I don't expect I'll be getting my money back as this was a Discogs sale and Paypal will wash their hands of it...........

Thats bad. You can make your feelings clear with appropriate feedback if the seller wont refund you............

Edited by Waggy
Social source share

Those comments at the end of the article are unfair though.  Amazingly, Northern Soul existed before the people making those comments were even on the scene, and as Kev said, 1000 people on a Monday night is not to be scoffed at.  I went to Stafford alldayers which pre-dated the allnighters, I never went to the allnighters, does that mean the alldayers are unimportant and don't exist?  

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Amazingly, Northern Soul carried on when others making comments stopped going :)

Here's the acid test, you hear people speak of Stafford TOTW as a soul venue, it's in relation to the unique attitude back then but mainly the sounds that were 'Stafford records' ; like there were Wigan records, Mecca records, 100 Club records, Lifeline records etc.

How many of the 100s of records thought of as Stafford tunes are from these 'legendary' Monday nights? Compare that number to the Top Dog Nighters turnover.

TOTW is in the soul history books for the Top Dog allnighters, nothing else. I know some who were not really involved then don't like that, but I'm afraid that's how it is.

Those comments at the end of the article are unfair though.  Amazingly, Northern Soul existed before the people making those comments were even on the scene, and as Kev said, 1000 people on a Monday night is not to be scoffed at.  I went to Stafford alldayers which pre-dated the allnighters, I never went to the allnighters, does that mean the alldayers are unimportant and don't exist?  

Social source share

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JERRY-BUTLER-MOODY-WOMAN-/301621009959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463a035e27

I have a demo but never suspected that the issue was so rare.............

Edit:

I haven't looked on Ebay for a while, I'm shocked that this example isn't unusual, and at least it's an original...........

Has everyone gone mad?..................

Edited by grouse
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JERRY-BUTLER-MOODY-WOMAN-/301621009959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463a035e27

I have a demo but never suspected that the issue was so rare.............

Edit:

I haven't looked on Ebay for a while, I'm shocked that this example isn't unusual, and at least it's an original...........

Has everyone gone mad?..................

Got to be a typing error, I think they mean £12.00

Then again some buyer might think this is one of the rarest and pay over the full £1200, in this day and age nothing much surprises me. :hatsoff2:

Atb

Stu

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!