Help With Some Invictus Copies

Go to solution Solved by Steve G,

Could any of the good patrons of S.S. possibly help me out here? I'm missing three records for reference purposes to finalize the forthcoming "Holland-Dozier-Holland: The Complete 45's Collection".

One of 'em is on a couple of CD comps, so would anyone out there happen to have either of the following CD's?

"Cherish What Is Dear To You - Invictus Unconquered Vol 2" o"The Invictus Soul Box Set"?

If so, could someone possibly send me a WAV file of "I Don't See Me In Your Eyes Anymore" by Ty Hunter please?

I'm also still searching out 2 Invictus singles:-

9101 Johnn Billy West Nothing But A Devil 3.25 1971
9101 Johnn Billy West Yeah, I'm A Devil 4.19 1971

and 

1275 Earl English Wanting You (Vocal) 3.05 1974
1275 Earl English Wanting You (Instrumental) 2.45 1974

If anyone can help with any of the above I'll happily zap some Harmless goodies over....

Many thanks in advance.

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I'm also still searching out 2 Invictus singles:-

9101 Johnn Billy West Nothing But A Devil 3.25 1971

9101 Johnn Billy West Yeah, I'm A Devil 4.19 1971

and 

1275 Earl English Wanting You (Vocal) 3.05 1974

1275 Earl English Wanting You (Instrumental) 2.45 1974

I can provide scans and soundfiles if that's enough. I'm in Norway so not very tempted to lend them to you.

Social source share

I can provide scans and soundfiles if that's enough. I'm in Norway so not very tempted to lend them to you.

Well my mastering facility is in Holland so I'm meeting you halfway Lars.... :lol:

Well, if you could do WAV files of the Johnn Billy West tracks and the Earl English instrumental I'd be very grateful. I think I've sourced copies but whether they'll arrive in time is another question. I've managed to source everything else including 25+ unreleased tracks, so these are the last pieces of the jigsaw hopefully.

So yes please!

Best,

Ian D :D

Social source share

Do you want me to have a look for it?

I think Tim's got one but I'll know today for sure so I'll let you know.

What would be handy is if you have any unreleased stuff that I haven't been able to source yet. I'll send a list of where we are to date and what we're looking to include.

Also another thing. I've noticed that it's extremely difficult to tell which is the A and which is the B side on some of these releases, so an objective eye over the listing would be handy too. Worth a credit and a free box set. How does that sound?

Ian D :)

Social source share

Well my mastering facility is in Holland so I'm meeting you halfway Lars.... :lol:

Well, if you could do WAV files of the Johnn Billy West tracks and the Earl English instrumental I'd be very grateful. I think I've sourced copies but whether they'll arrive in time is another question. I've managed to source everything else including 25+ unreleased tracks, so these are the last pieces of the jigsaw hopefully.

So yes please!

Best,

Just around the corner then... :D

I've sent two Wav files but your inbox refused the third one. Probably too big (44,5 MB).

Social source share

Also another thing. I've noticed that it's extremely difficult to tell which is the A and which is the B side on some of these releases, so an objective eye over the listing would be handy too.

I could take a look if you want.

Social source share

Just around the corner then... :D

I've sent two Wav files but your inbox refused the third one. Probably too big (44,5 MB).

Bugger. Do you use Dropbox or can you zip it?

And, yes, if you PM me your e-mail I'll run the track listing and sequencing by you. These labels were terrible at repeating sides but I think I've cracked it touch wood.....

Social source share

So everything was pretty much put to bed on this and I mentioned to Tom Moulton what a pain in the ass this project had been and he said, "did you not hear my mixes of the Chairmen Of The Board's "Give Me Just A Little More Time", "You've Got Me Dangling On A String" and Freda Payne's "Unhooked Generation" vocals and instrumentals?

Err, no Tom.

This is what is so exciting about this gig. Always stuff coming out of the woodwork. Where did he get the multi-tracks from?

So now I have to fit these in too.........

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That looks exhaustive Ian.

It's one of those things that we have to get right Steve.

If we don't do it properly now, then there's a good chance it'll never get done properly ever again. I think this was really the last chance to compile every single release, both A and B sides, that the HDH labels ever released. Luckily all three of this legendary song-writing team are still with us and very much aware of this project.

