John Manship Auction Results 12-3-2014

8817_1sm.jpg8817_1sm.jpg8817_2sm.jpg
Contours Can You Jerk Like Me C/w That Day When She Needed Me

OK you British Tamla Motown nuts - yes you know who you are. You’re the guys who have spent a lifetime completing number runs, eternally upgrading in your quest for complete TMG purity.

Well, even the most OCD-vinyl afflicted obsessive amongst you may not own a copy of this 1964 UK non-hit, in flawless conditiob, still cocooned in it’s original birth-sleeve.

Labels are unblemished - vinyl only reveals the merest paper contact blemish in strong light - after spending 50 years sitting in it’s serial numbered Stateside bag.

The insane about condition - this will make you feel normal for a dddd-day or two..

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 171.00

8815_1sm.jpg8815_1sm.jpg8815_2sm.jpg
Gallahads I've Got To Find A Way C/w Once I Had Love

One insanely hard record to find - one that is yet to fully have it’s day - personally I only know of Rugby DJ Phil Shields championing it at the moment - but perhaps one of the very few NS Jock to own a copy.

Full-throttle California vocal-group Northern Soul with all those ingredients that make a Northern Soul rarity stand-out and special. An aggressive horn presence, runs head-on into wild-mix of vocal pitches as it squeals it’s way from one peak to another - blaring trumpets summon up even harder working voices that never strain or falter as they deliver PROPER NORTHERN SOUL.

The flipside is considered a fine vocal-group “Doo-wop” trophy and that side (only) was bootlegged, triggered by it’s rarity and demand. But listening to it now after many years - I consider this side too strong Northern Soul but down a pace to a creamy NS Stroller dripping with quality.

Two great sides that surely someone besides “The Irish” can recognize it’s potential as a 4 figure monster.  

The winning bid was £ 616.00

8805_1sm.jpg8805_1sm.jpg8805_2sm.jpg
Fabulous Play Mates Don't Turn Your Back (on Loving) C/w I Ain'r Gonna Be No Fool (for You)

It’s that Bay Area genius Harold Andrews, who yet again delivers stand-out Soul. As he captures the rich “Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose” type of atmosphere with this cultured mid-tempo dance-groove. Shimmering with beautifully arranged vocal gliding on a wave of strings and horns.

Fully 20 years earlier he created “The Inticers” double-masterpiece on Baby Luv! in-between he pleasured the rare-soul fan with all his fabulous material on “Balance” all for little or no reward; except for huge adulation from those Europeans who are forever digging below the surface for their choice of Soul Music.

This 45, as one “Soul Essence” regular told me “just my favourite tune of all time” funny how Harold’s work consistently sparks off nothing but favourable comment.

This one one of his most-elusive works and it’s drenched in class!!!

The winning bid was £ 664.00

8809_1sm.jpg8809_1sm.jpg8809_2sm.jpg
Willie Parker I've Got To Fight It C/w Let's Start A Thing Now

Here’s is another example of bemusing rarity as every other release, of the 5 Willie Parker had for this notable Chicago label is not so hard to acquire.

The blaring horns exploding on the very first note, does not deter Willie Parker in the slightest as his growling vocal rises up to perfectly marry into Eddie Silvers & Maurice Simpkins torrid session.

It is an almighty slab of Northern Soul tat has been perched and ready to go for decades - occasionally getting the turntable time it obviously deserves, only to again fall into the swamp of the under-played.

For those who adore the dance-floor-destroyers, the relentless ear-drum shatterers that defy rhythm or reason as to why they are not in 2014 considered timeless NS classic.

If as time marches on you prefer your footwork a tad slower - get a load of the flipside - an equally impressive Northern Soul production.

This copy is astonishingly PERFECT in ever way.

The winning bid was £ 187.00

8816_1sm.jpg8816_1sm.jpg8816_2sm.jpg8816_3sm.jpg
Shirley Lawson One More Chance C/w The Star
  • the WITHDRAWN Soul City #108 due to legal issues with the UK’s “Back Beat Records” official licensee “ISLAND RECORDS

This copy is so untouched and perfect you can still see the paper-flakes hangin’ on the inside of the “dinked” 4 prong center. I’m flabbergasted this 45 is 46 years old and looks like Dave Godin has just handed it over he Soul City Shop counter to you.

