John Manship Auction Results 12-3-2014

I reckon John's auctions are the best on the planet. They are totally transparent and fail safe by offering an extended bidding phase that averts last minute problems. The supporting blurb might be a tad overhyped but is a joy to read and discuss - I've already said on SS, the sales' summaries should be put into a book. John has an unrivalled knowledge of the soul market as he is the first dealer to receive calls for in-demanders, sleepers, unknowns and rarities. Some of the prices his auction items fetch might appear ridiculously high to us voyeurs, but someone is evidently pleased to part with the funds so let them spend. There are also bargains to be had from John's offerings so it's always worth a long shot bidding on an unfashionable record. Gone are the days of sealed bids when you end up paying more than you should. eBay has its virtues but deductions make sellers and buyers feel fleeced. John sets the standard in a business in which other auctions such as those of Tim and Pat, are called into question. My only complaint is that he doesn't offer a free pie for every £100 spent...

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I reckon John's auctions are the best on the planet. They are totally transparent and fail safe by offering an extended bidding phase that averts last minute problems. The supporting blurb might be a tad overhyped but is a joy to read and discuss - I've already said on SS, the sales' summaries should be put into a book. John has an unrivalled knowledge of the soul market as he is the first dealer to receive calls for in-demanders, sleepers, unknowns and rarities. Some of the prices his auction items fetch might appear ridiculously high to us voyeurs, but someone is evidently pleased to part with the funds so let them spend. There are also bargains to be had from John's offerings so it's always worth a long shot bidding on an unfashionable record. Gone are the days of sealed bids when you end up paying more than you should. eBay has its virtues but deductions make sellers and buyers feel fleeced. John sets the standard in a business in which other auctions such as those of Tim and Pat, are called into question. My only complaint is that he doesn't offer a free pie for every £100 spent...

Yep, pity on the rest of us poor clueless wretches. We can only aspire to these great heights.

* I make this comment because I am not happy with the insinuation that anyone else running an auction is untrustworthy.  

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I've had a few bargains of JM auctions and if I had the cash would of bet on the Jackie Day which IMHO is a bargain considering what it normally sells for.  

If I was to sell anything rare or half decent or worth a few quid I would defo go to JM if I couldn't sell it meself as he obviously gets top prices most of the time and probably has the biggest mailing list in Rare Soul.   

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Have you lot seen this, should reignite the debate a bit. lol

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/8829/happy

Darren

Someone said the other week that JM will probably have a copy of that up for auction  :yes:  but that price just proves that there really is demented twats with no brains and far too much money out there somewhere  :ohmy:  retards frigging retards  :lol:

Social source share

I know, it's difficult.  On the last day of the Del Larks, I had no phone calls at all, and then about 6 starting at ten minutes before the end.  I was getting email bids, but I couldn't get to them because I was on the phone, I replied to an emailer at 7:57 to please ring his bid in, lo and behold I end it at 8pm and an email arrives at 8:01 with a bid higher than the one I closed it at.

This is why I hate auctions.  Except I have a Salvadors coming up soon, so same thing again..

Pete,if you have a Salvadors coming up,could i suggest you lock the thread after your initial opening post.? Would save you a lot of grief.Only post when you have a Bid Update.? 

Social source share

Yep, pity on the rest of us poor clueless wretches. We can only aspire to these great heights.

* I make this comment because I am not happy with the insinuation that anyone else running an auction is untrustworthy.  

Hi Pete. The comment simply implied there were other auctions open to criticism. There was no allegation that every auctioneer was untrustworthy. Even apparently trustworthy auctions can be called into question or open to debate as this thread and another one earlier in the week testifies.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John sets the standard in a business in which other auctions such as those of Tim and Pat, are called into question.

I bid once on JM's auction. I won it with just the one bid of £400 for Sam Ward some years ago.

I got an email notification I'd won.

So first available opportunity I phoned to sort out payment.

I was told record was lost or misplaced. Took a few, often irate, phone calls to sort out and after a week it turned up and I was able to pay.

Though it ended well for me I was not impressed and didn't bother again.

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't think your allowed to have an opinion,

on here Phil.

unless you agree with everything of course.  :thumbsup:

Steve.

i' would say a very small amount of members think that way Steve

am sure the majority of members all get what the place is all about   :thumbsup:

cheers

mike

Social source share

John sets the standard in a business in which other auctions such as those of Tim and Pat, are called into question.

I bid once on JM's auction. I won it with just the one bid of £400 for Sam Ward some years ago.

I got an email notification I'd won.

So first available opportunity I phoned to sort out payment.

I was told record was lost or misplaced. Took a few, often irate, phone calls to sort out and after a week it turned up and I was able to pay.

Though it ended well for me I was not impressed and didn't bother again.

ROD

Hi Rod. Incidents like this should not occur within a well run business. I can understand why you would refrain from bidding in subsequent auctions. If it helps you to reach closure on this matter, I'd be pleased to take Sam Ward off you for £400...

Social source share

modernsoulsucks, on 16 Mar 2014 - 7:54 PM, said:

ROD

Evening Rod

You occasionally and quite rightly moderate some of my posts - mainly in freebasing, usually with a voice of reason. On this occasion I hope you don't mind me pointing out the "I once bid" bit of your post. I suspect in any business that there will always be a mistake or a problem - one swallow does not a summer make though does it?

I don't know Johnny Manship that well - however, I've always received a first class service when buying from him and I've always found him pleasant on the odd occasion that I've spoken to him.

Cheers

Peter

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Had a lot of records off John when collecting including high ticket ones, whether by auction or set sale I was always satisfied , and recouped all my money and some when I sold them on...

Social source share

Peter, I was just replying to setting the standard comment.

For me the standard was poor hence no second bid.

That's as a buyer.

As someone who ran a record business involving going to US for stock, selling 45s at clubs,record fairs, at the stall and by mail order seems rather disorganised if the claim is that JM is superior in any way to other dealers.

You may care to look at my fb on here.

ROD

Social source share

modernsoulsucks, on 16 Mar 2014 - 9:45 PM, said:modernsoulsucks, on 16 Mar 2014 - 9:45 PM, said:

Peter, I was just replying to setting the standard comment.

For me the standard was poor hence no second bid.

That's as a buyer.

As someone who ran a record business involving going to US for stock, selling 45s at clubs, at the stall and by mail order seems rather disorganised if the claim is that JM is superior in any way to other dealers.

You may care to look at my fb on here.

ROD

Not sure that I've ever questioned your feedback as a buyer have I? Is that a bit of swerve ball there mate? Anyway, I've said my bit - I certainly don't wish to fall out with you or anyone else. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that I've bought bits from you in the past - way before SS or FB existed. Had no problem then and I sure ain't got one now.

All the best Rod.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

modernsoulsucks, on 16 Mar 2014 - 9:59 PM, said:

I'm not falling out.

It is annoying, like Pete S mentioned earlier, that somehow the service offered by other good dealers is not seen as equal to JM standard.

The fb is for selling.

ROD

Yep meant to say seller - my mistake.

Anyway, I'm off to watch Justified and to finish my Rioja.

:D

Social source share

Pete. Ended up going for £62 which I don't think is a bad price.   Steve

About right or even a tad high I would've thought Steve, but yea going off recent sales who knows? My 'no bids' comment was in relation to the recent 3 figure valuations,

I'll put mine back then :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!