Gmc Label Discography

boba

did this to see what soul records were on the label, about 1/3 of the label is soul. posting just to share since it seems complete:

GMC
10000 The Buffaloes - She wants me / You told me lies (66)
10001 The Gumdrop 2 - Getting over you / So I try
10002 The Islanders - Baby pack on / Where the lights are bright
10003 Miller Sisters - Please Don’t Say Goodbye / Your Love (67)
10004 Tony Kaye - Hey, hey, little orphan Annie / Dream world
10005 The Spoilers - Just Like A Shadow / Something About You (67)
10006 Miller Sisters - Until You Come Home I'll Walk Alone / I'm Telling It Like It Is
10007 Priscilla Page - Rockefeller Jones / Do I stand a chance with you
10008 Leo Price Orchestra - Stag-O-Lee / Hard times
10009 Frankie Grace and the Plastics - (Love) In the beginning / I can't stand it baby
10010 Freddie "Slim" Summerville - Wiggle tail / One for the road
10011 Tony Kaye - Oh pretty woman / Running out of time
10012 Doreen Rose - The Man I Love / I Want To Be Petted
10013 Miller Sisters - The Wedding Is Over / Your Gonna Lose A Good Thing (68)
10014 Johnny D - Strange love / Chain of love

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

did this to see what soul records were on the label, about 1/3 of the label is soul. posting just to share since it seems complete:

Know anything about the label at all, Bob? 

Got a copy of the brilliant Johnny D 45 about 25 years ago and wondered back then if the label might have some connection to the General Motors Corporation.

https://youtu.be/4JQ4qzm_4Dg

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Know anything about the label at all, Bob? 

Got a copy of the brilliant Johnny D 45 about 25 years ago and wondered back then if the label might have some connection to the General Motors Corporation.

https://youtu.be/4JQ4qzm_4Dg

I doubt that very much.  If General Motors started a record division, it would have had a much longer run and many more records issued, and many LPs issued.  It would have been more like RCA, Columbia, Decca, -or, at least, like a secondary sub-major label, like 20th Century Fox or Colpix.   A label owned by General Motors would have had a giant payroll and budget just to get started.  They would have gone at least 5 years, and had over 100 releases.  This 15 45RPM releases over a couple-year period seems more like a tiny independent like "Go Go Music".

Social source share

I doubt that very much.  If General Motors started a record division, it would have had a much longer run and many more records issued, and many LPs issued.  It would have been more like RCA, Columbia, Decca, -or, at least, like a secondary sub-major label, like 20th Century Fox or Colpix.   A label owned by General Motors would have had a giant payroll and budget just to get started.  They would have gone at least 5 years, and had over 100 releases.  This 15 45RPM releases over a couple-year period seems more like a tiny independent like "Go Go Music".

I agree entirely. It seemed like a nice thought though, that a company with a deep reliance on the Afro-American community might get involved in a sideline such as a record label. Running with the idea in my head, I also wondered - if it was run by General Motors - if the acts might have been plucked from the corporation's own productions lines and factory floors. As I say, a small flight of fancy at the time and one which quite appealed to me. 

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!