Well it did come from the “Wheeler’s” collection which he last handled in 1971.. little wonder this offering is in blinding condition

As for the music the 45 gives up, click the soundfile to reveal exactly why this is Soul City’s most-wanted, most valuable release - gaze upon the scan - enlarge to witness those paper flakes - just amazing!

resist if you can….

• thank to Dave Kilworth for Soul City documentation (scan provided) this item is for provenance ONLY - and does NOT come with the record.

The winning bid was £ 412.00

Social source share

8808_1sm.jpg8808_1sm.jpg8808_2sm.jpg
Sammy Ambrose Welcome To Dreamsville C/w Monkey See-monkey Do

Strange thing is perceived rarity of a 45 - you would think on this well distributed New York label - nothing could be that elusive. You’s be wrong - there are many inexplicably rare 45s on this label.

Our data suggests to locate a PROMO copy is fine clean condition is no easy task. Two perfect labels and vinyl flawless vinyl to match..

This example was an 100 Club anthem during the late 80’s early 90s… just a perfect Big City production that the club has always embraced, becoming known for championing this style of Northern Soul.; and for this style theer are few better examples..

Love it!!

The winning bid was £ 279.00

8814_1sm.jpg8814_1sm.jpg8814_2sm.jpg
Tams Hey Girl Don't Bother Me C/w Take Away

A legendary Twisted Wheel Monster that throughout the 60s enjoyed mythical status, until Probe UK re-issued it in 1971 for it to become Britain’s first Northern Soul hit - and only No. 1 in September of that year.

But before you today is the original 1964 British press, still sitting in it’s serial numbered birth-sleeve. One owner only, acquire from a collector who stopped buying records in 1972; after cleaning out his local electrical shop of every record he heard at the Twisted Wheel on a Saturday, he was there on the Monday to cash in of the shop’s policy of buying 1 copy of everything on the release sheet.

What a story, what a disc and what exceptional condition!

Doubt you’ll ever touch a finer copy.

The winning bid was £ 187.00

8804_1sm.jpg8804_1sm.jpg8804_2sm.jpg
Jean Plum You Ask Me C/w Pour On The Loving

for those 70s soul aficionados who delve deep and beyond the obvious, will be nodding as we pitch this as a near impossible STOCK copy with two sides drench is sexy-soul.

But why do tunnel-vision Northern Soul collectors think they are the be-all-and-end-all of rare soul collecting? Yes we know the lead side “Pour On The Loving” is a sublime Sister dancer - but that you can acquire as the double-sided promo for reasonable prices.

The “sale-pitch” for this STOCK copy is because the awesome ballad “You Ask Me” has been a long standing Japanese / New York Jamaican scene want for as long as I can remember and one click of the soundfile will unveil why.

This Hi choice of flipside is Sister Deep Soul as sweet as you could ever wish to hear. Ideal in every way for even the high-bar that Soul Essence “Deep Soul Lounge” has set for over 20 years.

Please Northern Soul fans, understand there is a world of soul collectors out there that crave real-soul that stirs the emotions, awakens your senses and spikes your imagination…and we like to offer then the chance to own records like this.

The hard to find USA “Just Ask Me” does all those things and more..ticking all the Deep Soul boxes + the condition is perfect..

The winning bid was £ 161.00

8806_1sm.jpg8806_1sm.jpg8806_2sm.jpg
Herb Johnson I'm So Glad C/w Where Are You

This Philly Northern Soul oldie is causing a turntable stir again after 40 years of languishing in old-school collectors bedrooms.

This TORCH classic is coming back with a bang, upbeat frantic acrobat inducing stomper!

Looking so beautiful with two flawless labels, shining through it’s original birth-sleeve and vinyl that defies all the laws of being nearly 50 years old…

The winning bid was £ 122.00

8813_1sm.jpg8813_1sm.jpg8813_2sm.jpg
Technics Hey Girl Don't Leave Me C/w I Met Her On The First Of September

Delicious! absolutely classy Detroit vocal-group Northern Soul that after a small cult-appreciation it is now blossoming and becoming VERY In-Demand. After seeing it on numerous wants lists recently we dug deep and found a copy.

