Vicky Styles - Odex

Guest Baz

Right Warren has put up a want for this, and we've been talking about it

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30926

i've been searching for it for 4 years with no luck, and know of three copys Joan, Mike and my mate Dave.

Any one else know it, herd it, know of any one with one ect.

Got to be a £700+ tune easy, listed in Brownies guide at £40, Manships not got it in his so he's not had/sold one (i take it)

Social source share

Guest rachel

i've been searching for it for 4 years with no luck, and know of three copys Joan, Mike and my mate Dave.

Got to be a £700+ tune easy, listed in Brownies guide at £40, Manships not got it in his so he's not had/sold one (i take it)

Heard it once, at Soul Or Nothing last year, so was either Joan or Mike (honestly can't remember, it was towards the end of a long night :rolleyes: )... remember thinking it was good anyway :thumbsup:

Social source share

Heard it once, at Soul Or Nothing last year, so was either Joan or Mike (honestly can't remember, it was towards the end of a long night :rolleyes: )... remember thinking it was good anyway :thumbsup:

Same backing as Open the door to your heart, but in a more crossovery feel, would upload a sound file but on hold at the mo, dont know how you cut them down? i could PM it to you rach if you know how to do it :huh:

Rare as hens teeth IMO :lol:

Social source share

I know of others who have either had or may ewven still have copies so I'd say good few more than the 3 mentioned. It's been on lists and sure it's been on e-bay in the past.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know of others who have either had or may ewven still have copies so I'd say good few more than the 3 mentioned. It's been on lists and sure it's been on e-bay in the past.

I'd say more than just three ... probably a lot more....cos i couldn't possibly have anything that rare....

Didn't know Mike had a copy ... the sly dog!!

Not seen it on E Bay though ... nor on any lists ... you talking recently Chalky?

Social source share

Not seen it on E Bay though ... nor on any lists ... you talking recently Chalky?

dunno Joan, have all on remembering last weekend :rolleyes: I'd say not in recent living memory, last year I think I last saw it but like you say I did know of more than just the three.

Social source share

I'd say more than just three ... probably a lot more....cos i couldn't possibly have anything that rare....

Its rare as rocking horse shite Joan :thumbsup:

Sure my mates came from Gary Spencer/Neil Bull wonder if they turned them all up :rolleyes:

Ive seen more copys of a few 'rarer' records than this up for grabs

Social source share

dunno Joan, have all on remembering last weekend :yes: I'd say not in recent living memory, last year I think I last saw it but like you say I did know of more than just the three.

Yep not debating there is only 3 but that was the only ones i know of, and you sort of keep your eye out for things like this, where and when you can, shame i missed it on Ebay as do search fairly regular for it :( Any idea what it went for?

Social source share

Yep not debating there is only 3 but that was the only ones i know of, and you sort of keep your eye out for things like this, where and when you can, shame i missed it on Ebay as do search fairly regular for it :( Any idea what it went for?
i used to have a copy of this but sold mine back in 1996 and got about £300 for it then dont know who bought it though :yes:
Social source share

so sly that didnt know himself!! :(

laughing here, remember time when you gave me that top ten with it on and I took it off as was still hunting for it :yes:

no joy and gave up

clicked why Baz thinks I got one as wacked it on end of a cd

think it did show up on a fairly recent-ish guy hennighan playlist , but not that sure

Social source share

I was put onto this 45 early / mid 80s via Pat Allen (Burnley Bankhall Miners) it took me about 6 months to secure a copy, I think I paid £3 or £4 for it.

Im not sure if Pat still has his, I will ask him. I know of at least 3 other collectors who still have copies. I used to put it on tape swaps back then.

Its one of those records I sometimes like and sometimes just think its just ok, its definately one that does not turn up that often.

cheers

Paul

Social source share

so sly that didnt know himself!! :yes:

laughing here, remember time when you gave me that top ten with it on and I took it off as was still hunting for it :(

no joy and gave up

think it did show up on a fairly recent-ish guy hennighan playlist , but not that sure

Yeah you're right Mike.... Guy did play it a bit back ... Frobisher i think.... could be wrong with the venue ... but he definitely played it.

Didin't Carl Fortnum have it too?

