Am I Just Cranky? Does This Seem Uncool?

people have been doing this for decades. it's for obsessive collectors who want to match up sleeves to their collection. nobody is gonna pay more than a few cents for a common sleeve like spring. also the obsessive collector thing is sort of silly (I still would understand doing it knowing this) because when the records were released a lot of the records were put in whatever sleeve was available at the time, e.g. could have been a plain sleeve, could have been one from a different era, etc.

Social source share

There's been several 'fake' company sleeves made for the old timers collector market (mostly for 50s R&B and rockabilly). I know a guy who does this and he enjoys it.

I've seen some relatively familiar sleeves sell for  >$10. Depends on who's looking.

mid 1960s Columbia promos came in a plain heavy green sleeve, BTW.

I've bought crap records in pristine sleeves for the sleeve.... :ohmy:

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There's been several 'fake' company sleeves made for the old timers collector market (mostly for 50s R&B and rockabilly). I know a guy who does this and he enjoys it.

I've seen some relatively familiar sleeves sell for  >$10. Depends on who's looking.

mid 1960s Columbia promos came in a plain heavy green sleeve, BTW.

I've bought crap records in pristine sleeves for the sleeve.... :ohmy:

Yep, bought a Slim Whitman 45 for the Imperial sleeve for my Danny Wagner 

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Sorry - slightly OT - but in the past I have bought an empty box and an empty paint tin off ebay.

There's a market for just about everything in the world if you can only match the seller and the buyer.

Social source share

I've just bought a Kim Tolliver - I caught you, whilst it was a very attractive red issue (GAR), I really bought it for the GAR sleeve, would have happily just paid for the sleeve, although got both for $10.50. I'm obsessive and sort of silly, but I love it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We (online bookstore) often get queries from customers who just want to buy the dustjacket, and they're not fussed about the book, so it clearly does go on everywhere!

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I'm sorry if this is a soul-source member, but this seems kinda lame to me.

...selling the companies sleeves separate from the record?      come on bro!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/theworldofcitrine/m.html?item=151243621681&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

who wouldn't want to buy the original sleeve for their original record if they could it up for a few cents, no brainer if you ask me

Social source share

Eleven dollars is not a few cents, in anyone's money.

But hey, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

If you don't like it, don't bid.

I've got frigging hundreds of these.

If ever I need a few bob............ :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!