Listen and enjoy one the very few Detroit proper Northern Soul 45 that has yet to hit the heights..

The winning bid was £ 358.00

Social source share

8810_1sm.jpg8810_1sm.jpg8810_2sm.jpg
Majestics Key To Love (is Understanding) C/w Class "a"

Decidedly mellow Sweet Soul from the streets of Milwaukee, a subtle 1982 production opens with a gentle caress of the keyboard and a gentle brush of the cymbals opens the doors for a lofty soulful lead vocal to soar overhead.

Then the essential falsetto pitch cracks the atmosphere, eerily breaking though, burnishing this already exquisite production.

Simple is genius - when you have vocals of this calibre a sparse backing tracks accentuates the recording - truly beautiful.

Flip over for 80’s “Sugarhill Gang” style street-funk dancer - very early old-school Hip-Hop rap that also carries value in it’s only right.

Rare in the Extreme..

The winning bid was £ 103.00

8820_1sm.jpg8820_1sm.jpg8820_2sm.jpg8820_3sm.jpg8820_4sm.jpg
R & B Scene February 1965 Volume 1 Edition 5

Roger Eagle’s mid-60s groundbreaking magazine promoting the “Twisted Wheel” and the “Northern Soul & R&BScene” of Manchester and beyond

Bio’s and pictures of Slim Harpo, Elmore James, Coasters, Johnny Otis - Rod Stewart (Stuart) Jimmy Reed, Alexis Korner, Graham Bond Organization & The Spencer Davis Group.

Back cover advertises the forthcoming attractions to “The Wheel”. But the highlight for me is the window into the era opened by the center page adverts..which included USA California shop advertising 100,0000 45’s.

This series of Mags are insanely RARE and are a lasting testament to the Father Of Northern Soul Roger Eagle and his dedication that laid the foundation for what must be the world’s biggest underground music movement..

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL or should we say the beginnings of:

The winning bid was £ 64.00

8812_1sm.jpg8812_1sm.jpg8812_2sm.jpg
Jackie Day Naughty Boy C/w I Want Your Love

In short the greatest most-powerful girl vocal Northern Soul record ever made, with a sax break that I’ve yet to hear better, with an unsurpassed dance arrangement that demands the floor to be destroyed!

It don’t get no better than this!

and neither does the condition..

From the same collection as The Servicemen this monster too ..

is MINT UNPLAYED

The winning bid was £ 865.00

8819_1sm.jpg8819_1sm.jpg8819_2sm.jpg
Johnny King & The Fatback Band Keep On Brother Keep On C/w Peace, Love Not War

A double-helping of rare Deep Funk from Bill Curtis’s embryonic band who took the world’s dance-clubs by in the 70s.

This is prior to their “Perception” years this is a very rare Queens area New York recording spewing out two fabulously angry FUNKERS. All the Fatback’s are there on this session Bill Curtis on production, Johnny King on Bass guitar banging out the rhythm, Jerry Thomas on Keyboards and Bill Curtis smashing drums.

Both sides pump it up long and hard with scorching horns, James Brown inspired lead vocal and droning saxophone gluing the bridges together. POTENT stuff real-deal Deep Funk.

The flip is marginally more subtle and will be embraced by the wider thinking Northern Soul punter..a mid-tempo dance groove rippling with the same ingredients but just a little less violent!

Condition is impeccable.

The winning bid was £ 473.00

8811_1sm.jpg8811_1sm.jpg8811_2sm.jpg
Christine Kittrell I Ain't Nothing But A Fool C/w Sittin' Here Drinking

This weeks rare R&B offering comes from one sassy Tennessee Lady dripping with attitude.

Better known to the Northern Soul R&B fans for her later work on Vee Jay, Federal & King but the birth of her record releasing career began in 1951 with her records for “Tennessee” label being now extremely sought after.