....Yeah remember that about the playlist... dead funny :(

Social source share

Here's a picture of my copy

Dazz

post-2367-1152615002.jpg

Social source share

so sly that didnt know himself!! :D

laughing here, remember time when you gave me that top ten with it on and I took it off as was still hunting for it :P

no joy and gave up

:P Mike, shame on you putting it on a CD and making me think you had it :P it was the SS swap from last year :P

Joan, pretty sure Carl tried to get my mate Dave's copy off him, how ever it wouldn't supprise me if he did have it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Anyone remember that Virtue studio acetate called 'I didn't know' by VS? Not the strongest vocal, but musically OK

She also done a funk side that when speeded up to about +4 would go down a storm in a 'progressive' venue :thumbsup:

Social source share

Seeing Pat's name have to say that he has no longer got a copy of this 45.Think Steve from Burnley who was Pat's mate has a copy though?

Pat is living over here in Ireland and still loves the music as much as ever.If anyone wants to contact him you can let me know and I'll pass any messages onto him!!

Woovy G

Social source share

Come on Joan send me a clip you owe me a favour :thumbsup:

Go on Joan, send him a clip and chuck one over to me while you're at it.

Now then, now then, do you think Jim could fix it for me to get a copy of said disc before Saturday at a price as near to Tim Brown's price as possible. Then again does the Pope dance to Northern. I don't think so.

Warren

Social source share

• 6 years later...
Guest bankhallman

I was put onto this 45 early / mid 80s via Pat Allen (Burnley Bankhall Miners) it took me about 6 months to secure a copy, I think I paid £3 or £4 for it.

Im not sure if Pat still has his, I will ask him. I know of at least 3 other collectors who still have copies. I used to put it on tape swaps back then.

Its one of those records I sometimes like and sometimes just think its just ok, its definately one that does not turn up that often.

cheers

Paul

cheers

Paul

Yes Paul, It's a great record. I bought this a long long time ago, from our friend and supplier in Melton Mowbray myself and Steve Ray visited him and bought some very rare and obscure sounds from that brill man. I also got that day The Fascinators, and several others and I played this at Bankhall well over 25/30 years ago and I am sure it was virtually unknown at the time apart from a handful of collectors I imagine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. and still remains a firm favourite of mine and Steve Rays.(nice one Paul)

Social source share

there was a guy selling a few copies of this on ebay about 4 years ago, he was based in the town where it originated from, he knew it was a rare piece, in his "item description" he stated that the handful of copies he had, had been sourced by door to door cold calling in the area

just found it ...second one down on popsike, make sure you put the correct spelling in VIKKI styles

Edited by trev thomas
Social source share

Cant see what all the fuss is about over this 45, glad I sold mine when I did, got mine off Tim Ashibendi many years ago for about £20.00 - kept it for a week of so, then sold it to someone who has replied on this thread -- dont think its that good, out of tune in most parts.

Social source share

I love this 45. The right amount of amateur charm to make it something special IMO.

Read ups here: https://greenvilleandbeyond.wordpress.com/artists/vikki-styles/

It's definitely rare, I got stupidly lucky & pulled 2 mint copies in one hit a couple years ago, so added to the one I kept I've had 3 copies in my hands. I know one other copy from that same stash which went to Australia.

I'd be really interested in hearing & getting a label scan of the acetate mentioned above to include on the website, anyone able to get me in touch with the current acetate owner?

Vicki Styles' other 45 on Lynn's is the rarest by far, I've never seen or heard that one!!

Social source share

I love this 45. The right amount of amateur charm to make it something special IMO.

Read ups here: https://greenvilleand...s/vikki-styles/

It's definitely rare, I got stupidly lucky & pulled 2 mint copies in one hit a couple years ago, so added to the one I kept I've had 3 copies in my hands. I know one other copy from that same stash which went to Australia.

I'd be really interested in hearing & getting a label scan of the acetate mentioned above to include on the website, anyone able to get me in touch with the current acetate owner?

Vicki Styles' other 45 on Lynn's is the rarest by far, I've never seen or heard that one!!

I'm pretty sure I've heard the other one a while ago, it was in a local record store and I played it, it was just random deep soul so I passed.