Eddie Holland has kindly agreed to do some PR and I'm confident that we can also tempt Lamont Dozier back into the spotlight.

It's early days but the signs are good. 'Motown: The Musical' is opening at the Dominion Theatre later this year following "We Will Rock You" - the Queen musical which has run for the last 12 years. So I think there'll be a lot of interest in Holland-Dozier-Holland anyway, so it seemed like the right time to get this project launched (it's been on the agenda for a while).

HDH have expressed an interest in coming to the UK, specifically to do some 'workshops' where they can show people how they constructed their songs and then take part in a question and answer session. They recently did this at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland to a unanimously positive response. I think we'd blow their socks off over here.

Additionally, Freda and Scherrie Payne and Edna Wright from Honey Cone are up for coming over as well, so an all round Holland-Dozier-Holland/Freda Payne/Scherrie Payne and Edna Wright experience is potentially possible.

All very exciting. If it can work out as well as when Kenny Gamble came over for the Philadelphia International Box Set PR a couple of years back, then I'll be a happy bunny. The UK will give Eddie Holland, Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier a hero's welcome I'm sure. If I can get these guys over here to experience their most devoted fans in the twilight of their lives, then surely that will send me to heaven right? :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Where's Gods Gift To Man General Johnson or did I miss it?

I need some kind soul to send me a releasable version. I've raided several serious collections, but "God's Gift To Man" hasn't surfaced. I have exactly 5 days to resolve this, so if anyone out there can supply the acetate to master from, then they too will be heralded as a hero along with you Denbo! 

Social source share

Music Merchant 1017 B side Ian a version of Don't be…. be careful" the Laura Lee song?

Satisfaction Unlimited on Hot Wax made it to at least a test press.

It could be Steve. I'll check it out later today.

I would have included the Satisfaction Unlimited T.P. 45s if Moulton's undiscovered remixes hadn't have shunted 'em off. I figured that the S.U. tracks at least made it to a proper album release, so major fanatics would already have 'em. So they got bounced......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...This is what it's gonna look like...

Well done,

The HDH catalogues are timeless and it will be nice to have such a complete collection, even for those of us who already have most of the individual tracks on various 45s, LPs and CDs etc.

Many of the Invictus and Hot Wax things were red hot when I first got hooked on soul music as a school kid and they still sound fresh and vibrant so they always bring back a lot of great memories.

But those catalogues have always been even deeper and richer than many people realise so this will be a great opportunity for a lot of people to discover some absolute gems.

I don't know what the retail price will be but I've no doubt it will be a bargain.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Music Merchant 1017 B side Ian a version of Don't be…. be careful" the Laura Lee song?

Satisfaction Unlimited on Hot Wax made it to at least a test press.

Yep. I didn't include all the various TP's in the main listing as that would have made things even more complicated, so I tended to list them as unreleased and used them to fill up CDs 13 and 14.

Social source share

The flip side of Jones GIrls Taster of The Honey has been listed as I'll Catch You When You Fall - Laura Lee also recorded it.

Are any of these tracks on this cd set being taken from the original masters?  

The TP I got of the Jones Girls had "Taster Of The Honey" on the A and "Don't Be Sorry Be Careful" on the flip but as Steve said earlier, HDH were notorious for trying out different songs and different mixes on TPs...........

Social source share

Are any of these tracks on this cd set being taken from the original masters?  

I'd say that 95% of the project is all from the original masters. The biggest problem was finding masters for some of the 7" mixes, most of which have disappeared over time. The HDH master archive was unobtainable unfortunately (most of these master archives are for unfathomable reasons) but luckily I managed to locate most of the stuff in the UK. Some vinyl dubs have had to be done but these have been restored by my guys in Holland who are experts at restoration thank God!

Also we were extremely fortunate with some of the unreleased stuff in that the good Rob Moss had original files taken directly from the mixing desk from on of his Detroit visits, so that was a real bonus.

Social source share

Hi Ian,

did you go through all the test presses?

i lent mine to Phil to send to you for this.

There were 2x Jones Girls ~ I am not certain both are the same cut.

I do have cloth ears though.

Who was the Let the love grow by?

I did not think it was Brenda Holloway.