This 45 crosses a few collecting boundaries with the Fats Domino band backing her on the session, the upbeat side will delight the Northern Soul sector that embraces the down n’ dirty, murky 50s’s Dance tunes especially when the filthy sax interruption kick in, a particularly inspired intrusion. Written by a young Ted Jarratt who went on to lead Nashville’s march into local soul recordings.

The flipside is considered a street-level “Lady Blues” work of art… a moody journey piano supported testament to late night club-life and t’s occasional despair..a blending of Jazz & Blues that encapsulates the era, the atmosphere of a bar-fly evening, again a killer sax break adds to the quality.

No need to remind you her “TENNESSEE” label recording are now full 62 years old and still make you shiver..

The winning bid was £ 73.00

Social source share

That price for Shirley Lawson is a joke, if it was withdrawn then they carried on selling afterwards because there are hundreds of copies around, that's three times what it's worth in my opinion. The Contours, any reasonable person would pay maybe £50. Still what do I know about British..

Agree about Shirley Lawson, I've had 2 and sold one on here for £120 & one on eBay for £140, wish I could get his prices, btw Pete what's the rarest back beat or soul city...phil

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That price for Shirley Lawson is a joke, if it was withdrawn then they carried on selling afterwards because there are hundreds of copies around, that's three times what it's worth in my opinion.  The Contours, any reasonable person would pay maybe £50.  Still what do I know about British..

You know plenty about British Pete, it's the buyers you don't understand. That includes me too. Having said that, do these prices help increase the value of my collection? Perhaps just a little.  :g:

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Whatever you think about Soul City releases, Dave Godin and its history in the "scene".  Over £400 is a lot for what's technically a bootleg, is it the fact its on Soul City that makes this more desireable that other bootlegs pressed at the time?

I don't know why the price suddenly shot up.  6 or 7 years ago I was regularly selling this for £40, £50.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Whatever you think about Soul City releases, Dave Godin and its history in the "scene".  Over £400 is a lot for what's technically a bootleg, is it the fact its on Soul City that makes this more desireable that other bootlegs pressed at the time?

Hear, hear.

Just been reading Mr Manships latest offerings. My God, he's so far out of what's been going on on the nighter scene since Cleethorpes pier it's laughable. Read his sales patter for the Jackie Beavers. He's just discovered the best side, after it's been a monster play for 30 years.  :lol:

Social source share

Hear, hear.

Just been reading Mr Manships latest offerings. My God, he's so far out of what's been going on on the nighter scene since Cleethorpes pier it's laughable. Read his sales patter for the Jackie Beavers. He's just discovered the best side, after it's been a monster play for 30 years.  :lol:

Where does he say he's just discovered the best side? 

Social source share

Hear, hear.

Where does he say he's just discovered the best side? 

I don't see what the issue is here Phil to be honest and I agree with Chalky.

Why is this "laughable" anyway?. You can't seriously be suggesting that John Manship has only just discovered this side.

I actually think it's a very good pitch for the record given that "Love That Never Grows Old" has, in my view, rather lived in the shadow of "I Need My Baby" (and maybe Steve Mancha's "Friday Night" too). I played "Love That Never Grows Old" out at a big event with a predominantly oldies crowd last year and it more or less cleared the dancefloor floor!  :ohmy:

Seeing as John auctioned a copy of this just a few months ago I reckon it's a good angle to refresh the sales patter and lead with the other side. Makes prefect sense - but then it is my favourite side :yes:

John's audience for his auctions must run into the tens of thousands I guess, and is an international audience cutting across many collecting types/scenes. The item descriptions aren't all aimed at the traditional Northern soul crowd who "know everything" about every record ever released that fits into the "Northern Soul" genre.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The item descriptions aren't all aimed at the traditional Northern soul crowd who "know everything" about every record ever released that fits into the "Northern Soul" genre.

Cheers

Richard

I think we get that from seeing the crazy prices these people pay for records they could find elsewhere for half what they bid!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why is this "laughable" anyway?. You can't seriously be suggesting that John Manship has only just discovered this side.

