Some Record Describing Terms I Do Not Know, Please Advise

In my book there are two main types of warping of a record:

1) Dishing - this is where the record is warped in a concave manner right around the surface so it will not sit flat on the turntable. This creates a 'dish' or 'bowl' shape. The needle usually does not move up and down when being played. Slight dishing is often not even mentioned by people when selling.

2) Edge warp - where part of the disc is warped and so part of the record does not sit flat when on a turntable. This creates a wave (up and down movement) when the record is playing when the needle goes up and down.

The main issue is whether people declare warps, and if they do whether they are genuinely slight and do not affect play as is usually claimed. I would have thought that playing a disc over and over that has an edge warp would eventually lead to uneven wear on a record.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Well, there's been quite a few years now and i still don't know what "dish" means? "it has a slight dish" or something like that

or "chip"  "chip in"... i believe i have one with the "chip" and i have no idea what it is :)

any info appreciated

It amazes me to see those 45's curled up into ornaments.... which you see in retro shops

Social source share

Ive got 2 dish/bowl records,made in the oven.Ideal for keeping my nuts in.

Stick a photo of em on here Kev.... it's the way forward mate... to be believed :)

Whoa! A photo of Kevs nuts? Even if they are being cupped by dished vinyl......  Is that even allowed?

:lol:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

here's few that might help

SS       Still Sealed

M   Mint/Unplayed/Brand New

M-   Very Small Sign of Play

E Excellent. Small Marks Not Audible 

VG  Scratches, Marks and Audible Wear 

STR     Sticker 

STR  Sticker Mark

LT   Label Tear

NAP    Does Not Affect Play

WL   Writing on Label

CR    Crack 

WRP Edge Warp 

DSH Storage Dish 

SWR  Sleeve Wear 

D  Demo Copy 

PS Picture Sleeve  

Edited by mickjay33
Social source share

Just tried the photo,but one of my nuts fell through the spindle hole.All my friends are EX with edge warp.

Just tried the photo,but one of my nuts fell through the spindle hole.All my friends are EX with edge warp.

You need bigger nuts.... Simples!

Steve

Social source share

Warping/dishing is virtually impossible to flatten but has anyone any tricks to eliminate felt pen (WOL)

Rather difficult with the permanent markers i know!

I in no way recommend or advise this ,but soak a tissue or cotton ball in isoprol and dab the affected area will remove some inks ( it may damage the label extreme caution is needed . not my fault if someone fecks anything )

Social source share

ANY dishing will affect play, so don't agree with anything saying "slight dish - NAP"

depends on how sensitive your stereo / ear is.

pen is easier to clean than marker (with certain exceptions where the marker is on certain paper types). neither is super easy to clean though, I usually leave them alone.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!