Things In Records That Make You Shiver

Gilly

Are there parts in songs that make you shiver, it maybe a sax break a word phrasing,or even laughing.I will start with one of mine.Check out Nelson Sanders Im Lonley Rambler (its here on refosoul )  there is an organ comes in trying to sound like chellos it makes me shiver every time I hear it whats yours ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It's a bit mainstream I suppose but I really get the shiver thing from the piano part in Come To Me Softly - Jimmy James.

It swirls around in the background - arpeggios and runs and flourishes and heaven knows what else - and comes to the front of the mix just at the right moments.

The way it complements his voice is musical magic for me.

It's a tune I don't like to play too often just in case I ever get fed up with it :D

But hey ho, here goes

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

"Shove over a bit and make me some room...while I show you how to do it. Real singer in town!"' 

Singers with attitude. Especially the ladies. Love it! :D

From the pop end of the soul spectrum again - what about in the live performances of Proud Mary where Tina goes from the 5mph intro to the 100 mph main body of the song.

OMG! Wham! Bam! Tina is strutting, the Ikettes are boogying,  Ike is at the back looking like the coolest dude on the planet.

I put that in my top 10 musical performances of the last 50 years.

Shivers? All over!!

(Sorry I've got edit this in. There's a cheeky smile at 1.55 that says "Tighten your seat belts this is going to be a bumpy ride" :D )

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest Byrney

One you'll know Gilly, when Buddy Smith sings Yeah.... And into one of the most magical instrumental breaks you'll ever hear... Transports me every time.

Social source share

Singers with attitude. Especially the ladies. Love it! :D

From the pop end of the soul spectrum again - what about in the live performances of Proud Mary where Tina goes from the 5mph intro to the 100 mph main body of the song.

OMG! Wham! Bam! Tina is strutting, the Ikettes are boogying,  Ike is at the back looking like the coolest dude on the planet.

I put that in my top 10 musical performances of the last 50 years.

Shivers? All over!!

Good call. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over for me. Pretty much all of it makes me shiver, a heady mix of great lyrics and a driving orchestral beat.

Jerry Williams - Run, run roadrunner, the bit where he sings "I live the life I love, I love the life I live, yeah yeah,yeah, yeah"

Key changes on a record are often able to make me shiver.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Key changes on a record are often able to make me shiver.

I think song writers quite often use that technique don't they.

Change from a major key to minor and then back again. I used to know more about this in my younger days, but most of it just a distant memory now.

Social source share

the orchestral break in johnny gilliams room full of tears,brings a tear to my eye (stafford heaven),the angelic female backing singers on lee mckinneys-ill keep holding on,kills me everytime,and the whole of the just brothers go on and laugh track ! fook me does it ever get any better than this ?!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Four Gents.Ive Been Trying when the guy sings "so sincerely your gonna love me "  or One Gold Piece whe he sings "happiness happiness" and for now S Coleman Age of the wolf at the end she sings "girls keep your distance" on the up,i just love songs that finnish on up notes

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Had the shivers from many records over the years. One that readily comes to mind is at the end of Don Garder's "Is This Really Love" where he pleads "Won't Somebody help me, Aaaaaargh I need someone to show me the way yeah"

https://youtu.be/C-FYU-N-aIc

Social source share

Are there parts in songs that make you shiver, it maybe a sax break a word phrasing,or even laughing.I will start with one of mine.Check out Nelson Sanders Im Lonley Rambler (its here on refosoul )  there is an organ comes in trying to sound like chellos it makes me shiver every time I hear it whats yours ?

Wow - I didn't  know that one, how good is that.

Edited by Mick Boyle
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The harmonica solos by Big Walter Horton in Jimmy Rogers' "Walkin' By Myself" and "Chicago Bound".  The guitar break by Matt Murphy on "Lonesome" by Memphis Slim, The guitar break by Pops Staples in "I'll Fly Away" and "Hammer And Nails" (Riverside version), The soaring Alto high notes in The Flamingos' Chance and Parrot ballads.  Benny Benjamin's, Pistol Allen's and Uriel Jones' snare drum rolls in too many Motown instrumental tracks to mention, and Johnny Allen's 1964 arrangements meshing together all those great Motown instrumental performances.  The Five Keys' fantastic five-part harmony on their 1951 and 1952 cuts (especially "Red Sails In The Sunset" and "My Saddest Hour", and the same for The Flamingos' 1963 and 1964 cuts "Golden Teardrops", "If I Can't Have You", "I'm Yours".  The 1953 and 1954 great harmony backgrounds by Billy Butler and The Enchanters and The Impressions backing Major Lance, Otis Leavill, Jerry Butler and Jan Bradley and Gene Chandler.  1954 guitar solos by Johnny "Guitar" Watson, and many from the 1940s by T-Bone Walker.  The rolling plunky piano of Otis Spann, Memphis Slim, Champion Jack Dupree.  The haunting guitar licks of Elmore James.  The early Motown sax and flute solos of Beans Bowles.  The great ensemble sound of The Afro Blues Quintet and Afro Blues Quintet +1 on "Liberation" and "Moses", and really everything on their first four LPs.  The haunting clarity of Ray Pollard's lead vocals in his cuts as lead of The Wanderers. 

Is that all Robb?!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Jnr Walker I aint going nowhere sax break awesome

Eddie parker- Love you baby -Ashford

Fontana Bass-I cant rest -Checker

Could list lots of big titles but some that do it for me

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The start of Roy Hamilton -Heartache (Hurry On By) where the backing singers start first then Roy comes in quietly but with real feeling.

Also one that always gets me - intro to Edward Hamilton -I'm Gonna Love You, fantastic drum roll then, crash, and away they go.

Rick

Edited by Rick Cooper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the great response you guys,glad im not the only sad twat around but like you fellows I do love my music,heres a few more Silhouettes when they sing "and maybe someday shell try to return" am I right in thinking the backing singers sing "booooo"?    back later got to go for my tea (Nicola said)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks for the great response you guys,glad im not the only sad twat around but like you fellows I do love my music,heres a few more Silhouettes when they sing "and maybe someday shell try to return" am I right in thinking the backing singers sing "booooo"?    back later got to go for my tea (Nicola said)

Magnificent 7, Never Will I, gets played in here at least once a week, "so close, a breeze can't blow between us, so tight, you couldn't part us with a Tommy gun" brilliant lyric, and the delivery, well, perfection

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The first song that gave me that hair standing on end up the back of the neck moment is quite a surprising one. I had a lot of Otis, Aretha records that I loved, and I also had a few , what would be classed as Northern that I also loved, but in 1972 when My cousin played Vol 2 of the Motown Disco classics album & Two Can Have A Party came on....Boom, the hairs went and I though What the Feck was that!!!!!!! Uptempo still does it for me now.

Paul

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!