I actually think it's a very good pitch for the record given that "Love That Never Grows Old" has, in my view, rather lived in the shadow of "I Need My Baby" (and maybe Steve Mancha's "Friday Night" too). I played "Love That Never Grows Old" out at a big event with a predominantly oldies crowd last year and it more or less cleared the dancefloor floor!  :ohmy:

Seeing as John auctioned a copy of this just a few months ago I reckon it's a good angle to refresh the sales patter and lead with the other side. Makes prefect sense - but then it is my favourite side :yes:

John's audience for his auctions must run into the tens of thousands I guess, and is an international audience cutting across many collecting types/scenes. The item descriptions aren't all aimed at the traditional Northern soul crowd who "know everything" about every record ever released that fits into the "Northern Soul" genre.

Cheers

Richard

And also - I love reading John's descriptions, they should all be collected in a book.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers

Richard

As Phil promotes Tim's auction and list he may have an ulterior motive with his comments?  John has probably forgotten more than most of us know.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As Phil promotes Tim's auction and list he may have an ulterior motive with his comments?  John has probably forgotten more than most of us know.

He's never come across as particularly biased to me - though I wish he wouldn't lock the sales and auction lists :-)

Social source share

He's never come across as particularly biased to me - though I wish he wouldn't lock the sales and auction lists :-)

Apart from in post #22 above  :wicked:

I wouldn't mind seeing a good debate about the other 'big' auctions - but nobody seems to bother to comment much on those (although I did see something recently about PB's auction - but it's rare to see anything).

The key thing that John's auctions have compared to the others is a high level of transparency.

I think I'm correct in saying that John's is the only one of the big auctions when you can easily see all of the necessary information including how many people have bid, what their bids were and what the finishing price was - plus it uses proxy bidding as standard so you only pay an increment above the last highest bid rather than what your potential maximum bid would have been. Some of the other auctions seem to be based on blind bidding  :ohmy:

Anyway, one thing we would probably all agree on is that threads like this are probably a great advert for Mr Manship's auctions.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

He hasn't too me either Pete but I just found his comments a bit puzzling?  I don't see where JM has said he had just discovered the other side of the 45 and to insinuate he doesn't know the nighter scene since Cleethorpes is ridiculous. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I love these Auction prices being put up, it does at least give some perspective of the prices some will pay for these 45s, though whether they are actually a true reflection or just 2 loons bidding each other up is obviously open to debate. I was really surprised by the Jean Plum 45 here, great Soul obviously,to anyone not blinkered by tempo but I was shocked to say the least. My last spare went to a good mate and a good home so all good there then,unfortunately for me though, for a fraction of the price ! I sold the Fabulous Playmates 45 probably 8-10 years back for £100. Bought from John Anderson as a new release as I suspect every copy that comes up for sale does,I would imagine that he probably took the whole stock of that particular title. Ive always thought it was nice enough but nothing special musically,[obviously, otherwise I would never have sold it !],in my view,its increasing rarity moving the goalposts for the rare soul collector.

Interesting stuff and thanks for posting these auction prices up. Keep on doin !

Social source share

I love these Auction prices being put up, it does at least give some perspective of the prices some will pay for these 45s, though whether they are actually a true reflection or just 2 loons bidding each other up is obviously open to debate. I was really surprised by the Jean Plum 45 here, great Soul obviously,to anyone not blinkered by tempo but I was shocked to say the least. My last spare went to a good mate and a good home so all good there then,unfortunately for me though, for a fraction of the price ! I sold the Fabulous Playmates 45 probably 8-10 years back for £100. Bought from John Anderson as a new release as I suspect every copy that comes up for sale does,I would imagine that he probably took the whole stock of that particular title. Ive always thought it was nice enough but nothing special musically,[obviously, otherwise I would never have sold it !],in my view,its increasing rarity moving the goalposts for the rare soul collector.

Interesting stuff and thanks for posting these auction prices up. Keep on doin !

I got the fabulous playmates from Barry Wickham which probably did not filter through anderson. I got another copy from some other source i can't remember...

Social source share

Apart from in post #22 above  :wicked:

I wouldn't mind seeing a good debate about the other 'big' auctions - but nobody seems to bother to comment much on those (although I did see something recently about PB's auction - but it's rare to see anything).

The key thing that John's auctions have compared to the others is a high level of transparency.

