Bbc - Dj Archaeologist Of African Vinyl

Mike

The BBC has an interesting piece in its news section

Titled 

Frank Gossner: The archaeologist of African vinyl

clipped from the article

A German DJ has become an archaeologist of funk. He travels around Africa searching for old, unwanted and often moulding LPs, gets them reissued and then plays them at his gigs around the world.

_73690687_wanted_poster464.jpg

One way Gossner located records was by making posters with the brightly coloured covers of the albums he was looking for - plus large "WANTED!" signs and his contact information.

the story has cropped up before but  it looks like the bbc has put it together well

here's the link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26654516

the guys blog

https://voodoofunk.blogspot.co.uk/

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Brett F

As an immense rare soul record collector , I got in touch with Frank prior to his African odyssey , and my want was delivered , God Bless that man.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

As an immense rare soul record collector , I got in touch with Frank prior to his African odyssey , and my want was delivered , God Bless that man.

Social source share

Otherwise known as Voodoo Frank.

Anyone who has the inherent energy to go digging in deepest Africa has my supreme respect. That's exactly the same thirst for knowledge and discovering hitherto unknown tunes that us Soul diggers have in our chosen areas. In fact, I'd like to think that we were pretty quick off the block at seriously digging into other cultures from the late 50's onwards.....

Afro-Funk is not my thing but if it was I'd go directly to Voodoo Frank for his expertise. A giant amongst diggers.

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!