Is Soul The New Punk?

I see more and more Pop artists changing tack on approaches to music to either change direction or emulate?

I saw Paloma Faith on TV this morning do a Sharon Jones type song and thought theres more & more of these establised pop artists moving into a soul based aura! Just like Punk moved away from Pop and rock is soul doing the same or having a similar effect on the music industry?

Social source share

Hmmm.. Ernie, I think it's different - these are very benign and friendly influences.

Punk was rock music violently reacting against itself - no matter how you think about it it was part of a straight lineage -  rocknroll, beat groups, garage rock, all band/guitar based rock. When it started to become diluted and jaded, then there was a 'revolution'.

I guess the big transitions in soul have been equally revolutionary, but less confrontational? rnb to motown style soul, to psych soul to funk to disco to hi nrg, house, hip hop etc etc etc

Has there been the same kind of animosity towards older genres on the soul scene compared to the attitude of punk towards 'dinosaur rock'? I think rock music journalists have been instrumental in stoking this up. There's been less of a need for a dramatic and vicious soul 'year zero' because the quality, beauty and sheer class of the music has always been pretty consistent.

That's my view anyway (even as someone who loves punk and indie and garage rock etc.. as well as soul). Feel free to wade in!…..

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I really like Paloma Faith. She can do something that less and less people in the pop world can manage. And that is sing.

Social source share

I really like Paloma Faith. She can do something that less and less people in the pop world can manage. And that is sing.

And she not stuck up her own arse or afraid to take the Mickey out of herself. Yeah, like her too and the stuff on her new album is very soulful!

Social source share

because the quality, beauty and sheer class of the music has always been pretty consistent.

Very well put - it is because of this I hate to hear,  or see the need, to dabble in it, sample it, re-jig it or dress it up as something new.   Lee fields, Charles Bradley, Sharon Jones are the real deal if I want something new.   I'll pass on Duffy, Stone, Hucknall, Faith and the likes....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!