Lyrics To George Freeman - Down And Out

Guest smc66

Guest smc66

cant help but wail along to this amazing song but one line evades me so I make it up.  Would love to know what he is really singing:

The third verse says I'm getting out, I'll never stop, nothings gonna keep me from the top...

please someone tell me the next line,

Thanks

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

cant help but wail along to this amazing song but one line evades me so I make it up.  Would love to know what he is really singing:

The third verse says I'm getting out, I'll never stop, nothings gonna keep me from the top...

Thanks

I think it's summat like  "Goes beyond what's dark and long, won't stand in my way"

There's another cut by "The Four Winds" on the Tube so you might be able to gain a bit from that

Don't like "The Four Winds" but George Freeman is a super record

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

"Roads beyond, once dark and long, won't stand in my way now."

:g:

Roads ....... yeah makes sense now    :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Thanks

"lonely hour was dark and long wont stand in my way now.........no more sky's are grey now"

I think you might be on about that bit near the end  :thumbsup:

please take advantage.....click link below

https://www.ageukhearingaids.co.uk/hearing-aid-technology?gclid=CL_eyYz6_rwCFUcTwwod9W4Anw

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest smc66

thank you Gaz!  I have listened to so many different recordings of it to see if varying sound qualities would help and I still couldnt get it!  I can now wail away in my inimitable way using the correct words   :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest smc66

oh dear, just read further up the page and there are more replies!  Unsure now which is correct.   Thanks folks, gonna have another listen with the replies in mind and see which fits!!  Whatever he sings it is two and half minutes of pure class

Edited by smc66
Social source share

"lonely hour was dark and long wont stand in my way now.........no more sky's are grey now"

I think you might be on about that bit near the end  :thumbsup:

please take advantage.....click link below

https://www.ageukhearingaids.co.uk/hearing-aid-technology?gclid=CL_eyYz6_rwCFUcTwwod9W4Anw

That's exactly what I thought after multiple listens. Thing is though, the 'lonely hour' doesn't match up to the 'won't stand in my way'.

Not certain that I'm right at all, but after continual listens - with and without headphones - that's all I can make it to be. Maybe a fresh pair of ears will hear something different.

Brilliant, brilliant tune. Absolutely sublime lyrics - sheer poetry.

Social source share

I have another version by I forget now,,,,white singer.
I will see what he has to say.                                                                                                                

Social source share

It's the one mentioned above mate, The Four Winds, it's absolutely shocking.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

That's exactly what I thought after multiple listens. Thing is though, the 'lonely hour' doesn't match up to the 'won't stand in my way'.

Not certain that I'm right at all, but after continual listens - with and without headphones - that's all I can make it to be. Maybe a fresh pair of ears will hear something different.

Brilliant, brilliant tune. Absolutely sublime lyrics - sheer poetry.

it sort of makes sense ie; a homeless person - lonely endless time on the streets are not going to hold him there, he is on the up type of scenario

Social source share

It's the one mentioned above mate, The Four Winds, it's absolutely shocking.

Possibly Dick Hafner on Silver Streak. Obviously connected in some way as he also recorded on Valiant with Go 'Way Tears

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

i have go way tears on valiant

i have always enjoyed giving it the odd spin in my front room

the orchestra are probably the same unit as George Freeman 45

a lovely 60s record 

i love the note he holds at the end, teriffic

still don't agree with comparing hafners lyrics on down and out, i think george freeman went ad hoc and changed them or hafner did, whoever did it first

just listened to george again and he deffo does not sing the word "roads" on that 45

you lot will be telling me there is no such thing as 60s r&b dancers and calling it northern soul next ??

:wicked:

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

i have go way tears on valiant

i have always enjoyed giving it the odd spin in my front room

the orchestra are probably the same unit as George Freeman 45

a lovely 60s record 

i love the note he holds at the end, teriffic

still don't agree with comparing hafners lyrics on down and out, i think george freeman went ad hoc and changed them or hafner did, whoever did it first

just listened to george again and he deffo does not sing the word "roads" on that 45

you lot will be telling me there is no such thing as 60s r&b dancers and calling it northern soul next ??

:wicked:

He deffo does    :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!