Guest gaz thomas

Guest gaz thomas

so it  turned up  ln quantity in the end 

a few copys have been dripped out for a few months if you check popsike

i hear rumours the seller has lots and lots of them

anyone know? 

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

He doesn't have any issue copies does he?

no, there all demo copy's the ones i have seen on e bay and the ones on popsike

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

thought i would point this out as i had not seen anyone talk about the obvious find

he will go quiet re listing for a bit, cause everyone has predictably been asking him how many copy's etc 

but i personally would wait a couple of years

certainly would not give over a ton for it at present

may be wrong, but i have a feeling he has loads of these

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

I mentioned this a few weeks on the biggest price drop thread.I contacted him about 6 months ago.He had some mint copies but sold them and the rest all have bubbles.He said he was selling them for his brother and there was a boxfull.Can't see why he should stop selling if he is getting $700 per copy.Money talks.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=jesse+davis+hang+on&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Evidently a buy if you're desperate situation but sit tight if you're not. If these have dripped out via Second Chance Offers, then maybe 25-30 copies have earned the finder a princely sum and rightly so as he has cornered the market for a very good record. He's not saying how many copies he has got. I would imagine he will say 'Last Copy' when the time comes. As the records are pressed into 25 count boxes placed into 100 count cartons, the seller may have between 20-70 remaining, assuming he started with boxes intact. We're getting into Four Tracks territory here but not quite a Danny Moore scenario yet... I would recommend backing off buying this record as the price is too high and may well drop in future auctions.

Social source share

In my day it was a £15:00 record which indicated that it was rarer than most and hadn't been pressed. In the 80's a lot were found by various people in varying quantities, Dave Withers for one.Obviously the price had increased by then....but in this day and age I cannot envisage anyone parting with that amount of money for the record......and it is a great record.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A few have sold for this kind of money recently...on the back of which I listed mine last year for that price and had 12 calls for it....it surprised me but there you go.

In case you think Im full of shit I'll happily buy any ex cond copiea offered at £200 all day long.....(unless another boxfull turn up of course!)

Social source share

It was listed on here and sold very very quick.

I didn't update sold status for a while and received another 11 enquiries.

You and Pete reckon £200 max so that's why I said Id be happy to buy af that...regardless of % margin....but surely you guys would be more than happy with that if it's worth no more!

PM with if either of you land a spare....cash waiting!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The reason you got eleven more enquiries after you flogged it is that,

A) You didn't say that it had been sold.

B) The interest was from people who wanted it, but thinking it hadn't gone, got in touch, hoping at a cheaper price.

C) You sold it to the only person that would pay £350:00

It is 40 years after I first heard it, as I said it was a rarish thing then......I haven't got one now, and wouldn't want one now, even at half the price.....it isn't worth the money.

Social source share

Someone I know listed one on FB a few months later at £325....it also sold very quickly.

The 11 other enquiries I received were during the same day, not a few weeks later from chancers after a bargain thinking it was overpriced.

It is what it is.....I actually reckon you'd probably get £400 from someone!

Anyways, mine is long gone so god knows why I'm arguing the toss....sell em at £200 for all I care.

;o)

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

https://collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=betty+lloyd&search-button=

Plenty of instances in the above link going back 4 years of the disc selling for over $400 and even $500 plus.  The test press on popsike fetched nearly $1000.

This scene doesn't live in the real world.  The fact is that no one does any homework and can see a seller has quantity on a 45, Jesse Davis one example.  Clara Hardy another recent example.   They just jump right in, more money than sense in some cases some might say.  The price might drops when people realise but once the stock dries up the price rises again....ala Betty Lloyd.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yeah, sorry once again I am dead wrong....Betty Lloyd was a rare record in the mid 1970's.....it was a £15:00 record like Donna King, Dynamics on Top Ten, Ann Perry.....that's when they were BIG.

Betty Llyod was never really big in those days coz it wasn't up to the standard with its stop /start/twangy guitar sound.....and the Detroit Dib Dobs Club hadn't yet formed.....the scene kept moving relentlessly forward and few records got a second chance.....ie.....Fabulous Jades on Rika.....I do not think that Betty Lloyd is £350:00 worth of record....that's all.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personal opinions are one thing...current market value is another.

I wasn't aware that the record was even known 40 years ago (1974?) though I was 6 so what would I know.....but I'm sure there are plenty more records that were £15 back then that command more than £350 now.

The price did fall when it turned up but slowly and surely rose back up in the last 5 years or so.

It's obvious by the subsequent replies that folk do value it at the price I quoted, and there are plenty of examples online to back it up.

The fact that you and Pete think its worth less is of no consequence to its market value, and I'm sure the next one listed either on here or on eBay (if in ex cond and advertised correctly) will only re-confirm this.

On saying that I just noticed there's a lookalike boot all over eBay....well,I presume its a boot?

Apologies if fully licensed....

Edited by Mace
Social source share

I don't wish to upset anyone on here but to me theres a world of difference with BL & JD

one is cabaret the other is pure Northern quality..... BUT, whatever turns you on is all that matters.

P.S, i'm sure you can see which i'm implying to which.

Good luck you record hunters :thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't wish to upset anyone on here but to me theres a world of difference with BL & JD

one is cabaret the other is pure Northern quality..... BUT, whatever turns you on is all that matters.

P.S, i'm sure you can see which i'm implying to which.

Good luck you record hunters :thumbsup:

Not really, they're both bloody brilliant records!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!