I think I'm correct in saying that John's is the only one of the big auctions when you can easily see all of the necessary information including how many people have bid, what their bids were and what the finishing price was - plus it uses proxy bidding as standard so you only pay an increment above the last highest bid rather than what your potential maximum bid would have been. Some of the other auctions seem to be based on blind bidding  :ohmy:

Anyway, one thing we would probably all agree on is that threads like this are probably a great advert for Mr Manship's auctions.

Cheers

Richard

All I have to say about auctions is that, from the experience of running three in the last two weeks, two of them on extremely rare records, I don't think it's right that bidding should continue ad infinitum until someone drops out.  I told people I would end the auction at 8 0 clock last night - I ended it at 8 0 clock and the one in the lead won it, despite a later, higher bid coming in.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

All I have to say about auctions is that, from the experience of running three in the last two weeks, two of them on extremely rare records, I don't think it's right that bidding should continue ad infinitum until someone drops out.  I told people I would end the auction at 8 0 clock last night - I ended it at 8 0 clock and the one in the lead won it, despite a later, higher bid coming in.

It's a tricky one that Pete. I agree that a higher bid coming after the close of the auction should be rejected.

However, having two or more people bidding against each other in real time is how most auctions happen around the world. The bidders fight it out until one person wins. Happens in Christie's auctions, your local antiques auction house etc.

There are two different models here I guess - 1) the highest bid at close wins and 2) they fight it our until there's a winner.

The auctions I am wary of is when you don't know how many people you are bidding against or what they actually bid, and that do not obviously have bidding by set increments but are done on trust. With a close time on an auction like that you could go in with your best bid which is unknowingly £200 over the last person, win it, but have to pay £200 more that you needed to compared to if it was an open bidding set up or a clear bid increment set up.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It's a tricky one that Pete. I agree that a higher bid coming after the close of the auction should be rejected.

However, having two or more people bidding against each other in real time is how most auctions happen around the world. The bidders fight it out until one person wins. Happens in Christie's auctions, your local antiques auction house etc.

There are two different models here I guess - 1) the highest bid at close wins and 2) the fight it our until there's a winner.

The auctions I am wary of is when you don't know how many people you are bidding against or what they actually bid, and that do not obviously have bidding by set increments but are done on trust. With a close time on an auction like that you could go in with your best bid which is unknowingly £200 over the last person, win it, but have to pay £200 more that you needed to compared to if it was an open bidding set up or a clear bid increment set up.

Cheers

Richard

I know, it's difficult.  On the last day of the Del Larks, I had no phone calls at all, and then about 6 starting at ten minutes before the end.  I was getting email bids, but I couldn't get to them because I was on the phone, I replied to an emailer at 7:57 to please ring his bid in, lo and behold I end it at 8pm and an email arrives at 8:01 with a bid higher than the one I closed it at.

This is why I hate auctions.  Except I have a Salvadors coming up soon, so same thing again..

Social source share

There are two different models here I guess - 1) the highest bid at close wins and 2) they fight it our until there's a winner.

Cheers

Richard

Actually I guess what you say is perfectly true - live auctions do only end one when one person stops bidding.

Social source share

I know, it's difficult.  On the last day of the Del Larks, I had no phone calls at all, and then about 6 starting at ten minutes before the end.  I was getting email bids, but I couldn't get to them because I was on the phone, I replied to an emailer at 7:57 to please ring his bid in, lo and behold I end it at 8pm and an email arrives at 8:01 with a bid higher than the one I closed it at.

This is why I hate auctions.  Except I have a Salvadors coming up soon, so same thing again..

Could you not get round that by insisting on written bids? That could include letter, email or text message? That allows use of both computers and phones.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

First of all I just thought when I read JM's description that it sounded like he was making a big deal out of the "love that never grows old" side. He doesn't have a clue what is popular on the rare nighter scene, except what he gets off Sam. I know that from speaking to him and by the stuff he puts up on the auction. I've rung him loads of times in the past to tell him that the flip side of one of his auction records is actually the side that people are chasing.

knowing about the artist, writers, producers etc etc. isn't the same as knowing a great record when you hear one.