Also are the Satisfaction Unlimited's exactly same as the LP cuts?

Best regards

Steve

Best regards

Steve

Social source share

Hi Ian,

did you go through all the test presses?

i lent mine to Phil to send to you for this.

There were 2x Jones Girls ~ I am not certain both are the same cut.

I do have cloth ears though.

Who was the Let the love grow by?

I did not think it was Brenda Holloway.

Also are the Satisfaction Unlimited's exactly same as the LP cuts?

Best regards

Steve

Best regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

I borrowed five off Phil - 2 x Eloise Laws, 1 x Honey Cone, 1 x Satisfaction Unlimited and 1 x Jones Girls. If there's another Jones Girls then I'm not aware of it.......

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I need some kind soul to send me a releasable version. I've raided several serious collections, but "God's Gift To Man" hasn't surfaced. I have exactly 5 days to resolve this, so if anyone out there can supply the acetate to master from, then they too will be heralded as a hero along with you Denbo! 

Can you not make a sound file from the track off his Lp? Or is that not allowed? Or falls outside the rules of it having to be a 45 release, or unissued 45 release?

Just askin'

Dennis.

Social source share

Can you not make a sound file from the track off his Lp? Or is that not allowed? Or falls outside the rules of it having to be a 45 release, or unissued 45 release?

Just askin'

Dennis.

Has to be a 45 Den. Or unissued. Mind you, that "Generally Speaking" album hasn't been re-issued outside of Japan by the looks of it.......

Social source share

Has to be a 45 Den. Or unissued. Mind you, that "Generally Speaking" album hasn't been re-issued outside of Japan by the looks of it.......

Okay. I've been trying to find it on a 45, no matter what country, for some years now. I've even tried tracking down an acetate but with no luck. I have the UK release of the "Generally Speaking" so I can't complain.

Social source share

If access to UK masters is possible, why not include all the UK releases eg I'm On My Way To A Better Place, Come Back, Silent Boatman, and the 2 versions of Somebody's Been Sleeping on Hot Wax 102 and 108. 

Since the track listing is by reference to American catalogue number, will those be the American mixes and not the UK mixes? As I am sure you are aware, the US releases are often noticeably different from their UK counterpart - examples that instantly come to mind are Westbound no 9 (I have 2 different mixes and both are different to the UK 45) ; While You're Out Looking For Sugar and You Got Me Dangling On A String 

Social source share

If access to UK masters is possible, why not include all the UK releases eg I'm On My Way To A Better Place, Come Back, Silent Boatman, and the 2 versions of Somebody's Been Sleeping on Hot Wax 102 and 108. 

Since the track listing is by reference to American catalogue number, will those be the American mixes and not the UK mixes? As I am sure you are aware, the US releases are often noticeably different from their UK counterpart - examples that instantly come to mind are Westbound no 9 (I have 2 different mixes and both are different to the UK 45) ; While You're Out Looking For Sugar and You Got Me Dangling On A String 

Unfortunately we won't be able to get into that level of detail. The biggest problem these days is locating masters, since they're the last thing that many companies seem to be bothered about. Also the time dealing with different companies who may or may not have them in their vaults, the administration and the tape-baking and transfer costs would make it impractical on most levels I'm sad to say. We started off requesting all the 7" mixes from HDH and were told it was impossible as they were stuck in a dispute, so we've had to reassemble them as best we can from numerous sources.

Also, I can't believe how many different mixes these guys would lay down to acetates and test-pressings. A phenomenal amount compared to most companies. Some tracks we've gone through had 10 different mixes and those were just the ones we could find!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Okay. I've been trying to find it on a 45, no matter what country, for some years now. I've even tried tracking down an acetate but with no luck. I have the UK release of the "Generally Speaking" so I can't complain.

Well thanks Denbo. I've had enough of a nightmare with the singles that exist without worrying about album tracks thanks very much! :lol:

Social source share

Thank you for your response.  I can totally appreciate the nightmare that you have had to go through on this set.

Sequel tried to do a similar project years ago and failed.  More recently, Eddie Holland was approached about a similar project at the time Ace put out his CD compilation but that didn't happen either.  You've done much better than all earlier attempts. Well done.

Edited by theboyfromxtown
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!