Grier Bros-Weeping Baby

Dobber

Awful record (IMHO). Plenty of copies around. Don't know where they disappeared to. Ended up with two copies after I bought two 15 count soul packs from two different UK dealers in the early 2000's. Can't see what's so special about it....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know about ebay getting more than Manship these days. He auctioned a copy about a year ago (?) ending up at £250+ and that equals about $400, so not that far off. There was a copy for £250 on angloamericans list recently as well. So obviously this one has gone in demand. Probably wasn't that well known before. I agree about the quality of the recording, but that's part of the charm now isn't it?  :)

I love it!

Edited by Sammy
Social source share

Great hard hitting raw group harmony soul,

& tbh It`s that poor sound what makes it even more special to me (Imho) 

Atb,

totally agree with you about the sound quality that's what makes the record.

loved the record for years seems to be in demand nowadays , don't think its worth £300 though...

Boff....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

First heard this on the soul supply LP ' under the street lamp' I think for allot of folk just it's inclusion on there was enough to want to get it, was with me....I loved the obscure sounding labels on the listing side.... Great Lp's

Strange though, I bought the LP back then and then set about getting all the 45s on it again... That's kinda stupid really.,..laughs..,

Not my favourite on that LP, but just can't bring my self to part with it...

Mal

Social source share

It was probably only really known to collectors as it hadn't had much turntable action at all until recently.  Had brief spins in the mid 80's with Keb.  I started playing it about two or three years ago, still do now and again.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

just seen grier bros-weeping baby end at $535

i thought this was a £100 to £150 record...if your lucky?

good tune,but a god awful recording

ebay is getting bigger prices than jm's lately,wonder if that will filter onto here...haha

I have a really good copy so pleased with it because most have sound distortion problems

MOT

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a minter if anyone wants to offer silly money  :thumbup:

Truly amazed at this, was after it bout 4/5 years ago hard to find but Butch came to my rescue ...........at £40 :thumbsup:

Played it at Solid Hit for a few months, I love it must dig it out again

Sure this was played in 70s / early 80s

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Truly amazed at this, was after it bout 4/5 years ago hard to find but Butch came to my rescue ...........at £40 :thumbsup:

Played it at Solid Hit for a few months, I love it must dig it out again

Sure this was played in 70s / early 80s

Was played back in the 80s apparently Dave I may be wrong I usually am but I think I read somewhere gary rushbrook spin. Had a few sold a few and kept a minter but suprised its going for this money now but hey all the same not suprised its getting spins its a bloody good tune.  

Social source share

I have a really good copy so pleased with it because most have sound distortion problems

MOT

Its not distortion,its just an echo/reverb on recording.Sounds like it was recorded in a tunnel.

Great nighter tune.A friend picked one up at Rugby nighter for a very reasonable price,about 2 years ago.I managed to fight off all-comer's on the bay and win one for song soon after :) .That one ended up in Germany. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes but I heard it years before Keb in the mid 80s Chalky

I don't doubt that and don't think for a minute it was unknown then.  I did hear it got a brief play at the mecca but other than Keb I have seen no other mention of any other dj playing it.  No one to my knowledge has ever got behind it until more recently.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!