Al Green - Genius I Reckon

I've no recollection of any Al Green concert I attend being changed. I'm sure I've not seen Rufus Thomas or Tami Lynn.

Of Course I could be wrong...a long time ago, but my initial thoughts when I posted were Al Green and Phillip Mitchell on the same show. I had PM's Jay Boy "I'm gonna build California" so I was interested in seeing him.

It must have been a different concert I saw because believe me you would remember  seeing Rufus Thomas, I'm guessing they did an extra show when Al Green  recoverd from the flu  and kept PM as support after he went down so well at the concert  I saw. Happy days indeed, 

Social source share

Just remembered the concert was at the New Century Hall, part of the Co-op Bank complex.

I don't think I saw Al Green on any other occasion, but it was a long time ago  :yes:

Social source share

I was 12 when I first heard 'Tired Of Being Alone' on Top Of The Pops and it had a life-changing effect on me.

Nothing had ever sounded so dynamic, hip, cool, fresh, raw, passionate, intense, soulful, sexy, whatever...

I needed a week off school just to get my head together.

Sometimes I wonder... if you love me like you say you do

You see, baby, I, I, I, I been thinkin' about it, yeeeaahh

I've been, I've been wanting to get next to ya, baby

You see, sometimes I fold my arms, I say...

:ohmy:

Edited by Paul
Social source share

great five pound dancer....

https://youtu.be/RBI9XFMiA1s

apparently he didn't like lets stay together,thought he sounded like a girl...he almost turned willie Mitchell and hi down....he said no and their coach was leaving for a gig somewhere and he changed his mind ran up and tapped on the door as it was pulling away..the rest as they say...

Best of em all Spacehopper, Iv'e got 2 copies, pity it's only 1.45 min's, like you say, a £5 belter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"‹like an earlier poster it was Tired go Being Alone hitting the UK charts and Top of the Pops that turned my life's musical path in the direction of Soul, I was buying Motown and Reggae by then but this was something different and something I had to have more of....

i've strayed from that path from time to time but i'm back there now and i'll always be grateful to Reverend Al

i've been to a few of his concerts and remember being irritated by people whooping and cheering loudly mid song every time Al hit one of his extended notes, meaning you get never really got to hear him sing a song all the way through properly

i've always had the feeling that Southern Soul purists dismiss Al Green, probably because he was too popular and his 'eccentric' singing style

the end part of 'Let's Get Married' is probably my favourite Al Green

Social source share

How Do You Mend Broken Heart, inspired by a broken heart from a fiesty Scottish woman allegedly, conceived by 3 honky** hippies from a British backwater, and unbelievably based

steady on, I think that's the lovely Chorlton  you're talking about, which benefits from being next to the beautiful green rolling hills of Stretford !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!