Is This Who It Says It Is?

Pete S

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

mcdaniels wrote "compared to what" but mcann/harris had a hit with the song as vietnam protest song. roberta flack had some play off of it too and it's since evolved into a lame vocal jazz standard. i'm not sure what the northern soul reference point is for mcdaniels but he's known amongst soul/funk LP collectors for his spiritual / political LP "headless heroes of the apocalypse". 

Social source share

At the risk of starting the whole 'Wigan footage' thing again, where does the film above come from (assuming it is Wigan?) - This England outtakes? Looks less grainy than that footage and don't remember seeing it before

It's Wigan but it's not This England.

Social source share

Mainly "Walk With A Winner" on Liberty:

There's a version of "There Goes The Forgotten Man" on UK Liberty.  I've seen it. Once. It was in the collection of Paul Walker from Penn, Wolverhampton. Nobody else has ever seen a copy apparently and there are no scans of it anywhere.  It's listed in all UK Liberty listings and GM discographies though.

Social source share

i'm not sure what the northern soul reference point is for mcdaniels but he's known amongst soul/funk LP collectors for his spiritual / political LP "headless heroes of the apocalypse". 

'Point of no return' was on early Kent LP 'On the soul side', with his photo on the sleeve I think

Poor track though IMO

Social source share

'Point of no return' was on early Kent LP 'On the soul side', with his photo on the sleeve I think

Poor track though IMO

"Point of No Return" was a massive US 45 pop & soul chart hit for Gene back in 1962 (made the Top 30 of both charts). The track was also released on 45 in numerous countries; UK, NZ, Aussie, Canada, etc.

Gene's version was a UK beat / mod club hit and was so popular that Georgie Fame did it in his live act (for years) and also recorded a version that became a massive mod tune .....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Point of No Return" was a massive US 45 pop & soul chart hit for Gene back in 1962 (made the Top 30 of both charts). The track was also released on 45 in numerous countries; UK, NZ, Aussie, Canada, etc.

Gene's version was a UK beat / mod club hit and was so popular that Georgie Fame did it in his live act (for years) and also recorded a version that became a massive mod tune .....

Good info, thanks - like the GF version better, GM too wooden for me

Social source share

At the risk of starting the whole 'Wigan footage' thing again, where does the film above come from (assuming it is Wigan?) - This England outtakes? Looks less grainy than that footage and don't remember seeing it before

They used to have a midweek night for the locals and kids. I think they did some shooting for "This England" and spliced it in with the footage of the actual nighter. Seem to remember some shots not from the nighter in the footage. They could do anything they wanted with Mike Walker up their arse.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!