Velvet Hammer

Just hope the are singers getting something out of this, had a dream that when Pharrell came on stage last month at the Emmy's to do his corny current version he'd step aside and let them take over to show the world what real soul is but then woke up, darn

The live version is way better but that's a Dig Deeper exclusive of course  :wicked:  :shhh:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Gave my multi coloured issue away years ago to a friend...& no I dont regret it, nice record but still only worth £20 really...

Russ

Hi Russ,

Funny thing is, I'd need to be desperate for cash to get rid of mine as the label is just toooo pretty!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Sold on the 16th for £62.00 on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310892998501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That seems a fair price, one I would happily pay.

It would have sold for twice that had it played perfectly. Luckily the seller play graded the record and was honest in his discription regarding sound depreciation. I wonder if all e-bay sellers are as accurate in their gradings, considering that most (all??) original copies of the record are styrene.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is it the same tune as pharrel Williams.....doesn't sound like it to me, different words too!!!

Its all down to the subtle art of "sampling" 

Old soul boys can have hours of fun listening to the newies and trying to figure where that hook originally came from :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just hope the are singers getting something out of this,

See below.

Is it the same tune as pharrel Williams.....doesn't sound like it to me, different words too!!!

Correct Jim!

The only thing in common is the title. One is a great soul record, the other isn't.

Correct Quinvy!

Its all down to the subtle art of "sampling" 

Old soul boys can have hours of fun listening to the newies and trying to figure where that hook originally came from :thumbsup:

Buzzz! Incorrect Sjclement!

Although in fairness it's almost identical - except for the tune and the words that is. If giving a song the same title as another qualifies as sampling then surely Ken Dodd should be in for at least a bit of dosh for "Happiness" as it shares almost all the letters found in Happy and is thematically linked to boot.

Now can we stop talking about these two boring records and maybe expend a bit of energy on something else. Like my criminally ignored topic about a German blue eyed soul 45 for instance :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It would have sold for twice that had it played perfectly. Luckily the seller play graded the record and was honest in his discription regarding sound depreciation. I wonder if all e-bay sellers are as accurate in their gradings, considering that most (all??) original copies of the record are styrene.

Dave

I have the pink one and it's vinyl.... I thought they were all vinyl??? :g:

Social source share

This P Williams song seems as far removed from Velvet Hammer as William Bell.

Must admit, I just don't hear anything similar, other than the tempo, (In the same way that "I Am Nothing" by Al Williams has the same tempo as "She Love You" by the Beatles - absolutely nothing in common other than this one aspect - just about)

Is this why people have been putting threads up about an instrumental cover version of Pharrel Williams? - I didn't realise it was being associated with Velvet Hammer until I read this thread, and couldn't understand the point of those "cover" threads from a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

See below.

Buzzz! Incorrect Sjclement!

Although in fairness it's almost identical - except for the tune and the words that is. If giving a song the same title as another qualifies as sampling then surely Ken Dodd should be in for at least a bit of dosh for "Happiness" as it shares almost all the letters found in Happy and is thematically linked to boot.

Now can we stop talking about these two boring records and maybe expend a bit of energy on something else. Like my criminally ignored topic about a German blue eyed soul 45 for instance :lol:

George Harrison should have had you around when the My Sweet Lord /He's So Fine argument was on, smart a**se  :P

Edited by sjclement
Social source share

I must have missed this topic and I'd be interested in it!

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Pink second, Multi 1st was always the thought.

Both originals are they not ?

Multi coloured styrene west coast press, cream east coast vinyl press

that's what I understood the difference to be

Social source share

Guest east rob

He's So Fine, not Oh Happy Day

he paid out for he's so fine, but years later admitted he had originally ripped oh happy day.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!