Just How Rare?

Guest Juniorsoul

Guest Juniorsoul

This may well have been covered before? If it has, I can't find the thread, and therefore apologise!

What I want to know is; Just how rare, are the top class records?

How many copies of the Del-Larks is there?

How many Bobby Rich's?

Etc.

Social source share

This may well have been covered before? If it has, I can't find the thread, and therefore apologise!

What I want to know is; Just how rare, are the top class records?

How many copies of the Del-Larks is there?

How many Bobby Rich's?

Etc.

How long is a p .... aaw God, i hate that saying :glare:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

rare records are a pain in the arse,ive got some,and i worry about having so much money tied up in them,i worry about wagon loads turning up! ive also got many bottom/cheaper end records that to me are fantastic records,i find the best thing to do is just to enjoy them for what they are,because even if the market fell on its arse or boat loads turned up,the record is still the same record!

but to answser the question,there needs to be 2 lists...a rarest of the rare...and a expensive of the expensive!

Ah but, according to some on here (i won't mention you Phil :P ).... you need "Big Lads" :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Hi  Junior

It dos'nt matter how rare a record is to me it what's in the grooves 

there are 1000's of top class records out there for a 5er to 30 quid imho 

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

I agree mate. However, I'm just curious as to how many known copies there is of these 'holy grails'.

Social source share

Tim Brown did an article for Record Collector getting on for 20 years ago - the list has barely changed apart from Danny Moore. He also put a wants list in Discoveries magazine roundabout then. Both of these are worth tracking down but until you see them, Manship's Million Dollars of Rare Soul is a great place to start. Remember, the rarest records have yet to be discovered in some cases. Some serious record-hounds like myself are sitting on the identities of potentially rare records and we are not about to disclose them. Go to Popsike and if there is just the one copy auctioned, it will be rare: two copies makes it particularly scarce etc. Get yourself a copy of Jeff Beckman's 'Soul Harmony Singles' and if the record you're considering isn't in there, it's probably rare. Finally, ask Butch if you can thumb through his Playbox or talk him into revealing a few cover-ups and listen to what he says...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tim Brown did an article for Record Collector getting on for 20 years ago - the list has barely changed apart from Danny Moore. He also put a wants list in Discoveries magazine roundabout then. Both of these are worth tracking down but until you see them, Manship's Million Dollars of Rare Soul is a great place to start. Remember, the rarest records have yet to be discovered in some cases. Some serious record-hounds like myself are sitting on the identities of potentially rare records and we are not about to disclose them. Go to Popsike and if there is just the one copy auctioned, it will be rare: two copies makes it particularly scarce etc. Get yourself a copy of Jeff Beckman's 'Soul Harmony Singles' and if the record you're considering isn't in there, it's probably rare. Finally, ask Butch if you can thumb through his Playbox or talk him into revealing a few cover-ups and listen to what he says...

:no: Please don't do that. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

yeah, according to a friend from carolina there are a few copies of bobby rich around. it ain't that rare imo....Max. a 1500$ record at mo

Social source share

There's definitely been some copies of Bobby Rich turned up Chalky. Don't know how many, but it's gone through eBay a couple of times that I know of and I don't look on there anymore. There's one for sale on here, and they have all been minty.

I agree some have turned up but I have still seen over the years more copies of the Del-Larks, both in collections and for sale.  More Bobby Rich will probably turn up, who knows.  Right now I think it is worth more than $1500.

Social source share

.........Go to Popsike and if there is just the one copy auctioned, it will be rare: two copies makes it particularly scarce etc..........

I would be cautious with this approach as Popsike can be a little bit misleading.  Many ebay sales never show up on there for whatever reason, and some entries that were once on there have been bumped off over time.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

I've seen more copies of the Del Larks than Bobby Rich.

I have Bobby Rich :D My favourite tune! Just a fine arrangement of music!

Lets throw a spanner in the works 

Bernie Moore - Which Way To Turn.

Doesn't appear on Popsike!

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

I have Bobby Rich :D My favourite tune! Just a fine arrangement of music!

Lets throw a spanner in the works 

Bernie Moore - Which Way To Turn.

Doesn't appear on Popsike!

I stand corrected!

Social source share

I love Bobby Rich and had a copy that had a long history of owners. And that's the point. It was a record that never turned up, but now seems to be far more prolific.

I agree with Dobber, it's a bloody nightmare owning rare records. You are constantly worrying about a box full turning up.

Social source share

I would be cautious with this approach as Popsike can be a little bit misleading.  Many ebay sales never show up on there for whatever reason, and some entries that were once on there have been bumped off over time.

Fair points. Popsike is not the perfect database but it is starting point in establishing a record's scarcity. Check out Fortson and Scott for example.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The checking Popsike thing is flawed too, since I'd imagine some of the rarest of the rare records going through eBay will be totally unknown, so no doubt sell for five bucks or so. Or that might just be wildly optimistic on my part...

I might have bought one or two of those...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I love Bobby Rich and had a copy that had a long history of owners. And that's the point. It was a record that never turned up, but now seems to be far more prolific.

I agree with Dobber, it's a bloody nightmare owning rare records. You are constantly worrying about a box full turning up.

Or someone re issueing it.

Social source share

records are just black pieces of vinyl it shouldn't matter if they are rare or expensive you should buy them for the sound and yourself

as for how many copies of certain sounds who knows these days what was once rare ,these days seem to be loads of stuff turn up in quantity

so when all said and done none of them may be rare could be multipule copies of everything still to be found time will tell

Edited by speedlimit
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I seem to think 'Buy it now' items don't get picked up on Popsike either?

i think they do...when you click on a record that is a popular tune that is say a £300 record,and it has a start bid of something close to that and showing 1 bid...i think that indicates it was a buy it now.

Social source share

i think they do...when you click on a record that is a popular tune that is say a £300 record,and it has a start bid of something close to that and showing 1 bid...i think that indicates it was a buy it now.

Some do but at least as many don't in my experience.  I can find very few of the items I've bought as "buy it now".  ( Talking records $50 and up which should appear on popsike consistently. )

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!