Across The Board

Across The Board Poll - I'm Going All The Way  

1. 1. This sound is quite acceptable

• Yes
    • No

Guest marco i

Just got a copy on 7 inch for a fiver on a buy it now on ebay hope its the right one (not the remix) therse loads of 12 inchers on there if any ones intrested fill your boots

Nice tune indeed!

I don't mind 12"... which is the best choice between the different mixes?

Social source share

• Replies 109
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest sydney bridge
HE'S USED TO BEING INSULTED AND HE IS SIMPLE MINDED I'VE KNOWN HIM MOST OF MY LIFE :thumbsup:
Ive known him half of my life,Chris and I think your being a bit harsh.However he does own every record that Simple Minds ever made,as you well know.
Social source share

Nice tune indeed!

I don't mind 12"... which is the best choice between the different mixes?

Sorry dont no, Thats why i went foe the 7 inch just guessed it would be the right one and for a fiver its worth the gamble, maybe some one can put us right,

Social source share

The night is billed as Northern Soul - Across The Board.

The DJ spins The Sounds Of Blackness - I'm Going All The Way.

Is it acceptable?

Are we either a 'broad minded church' or a 'narrow minded tribe'?

Just a bit of fun......

Col.

Wouldn't have a prob with this being played - course it's acceptable - it's what modern souls all about ain't it ............... :thumbsup:

Get fed up with people having tunnel vision on the soul scene :P

Soon as I played it - heard it before - think it must have been at a mate's house - he's heavily into Modern... Good tune Col :P

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Agree Matt that 'some' tracks have been played as new releases (I've made a bit of a career of it myself) and infact the Northern scene was founded on records that were either new or only 4-5 years old, but that's why I stated that the scene 'often needs to have' rather than 'always'needs to have'.

Sadly, though, I think you'll agree, its more often than not that Soul Music itself is way ahead of the 'Northern' Soul scene's ability to absorb it.

There are dozens of tracks that should have been played when new, snubbed at the time, only to be later 'discovered' or deemed acceptable many years later.

Good to see the above track getting the thumbs up though in the poll, if only belatedly.

But dont ya' all just wonder what tracks came out in the last 12 - 18 months... that the Northern Scene should have played... rather than waiting until 2010.

Sean Hampsey

I like Sean am an avid soul fan and hanker after new sounds all the time after all guys we won't live to be 300 years old just how old these people think we will be attending venues as when they bypass things that are new in order to STORE THEM AWAY for a later time until they think the fans are ready to accept them what kind of bollocks is that I SAY LET'S HEAR THE SOUNDS NOW not in five or ten years time I want to hear as much as I can before I go to the great allnighter in the sky.

fdsoul

Social source share

Loved this tune for ever, It's on the --

AFRICA TO AMERICA, THE JOURNEY OF THE DRUM

Also listen out for --

ARE YOU READY - THE AFFAIR

No sound file I'm affraid , can someone help (CUNNIE)

I think this is the cd I have...must dig it out and give it a listen again :thumbsup:

Social source share

Great track. The whole album that this comes from is like this, not one bad track on it. :lol:

Nice, again is it available on vinyl ??

Social source share

It's available on a 12" Miff & i know you love your vinyl but Mak & Dodger are spot on & i can thoroughly recommend the album (available on cd & vinyl i think).

Great thread this Col :thumbsup: . Good to see that it's been accepted by most on here without any silly comments :D

Of all the current new releases out at the moment i could see the new Tom Moulton re-mix of The Way You Love Me by Ron Hall & The Mothafunkaz going down well in across the board rooms, got a great Philly feel to it.

As it's a new release & with the current tightening up of the rules i best not post it up but getting back to SOB have a listen to this.

14___Love_Train.mp3

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I remember hearing 'I'm going all the way' on at least one occasion at the 100 Club, not long after it was released. It might've been at one of the modern nighters that Ady put on in the '90s?

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Of all the current new releases out at the moment i could see the new Tom Moulton re-mix of The Way You Love Me by Ron Hall & The Mothafunkaz going down well in across the board rooms, got a great Philly feel to it.

Personally I think the scene needs to leave that record well alone now Mart, in all it's formats and remixes, it's well been done to death.

Another nice 'n soulful 'modden biggie' that a few may not know is this top tune:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Personally I think the scene needs to leave that record well alone now Mart, in all it's formats and remixes, it's well been done to death.

Another 'modden biggie' that a few may not know is this top tune:

Agree with you r/e the modern scene but i think it's still got some life on the across the board scene Rog.

Social source share

the sooner across the board nights come the better

30 odd years of soul and I want to hear most of it - would anybody dance to this lot?

the above SOB for starters

Anthony white "hey baby"

Buddy Lamp on Wheelsville "Save this Love"

Norris Vines - give in

Randy Brown "Always in the Mood"

Volcanoes - laws of Love

Donald Byrd - Lovin You

Womack - Trust your heart

Solo - blowin my mind

Lynn White - I dont know why

and finish with Annabel Fox "lonely Girl"

Empty Dance Floor? :thumbsup:

Not from me darling, nothing better than dancing to a good variety soul music of any description, recenctly acquired "Live at the Bijou"-Grover Washington Jnr, which has one of my all time fave jazz fusion tracks "Sausolito" has now been played soo much, I think my neighbours are thinking of moving!!!!! Del x

Social source share

It's available on a 12" Miff & i know you love your vinyl but Mak & Dodger are spot on & i can thoroughly recommend the album (available on cd & vinyl i think).