Social source share

Im not sure this is as mega rare as some would have you believe to be honest, yes its a hard record & it aint gonna fall in your lap, but it was about a bit in the past. It strikes me that the original & current posts are hyping it up - 700 UKP plus, nah, isnt worth that IMHO. In fact I remember people passing the odd copy over cos they didnt like it, a little too choppy n messy even for Xover was the opinion....was played at both Abshott/Newbury Allnighter n soul nights & Albrighton if memory serves me correctly & was 'known' prior to that.

Best Russ

Social source share

at least 4 copies Paul

big fave at Soul Nights @ Bridgwater [ plug ]......but I only heard it for the first time when J.Joan played it at the 100 club, and then took me an age to track one down.

I'll bring it to Dunkenhalgh [ plug plug ] this Sunday, if anyone's intersted .

pete lyster

Edited by ricticman
Social source share

This is not a "known copies" type of record and the buzz at the initial interest has pretty much worn off. It's still good, the demand (mainly from collectors who want whatever is hot at the moment) has worn off. Kris above was talking about her having another 45 on Lynn's and saying that is ultra-rare.

Social source share

I sold my spare of the Odex privately for $800US within an hour of posting it up (the other copy I gave to my girlfriend as a present), so it definitely has demand for some collectors. Not 700 pounds but I gladly jumped at the 500 pound offer.

i didn't mean to imply it had no value, just that it's not as in demand as when it was "discovered"

Social source share

i didn't mean to imply it had no value, just that it's not as in demand as when it was "discovered"

nah, i understand entirely, i don't know that it's ever been an "in demand" record but it still will fetch a good price when offered for sale to the right people. it has it's fans. i think it's a tough one to categorize, it wants to be northern using the OTDTYH backing but the wobbly horns & funkier drums kind of wreck that, it's probably too crudely funky for crossover, too soul for funk. it just kind of straddles some sort of "no mans land" as far as which scene to place it in. The deep flip is nice so it has fans there at least. I've played The Tears Won't Stop Falling out at various soul & funk nights & it's at about 50/50 the times it's either kept the dancers going or totally killed the floor. Sadly people will dance to the intro (thinking they're getting Darrell Banks), then dwindle off as soon as the vocals start. I'd call it "funky soul" but the recent thread shows us how little Soul Source thinks of that sound :D

Social source share

fantastic record to me,i love everything about it,the back beat,those horns ! and the key in which she sings it,its just got that special something,and the fact that its hard to categorise makes it even more appealing to me,quirky and great

jason

Social source share

Guest wrighty

i have this one, if anyone desperately wants/needs to hear it send me a pm :wink:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

pm'd, thankyou so much, this 45 has proven to be extremely elusive, glad to have finally found someone to definitely confirm its existence :)

sorry guys, got a bit over excited, 45 i have is vicki starr on lynn's not styles! oops :facepalm:

Social source share

I know a man that can help you, but he has no voice...

i know nothing about records, i just like the messages and the way they uplift me,

but i know a man that does...

• Yes it is te same girl - perhaps yo'd like to tell them so.. # 711 it's in my price guide 6 ... maybe to low @ £75 as Deep Soul but the flip must surely be funk

Social source share

karaoke version of Open The Door To Your Heart...I was racking my brain thinking about what record you were all talking about and when I finally realised what it was I couldn't believe you were all going so over the top. There's certainly another copy because I got this in about 98-99 from a chap who sold me his collection which included a black RCA Don ray, I remember that one, and sold it at one of those two weekenders at that hotel in Bournemouth, can't remember who to but it was something like £125, I sold a minnie jones to jo wallace the same week from the same lot I think

* for an accurate timeline, it was the week before the Danny Moore's hit the streets

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

yep, no voice which is his own choice

I did speak with jm ref recent events and the legal issues raised via phone and the account closure due to legal issues got mentioned

basically he said wishes the account stay as it is eg closed

mike

Social source share

i know nothing about records, i just like the messages and the way they uplift me,

but i know a man that does...

• Yes it is te same girl - perhaps yo'd like to tell them so.. # 711 it's in my price guide 6 ... maybe to low @ £75 as Deep Soul but the flip must surely be funk

so what record is he talking about here??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!