Things In Records That Make You Shiver

Gilly

Hmmm,

so many to choose,  but who can resist the strings on Mel Britt, Lou Ragland ?  The sax solos on Evelyn king's 'SHAME', or Mystic Merlins, 'Just can't give you up'?  Not forgetting the Memphis horns on 'try a little tenderness'

a multitude of quality tunes, love em

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hey,

Ok I would love you guys to experience what I get from this moment of magic!

On the flip side of "Little Woman" by Ronnie West on Goins, in the incredibly soulful Movin On there is a bum note in a sax break about 2/3rds way through the song that will pierce your soul! It makes me shiver every time, just incredible. Its perfection in its inperfection and had to be case of one take n thats your lot.

There is also a strange phenomenon I've discovered with this record. Please please please, to get the full effect of what I'm describing play it over the head phones and close your eyes and truely listen to the words. You will be lost in the song by the time that bum note hits ya and it will send a shiver down yr spine.

The phenomenon I mentioned is , anybody I have played this for over the headphones, by the time the song is finished and they open their eyes, they all to man/woman make the same rocking motion to the beat of the song.

The power of music eh ! Please enjoy n let me know what yee guys think ?

Atb

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey,

Ok I would love you guys to experience what I get from this moment of magic!

On the flip side of "Little Woman" by Ronnie West on Goins, in the incredibly soulful Movin On there is a bum note in a sax break about 2/3rds way through the song that will pierce your soul! It makes me shiver every time, just incredible. Its perfection in its inperfection and had to be case of one take n thats your lot.

There is also a strange phenomenon I've discovered with this record. Please please please, to get the full effect of what I'm describing play it over the head phones and close your eyes and truely listen to the words. You will be lost in the song by the time that bum note hits ya and it will send a shiver down yr spine.

The phenomenon I mentioned is , anybody I have played this for over the headphones, by the time the song is finished and they open their eyes, they all to man/woman make the same rocking motion to the beat of the song.

The power of music eh ! Please enjoy n let me know what yee guys think ?

Atb

Clint

For bum notes check these three out,Carlena Weaver Audel (miss note in trumpet break.Little Ritchie Just another Heartbreak (again miss note in trumpet break) and the last for now(need to listen to the acapela of this to pick-up on it Four Tops Just ask the lonely(one word not sung as you might think it should be) flippin brill

Social source share

The Charles Johnson is an absolute masterpiece in my humble opinion. Never grow tired of listening to it. Literaly find something new in it everytime I listen to it. Its just epic. It has everything for me.

My favourite bit is when he sings "my love is shining clear and bright" so simple, Beautiful stuff!

Also I always found the use of the oboe at the start of Rose Royce's Wishing on a star very haunting . Stunning tune !

Great thread this, its great to hear what gets to people in a tune.

Atb

Clint

• Helpful 2
Social source share

SLAMMINSOUL, on 30 Mar 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

The Charles Johnson is an absolute masterpiece in my humble opinion. Never grow tired of listening to it. Literaly find something new in it everytime I listen to it. Its just epic. It has everything for me.

My favourite bit is when he sings "my love is shining clear and bright" so simple, Beautiful stuff!

Also I always found the use of the oboe at the start of Rose Royce's Wishing on a star very haunting . Stunning tune !

Great thread this, its great to hear what gets to people in a tune.

Atb

Clint

Yep, with you on that mate.

Rose Royce's "Wishing" is class too - absolutely.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great thread,have a few to mention - Magnetics/Count the Days,last 30 seconds.Charles Johnson/ You made a mistake,the drummer (I think) shouts "hey" about two thirds of the way through.C.Alexander +the Natural 3/Pay them no mind - all 2 mins 45 secs.O'jays/Now he's home,last 40 seconds or so where the chorus and backing just swells up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some very good shouts Ijust love records with that instrumental part like...

The ellusion you didnt have to leave (that saxophone just sings for em!)

cashmeres-showstopper

Jon and the weirdest-cant get over these memories

Kenny wells- isnt it just a shame

And loads more..

But one record that gets me is the soul communicator- those lonely nights(when the lead vocalist sings "every night every nights a lonely night" its just magic!)

also someone posted don gardner- is this really love bang on! Good man!

Social source share

Ree Flores - Look into my heart,

the machine gun intro, the singing, the words, "damage has been done" complete package.

Arin Demain - Silent Treatment.

again fantastic intro and the way the tempo changes

Lee Rogers - How are you fixed for love

complete package.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Can't fault the choices so far. Just like to mention the Fantastic Four's As long As I live. Great production all round but when they spin off into that melodic chorus, buzzing and just sends me. Getting a lot of plays at chez D at the moment.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Kelly and the Soul Explosions  (Talking bout my babys love) the whole of the record makes my hair stand on end.                                                                                                         one of the most soulful tunes ever. a real heartfelt song.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was listening to radio 2 alone driving in the car the other Saturday morning and this came on.

https://youtu.be/W9ONt6D2noA

It just wiped me out nostalgia-wise.....for a couple of minutes I was back there with a big lump in my throat and a few tears in my eyes.

Listen to it again, what an unbelievable track that is!!! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The Dynamics on Dyna  at the end of the song the guy sings "just ask the lonely " twice but on the second time( as a lot of black singers do) pronounces the word "ask" as "axe" I fuckin love-it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!