"my Baby Can't Say No" - The Speed Limits

This was an unissued acetate played by Rob Marriott in the late '80s.

Anyone know anything about this acetate, or has anyone else played it? Is it a one-off which will never see the light of day again?

Who remembers it? I haven't heard it for about 17 years, but it is an absolutely awesome slice of group vocal and a soul dancer to boot!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest kermack

I've got a mp3/old tape with it and quaility poor, if remember rightly acetate was bit rough. [/qu
ote]

Any chance of an mp3 ?

Johnny K.

Social source share

Any chance of an mp3 ?

mp3 posting is suspended for the time being, johnny, till mike decides a firm policy going forward. copyright worries, essentially :)

Social source share

Anyone know anything about this acetate, or has anyone else played it? Is it a one-off which will never see the light of day again?

Who remembers it? I haven't heard it for about 17 years, but it is an absolutely awesome slice of group vocal and a soul dancer to boot!

The original acetate is a "Cutlass" studio acetate as far as I remember. The take I have is poor quality becasue of the acetate and being a cassette recording of it. The original acetate comes to an end, and then about 2 seconds later they start up again with a final "can't say no", very odd.

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I think Steve Phillis has a or Robs old copy smile.gif sure he's played it befor, he's speedlimit on here smile.gif]

hi baz n chalky, only just seen this by chance 6 years too late lol the original acetate was definitely on cutlass, not sure think, tim ashebendie had it of rob, he did me a cut before he sold it, as it was my favourite sound of the time still got it and play it out occasionally , as this is top quality group soul and deserves to be played

atb steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always thought Rob got it from Jimmy? Jimmy was playing it mid 80's, got it on a playlist of Jimmy's from '86 at Rock City. Think I've still got the early LaBeat lists? Don't remember Speedlimit on them though but having said that I have trouble remembering what I've had for breakfast some times.

Social source share

Jim wensiora had it early 8ts; as someone else pointed out, jim had so many great records at the time, he didn't have the gigs to play everything he had. Rob marriott bought it off jim when he was selling his collection around 85. Rob had a go at pushing it, but it never really got off the ground. When rob sold up, he let tim ashibende have it.

Tim eventually sold it through pat brady a few years ago. I saw it re-appear on pat's auction list about 8 months ago and im not sure if it was the same acetate, or possibly another copy turned up. Pat brady will know the answer to that.

Social source share

Never forget it, remember Rob pushing it, us Aycliffe lads loved it, but as mentioned it never reached the same heights as O C Tolbert (aka Cleveland Wilson) acetate "I'm Shooting High", which he played, much to our delight 3 times in one night at The Swan in Mansfield, great records, great days

Kev

Social source share

The original acetate is a "Cutlass" studio acetate as far as I remember. The take I have is poor quality becasue of the acetate and being a cassette recording of it.

The recording I had was fine with no hiss or distortion, so the quality issue was probably due to the cassette format.

Great atmospheric track.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Having a rummage ...as you do

I used to play this record when we started at the old Rugby Club as York Soul Club after moving from The Holgate...trying to remember when it was

The Speedlimit    Cant Say No  Cutlass acetate 

Its a different mix completely to the one featured on Pats Auction

Plays pure and crisp.

I understand that they were also..before or after??  The Hollywood Flames...

Same group?

Edited by john parker
Social source share

Like mentioned earlier the original acetate was sold by Pat Brady for Tim A, i can remember because i wanted it but it was out of my price range at the time - if the truth be known the record is a victim of it's own quality, it will never work it is just too good. I've no clue where that copy went to. Re the Cutless acetate that is a made up custom press of Rob's i remember him doing it and playing it off it.  The original acetate was a 7" large centre off creamy colour with "can't say no" typed on the label , speedlimit was a made up name (i think) Tim many years ago mentioned Greg had found some tapes containing two tracks  one being the exact recording from the original acetate and a different superior mix without the whisper replys - Tim let me have a recording of the diff mix to play out . I play it to a empty floor unless  Al coneys in the room (Aycliffe ) lads always had great taste and will continue to do so... Also there was a group name credited to the  master tape recordings that did at least three released 45's to my knowledge but that would be up to Tim to tell you who..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 26/01/2016 at 02:44, Dysonsoul said:

Like mentioned earlier the original acetate was sold by Pat Brady for Tim A, i can remember because i wanted it but it was out of my price range at the time - if the truth be known the record is a victim of it's own quality, it will never work it is just too good. I've no clue where that copy went to. Re the Cutless acetate that is a made up custom press of Rob's i remember him doing it and playing it off it.  The original acetate was a 7" large centre off creamy colour with "can't say no" typed on the label , speedlimit was a made up name (i think) Tim many years ago mentioned Greg had found some tapes containing two tracks  one being the exact recording from the original acetate and a different superior mix without the whisper replys - Tim let me have a recording of the diff mix to play out . I play it to a empty floor unless  Al coneys in the room (Aycliffe ) lads always had great taste and will continue to do so... Also there was a group name credited to the  master tape recordings that did at least three released 45's to my knowledge but that would be up to Tim to tell you who..

Thanks for the Aycliffe lads name check Andy, yes, we were mad and still are about The Speedlimits "Can't say no" don't think it went that big back in the day when Rob had it either, you have coined the phrase perfectly Andy, "it is just too good" hope you are well mate

Kev

Social source share

On 26/01/2016 at 02:44, Dysonsoul said:

Pretty sure thats the one Ive got Andy...large centre with typed label...Cutlass Recording isn't printed on this side but it is on the flip..Got it off Pat maybe 10 years ago

Social source share

Hello John that's right , you obviously got Tims , for some reason i thought the flip was just blank i can't for the life of me figure out the Cutlass connection cos like i mentioned before the scan chalky posted up is definately not original - i only just clicked on the link that takes you to Pats auction , it would be impossible for it to be bona fida cos speedlimits was a made up name and the actual group iwho recorded it is different. Hope to see you out and about soon.atb A

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!