Great thread this Col :D . Good to see that it's been accepted by most on here without any silly comments :thumbsup:

As it's a new release & with the current tightening up of the rules i best not post it up but getting back to SOB have a listen to this.

14___Love_Train.mp3

Great version i gonna get me some of these SOB CDs me thinks :D

Social source share

================================================================

Hi Miff

You should be able to get it on 12 pretty easy - Another one I can highly reccommend by them is:

If Only You Could Be Mine (Also available on 12)

Don't see the LP about too often - Have sold quite a bit of this UK Soul over to Japan in the last couple of years. Some very under-rated stuff IMHO.

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Is it acceptable?

Just a bit of fun......

Col.

Quality tune!!! S.O.B are good modern soul, perfect for summer :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is it acceptable?

Just a bit of fun......

Col.

Put me in the narrow minded tribe!!

Its funk! and yuk!

Mand :unsure:

Social source share

Put me in the narrow minded tribe!!

Its funk! and yuk!

Mand :thumbsup:

No Mand, this is what real soul is all about babes, modern gospel music with a dance beat

is what real Soul music is should be, it doesn't matter whether it is from the 60s,70s etc etc northern, motown atlantic stax jazz funk etc etc, It is all soul ,have it large!!! Delxx

Social source share

I'm Going all The Way was Huge as a new release at PITCHES, Rotherham.

I just cant fathom (and never have been able to) why the Northern scene often needs to have a 10 - 15 year incubation period before it can accept a Soul track (see the Al Mason thread - i.e. only just acceptable now!).

Tragic... but you've heard my rant on this subject before!

Across The Board... was a phrase first used at PITCHES to mean just that.

Soul Music... Across the board... all eras, all tempo's for all tastes!

Sean Hampsey

Hear, hear, brother..

Good days..

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

This is more like it..a bit 'o gospel..Something in this thread with a bit of umph to it..Got missen a copy the first week it was out, which is some time ago...Fills the floor everywhere it`s played..

Also try this....DonaldMcCollum_You_DontWantMyLove.mp3

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Saw the video for this on MTV Base the other night and thought it was a reasonable track - couple of years old isn't it?

Kirk Franklin, I think the artists called.

You're right-it is Kirk Franklin and the track is "Looking for you"

It came out last year on a 12 and an album.

The you in the title refers to You (capital Y) as in Him (capital H).....on the record sleeve he is wearing a hoodie emblazoned with the words "Jesus Freaks" :thumbsup:

Edited by Karen Heath
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

This is more like it..a bit 'o gospel..Something in this thread with a bit of umph to it..Got missen a copy the first week it was out, which is some time ago...Fills the floor everywhere it`s played..

Also try this....DonaldMcCollum_You_DontWantMyLove.mp3

Another cool one. Got this too- I'm sounding a bit of a show off ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

You're right-it is Kirk Franklin and the track is "Looking for you"

It came out last year on a 12 and an album.

The you in the title refers to You (capital Y) as in Him (capital H).....on the record sleeve he is wearing a hoodie emblazoned with the words "Jesus Freaks" :thumbsup:

Seens as we're on that Soul / Gospel tip - How about ' Don't Give Up' Island Inspirational All Stars - Which i think includes sadi Mr Franklin!

Rich

Social source share

Have now got

Im Going all the way 7 inch

This Preasure on 7 inch

Optimistic on 12 inch

Africa to America CD

Only heard the fist one, the rest on your recomendations, should be intresting :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Seens as we're on that Soul / Gospel tip - How about ' Don't Give Up' Island Inspirational All Stars - Which i think includes sadi Mr Franklin!

Rich

It's quite Sounds of Blacknessish too!

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Karen- I`ve got LOADSA this stuff.. It`d take me an eternity to post it all up..But here goes another...Again,try this...

hardsoul_backtogether_stubower_edit.mp3

Thanks for posting them. :unsure: Ican't get to grips with posting sounds-bit complicated for a part-time luddite!

I've heard that somewhere-like it.

Social source share

It's quite Sounds of Blacknessish too!

Tis that Karen! Uk Label Dome is always worth a visit too - plus of course Expansion - their Friends In High PLaces comps from a few years back are worth checking - And of course on Uk Expansion - Dennis Austins - ' I'll Shine For You ' - Magic stuff!

ATB

Rich

Social source share

All this pigeon holing of music has always been a pain although we (yes me too) have always felt the need to do it even before modern (ooopsss.... sorry crossover these days...showing my age!), 100 mph, floater, midtempo etc etc.

I blame Dave Godin for calling it Northern in the first place! lol

But at least it makes it easier to tell your friends what music you like (but they still don't understand of course)

Always think these dabates are a bit like discussing the pros and cons of the ref's decision in a footie match...we moan about it but secretly we love talking about it! sad.gif

How about a debate on indiviual northern genres?

I started a few there

floaters

midtempo

100 mph

and not forgetting nice (meaning great record you listen to in your front room discussing with your mates lol)............next please? :unsure:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

If played at Northen it is Northen but for me across board is simply the Motown songs which are Northern, any modern kind of soul and funky Northern and the R & B as called. other songs straight forward as Northern.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!