The other thing is, I have nothing what so ever to do with Tim Browns auction except that he is a friend of mine and I post his list up for him as a personal favour. I have no financial arrangement or axes to grind, just my personal opinion.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

DAVE McCADDEN USED TO DO INFORMATIVE WRITE-UPS FOR RECORDS IN THE MAGS HE PUT OUT IN THE 90's,

AS GOOD AS MOST OF THE ONE'S I SEE NOWADAYS

Not the same though: Dave was just reviewing them on their qualities, John's got to try and sell them to us

Social source share

YOU'RE RIGHT I KNOW THAT PETE, J M IS AS GOOD AS MOST NOWADAYS IMO BUT THERE WASEN'T MUCH INTERNET BACK IN THOSE DAYS, IT WAS ALL LISTS AND AUCTIONS BY LETTER, DAVE  SAID IF IT WAS FAST OR SLOW SOME IDEA OF PRICE AND A SCAN OF THE LABLE., I REMEMBER HAVING TO RING UP ( EVEN RANG UP THE USA NOW AND AGAIN ) AND LISTEN TO BIT'S ON THE PHONE AND DECIDE WEATHER TO BUY OR NOT.I'M SURE  IT WAS MORE FUN BACK THEN EVEN IF I BOUGHT A FEW TURKEYS NOW AND THEN, POSTAGE FROM THE STATES WAS CHEAP WITH SURFACE MAIL, JOE

Social source share

First of all I just thought when I read JM's description that it sounded like he was making a big deal out of the "love that never grows old" side. He doesn't have a clue what is popular on the rare nighter scene, except what he gets off Sam. I know that from speaking to him and by the stuff he puts up on the auction. I've rung him loads of times in the past to tell him that the flip side of one of his auction records is actually the side that people are chasing.

knowing about the artist, writers, producers etc etc. isn't the same as knowing a great record when you hear one.

The other thing is, I have nothing what so ever to do with Tim Browns auction except that he is a friend of mine and I post his list up for him as a personal favour. I have no financial arrangement or axes to grind, just my personal opinion.

Come on Phil  :no:

Yes, John was making a big deal out of "Love That Never grows Old" for reasons I pointed out above - it's a fabulous record so why not?

He made a big thing out of "I Need My Baby" last time he auctioned a copy a few months ago - I'm sure this is quite intentional to market the record most effectively and in a fresh way on behalf of whoever he is auctioning it for.

How on earth can you say that John Manship "doesn't have a clue" what is popular on the rare niter scene blah, blah? You also seem to insinuate that John Manship doesn't "know a great record" when he hears it.

To be honest, I don't understand in detail why you are having a go at John, but it's pretty clear to me you are and I know there's a bit of background here which is no doubt driving what you're saying.

This is the kind of thing that unfortunately the moderators allow to go on here on Soulsource but is one of the reasons why so many people have left the site - in their droves in fact.

Think I might jump ship as well to be honest because I think this kind of unjustified slagging-off is just not cricket  :no:  :no:  :no:

Richard

Social source share

I don't agree Richard. People stop coming on here when all they read is how wonderful people are, all the events are packed and all the endless YouTube posts are brilliant.

A great number of the records on Mr Manship's auction are very poor indeed. A case of Emperors new cloths if you ask me. Nobody dare speak there mind on this scene for fear of upsetting someone. Too many sycophants, and too many who were once at the vanguard of the scene, but are now living on their past.

As for the Jackie Beavers 45. Probably the greatest double sider of all time. And this is supposed to be a public forum, so I am entitled to my opinion.

Yep, there you go again - Mr axe to grind

Shameful  :no:  :no:  :no:

Social source share

This is the kind of thing that unfortunately the moderators allow to go on here on Soulsource but is one of the reasons why so many people have left the site - in their droves in fact.

been said many times if you wish to post feedback etc on the actual site itself  then USE the support forum

as you know a mods has looked at your complaints and has informed you of his call

ask please read the terms of use 

clip...

Respect Moderator Decisions. 

Threads and/or posts commenting on moderating actions or decisions not in the "views/support" forum may be deleted

regards 
mike
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!