Willie Collins 'two Lives' Question

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest trickbag

Otis Redding was such an important and successful artist it was inevitable that he wouldgeneva104.jpg influence other, possibly less talented singers. "Influence" in some cases tripped over into "imitation" of course but singers like Johnny Soul and James Duncan kept mostly to the right side of the line. Willie Collins' "Two lives" walks a difficult tightrope. With a rhythm riff from "These arms of mine" and a horn chart that recalls "I've been loving you too long" the Otis factor scores pretty highly. What makes this a classic though is the depth and conviction that Collins brings to the song - a riveting vocal performance, particularly for '69. Although Geneva is generally recognised as a Chicago label, the address here is New York. Can anyone throw any light on this? Collins certainly seems to be a Windy City man, cutting a good 45 for Panic before becoming part of BW and the Next Edition on Dakar. I guess the Will Collins and Willpower on Mercury etc through the 70s and the Will Collins on Capitol in the 80s are the same guy. If so the producers soon told him to stop singing like this - far too sweaty and black for general acceptance

Melingo

seems this is the first release  the other is a reissue

429734.JPG  429734-001.JPG  ricky.

Social source share

Geneva a Chicago record label? That's not right, it was Detroit with a new York arm when Ernest Kelley went there (ErnKel on the record). The Willie Collins is  Wil Collins and Willie Collins of the 70s and 80s…..1969 just before he fronted B W & The Next Edition c early 70s.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest trickbag

4497.png   WILLLIE COLLINS  two lives / i want some satisfaction Singer Willie Collins, Chicago Soul legend recorded here his first single on the the tiny label "Geneva Records" out of Chicago in 1969, even if the address on the single is New York City.

Within a few seconds, you will see that Willie was definitively inspired by the famous "Otis Reading". So,listen to "two lives".

Afterward, he released a few singles, 12inch and a LP using differents names such as will collins & willpower , b.w. & the next edition and willlie collins.

Style : Northern & Southern Soul Media : 7inch (SP) Label : geneva Press : GE 101 Year : 1969 Country : USA Staff : willie bridges (arranger),  billy nichols (writer),  ernest kelley (producer) Value : contribute Contributor's rating : rating-4.gif Visitors ratings : Be the first one to rate this release Groovecollector Guide ID : 4497

ricky.

Social source share

Where are you getting this stuff from?  :no:

Dunno where he was born but Willie Collins was a Brooklyn singer, and friends with Billy Nichols etc. His band competed with a pre B T Express (King David Houserockers) in the late 60s.

Ernest Kelley was from Detroit…This has nothing to do with Chicago as far as I can see.

Do not believe it has been booted Dr Bob.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I looked at this when I got a copy of this a few years ago and realised the other side was also done by Betty Bibbs on GeNEVA (Detroit address).  As Steve said; although it states NYC, I believe this release is linked to Ernest Kelly's Detroit "addressed" label of the same name and there are no other (to my knowledge) Geneva NYC releases.  This release has heavy involvement by Kelley;  writing and production and I don't believe he had any strong links to Chicago (boba or Robbk, any input would be greatly appreciated). This view seems to be supported by the Grapevine CD "Kelley's Soul Heroes" which includes both the Willie Collins and Betty Bibbs tracks.  There is the possibility that John Ridley made a mistake when writing the review on Yoni Neeman's web site. 

I too don't think this was booted with the differences due to different pressing plants.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

:ohmy:

Hi John, I do have other Geneva New York releases. There were several of em….

I stand corrected.  Yes, a, brain cells now working.  Charles and Ivory and Cletus Marland (different design, same numbering sequence) being a couple of them.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

:ohmy:

I stand corrected.  Yes, a, brain cells now working.  Charles and Ivory and Cletus Marland (different design, same numbering sequence) being a couple of them.

John,

Charles and Ivory

Cletus Marland etc. Think there were about 6 of them from NY.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest trickbag

mark_bottom.gif

Mark,

The Geneva label that issued the Cletus Marland
single was New York based - owned (?)/ run by
Ernest Kelley. He moved to Detroit in the late
sixties / early seventies and revived the label
signing up people like Johnny Griffiths and Priscilla Price.

He also seems to have been involved with another
early sixties New York label, Lake - home of the
Cashmeres.

.dave

the detroit design.                                                        

$(KGrHqR,!n4FIpukzdJDBSKdhyoWgQ~~60_35.J

you may be right about Chicago

ricky.

Edited by trickbag
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now