Record Cleaner

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Juniorsoul

I saw a bloke cleaning his copy of Mel Britt on saturday night with wood glue, can anyone vouch for it?

Because as far as I can see, it's fucking ludicrous.

Social source share

Thanks Tony, still learning on IPad.     As for the wood glue! A record shop owner in Rotterdam told me that they leave it on till it sets, then they peel it of with the debris, he did tell me that it worked. It's got to be water based glue. Rod

Pity the pictures shrunk though, do the same with my washing.  :D

Is there no picture rotate on the pictures you save ?

Don't have i-pad so don't know.

Social source share

:thumbsup: I mix Vinegar and fairy liquid together ! and then using my ex army bulling finger, I rub it in then wash off with warm water. Making shaw not to get water on label, then buff up with soft velvet cloth.  works a treat to get crap out. Rod  :thumbup:

It may work brilliantly in the short term, but that's acid you're putting on, and it will eat away the vinyl and do no good at all.

As for wood glue, then that's pretty neutral as far as vinyl is concerned as its main constituent is a similar vinyl component, though a good professioanl record cleaner will do a better job, and much. much quicker.

Social source share

m3c_QHKvz0SNi3l2aIPiJsQ.jpg

I know theres been numerous threads about this subject but has anyone ever tried one of these.

Cheers

Dave

I tried it and still use it. Forget the fluid that comes with it. It works but it's only good for one or two rounds. Even if you use the filter tissues. Mix your own fluid. I use water and soap. Was told pure water and window cleaner is much better. Don't know the ratio tho. 2:3 or so? Better google it.

I usually clean my records using tap water and soap. But when I buy a job lot of records or a record is really dirty I use my anti-stat. Works every time.

Social source share

I saw a bloke cleaning his copy of Mel Britt on saturday night with wood glue, can anyone vouch for it?

Because as far as I can see, it's fucking ludicrous.

Check YouTube for a variety of short homemade videos on this subject

It seems to work but I ain't got the testicles for it.

Derek

Social source share

i've used wood glue and what people here call PVA glue (we just call it "elmers glue" in the US as it's omnipresent in schools growing up, it's white). they both have about the same effectiveness but i'd prefer the PVA glue because it is water soluble. If you don't peel it all off you can just wipe it off with water and a cloth. there's not much to be scared of if you want to try it because it's water soluble.

Social source share

I tried it and still use it. Forget the fluid that comes with it. It works but it's only good for one or two rounds. Even if you use the filter tissues. Mix your own fluid. I use water and soap. Was told pure water and window cleaner is much better. Don't know the ratio tho. 2:3 or so? Better google it.

I usually clean my records using tap water and soap. But when I buy a job lot of records or a record is really dirty I use my anti-stat. Works every time.

I mix the fluid that came with that with about 8 parts water.  Spray it on the record, then play it while still wet.

Does it work?  Does for me.  But more often than not, I just use a small spot of washing up liquid and rinse it in warm water.

That foam I used to use did the job, got masses of dirt out of the grooves, but was dangerous to use indoors because of the fumes.

Social source share

No it works brilliantly.  Takes all the crap out of the grooves.

Pete, hows this done again?  I've been aware of it for years but never had the guts to try it, in case I F***K it up...

Oh right, just scroll up... cheers Derek.

M

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!