Jonathan Capree - Gonna Build Me A Mountain - Ox Bow

Odd how I suggest a soundfile would maybe help a guy sell his 45 only to have folk do the opposite... :(

Bad etiquette in my book to start posting your thoughts on the quality of the song in a sales thread.

P.s There was a copy at set sale for $5k on ebay that went in 24 hrs, so somebody must like it?

F*ck etiquette :D  If Ppl are saying it's a great record, there has to be room for an observation that someone else doesn't happen to like it.....seems like I am not quite alone either Nev. Anyway it's sold now, nothing to see here.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The only reason I suppose this tune wasn't mentioned in biggest allniter tunes of the last 10 years thread was that it's not hit the main halls yet since Middleton closed.

It's always created a rush to the floor whenever I've heard it played and up there with the best discoveries over the last 10 years.

For the upfront venues it's a oldie but set to hit the main circus soon.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

F*ck etiquette :D  If Ppl are saying it's a great record, there has to be room for an observation that someone else doesn't happen to like it.....seems like I am not quite alone either Nev. Anyway it's sold now, nothing to see here.....

It's derivative, unoriginal and poorly performed and produced, apart from that, it's great.  If this is representative of the biggest sounds of the past 10 years, then I'd say NS won't last another 10.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Johnathon Capree wasn't mentioned in the best tunes of the last 10 years simply because it went back "underground", forgotten if you like.

To me it beats an awful lot of the "Drivel" being played, but having said that it is "Drivel" to some on here.... fair enough.

Callum Simpson played this at Burnley, the dance floor remained full to it, and you know what?.... it will be at Pow Wow soon!

Social source share

It's derivative, unoriginal and poorly performed and produced, apart from that, it's great.  If this is representative of the biggest sounds of the past 10 years, then I'd say NS won't last another 10.

But Peter, you will only have heard it down a bloody computer, the big speakers in a dance hall give it justice

Social source share

Heard it at Va Va Voom last year and it sounded great, but not sure if I ever want to see a pair of Oxford bags float around to this tune

So when you heard it at VVV was that the first time?.... you've only had it 5 minutes if so!

Social source share

A respectful way of calling you what your parents (i assume) christened you!

I just never heard it since my Nan and Grandad died, they were the only people who ever called me Peter.

Anyway, swiftly moving on...I was really being serious when I said it was very much like 'Work Song' by the way, I'm sure it was actually intended to.

Social source share

I just never heard it since my Nan and Grandad died, they were the only people who ever called me Peter.

Anyway, swiftly moving on...I was really being serious when I said it was very much like 'Work Song' by the way, I'm sure it was actually intended to.

OK then "PETE", but i have to rePETE.... u.tube or whatever does not always do records justice, surely we can agree on that

Social source share

OK then "PETE", but i have to rePETE.... u.tube or whatever does not always do records justice, surely we can agree on that

Absolutely.  I had this experience with Bari Track back in the 80's.  I never liked it much in the 70's but never heard it at a nighter as far as I know,  then I heard it at an allnighter in the early 80's and it just blew me away, sounded like a different record.  Now it's been a favourite since that moment and it's always in my top 5.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Johnathon Capree wasn't mentioned in the best tunes of the last 10 years simply because it went back "underground", forgotten if you like.

To me it beats an awful lot of the "Drivel" being played, but having said that it is "Drivel" to some on here.... fair enough.

Callum Simpson played this at Burnley, the dance floor remained full to it, and you know what?.... it will be at Pow Wow soon!

Did he play that at Burnley?.........bastard!! :lol:.........why do you keep calling him PETER? :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

So when you heard it at VVV was that the first time?.... you've only had it 5 minutes if so!

Nope, heard it at my first trip Pow Wow several years ago and have only heard it at small/intimate clubs since. VVV was the first time I heard it in a large hall, still worked a treat

Social source share

Nope, heard it at my first trip Pow Wow several years ago and have only heard it at small/intimate clubs since. VVV was the first time I heard it in a large hall, still worked a treat

ok my friend.  It's a super-tune (at the thread end) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest penny

Maybe it's best that it doesn't last another 10 years then, as those traditional tastes are becoming more irrelevent and maybe have more in common with the nostalgia nightmare that's going on these days.

the younger generations have to keep the thing going and define their own anthems - and for anyone under 35, and plenty over, this would be one of them.

to my ears, its an oddball funk gospel club track, as I said, never expected northern soul purist types to like it, or gave a fuck if they did (but glad that some do)...

but one thing you cannot say is that it's poorly produced! Thing sounds crystal clear and fat and loud like a house 12", I've rocked warehouse type parties with this

]

Social source share

Maybe it's best that it doesn't last another 10 years then, as those traditional tastes are becoming more irrelevent and maybe have more in common with the nostalgia nightmare that's going on these days.

the younger generations have to keep the thing going and define their own anthems - and for anyone under 35, and plenty over, this would be one of them.

to my ears, its an oddball funk gospel club track, as I said, never expected northern soul purist types to like it, or gave a f*ck if they did (but glad that some do)...

but one thing you cannot say is that it's poorly produced! Thing sounds crystal clear and fat and loud like a house 12", I've rocked warehouse type parties with this

]

It did on the soundclip I was listening to - I did admit that it would probably sound like a different thing coming out of big speakers.  Actually to be honest I just heard the first verse and chorus which is why I thought it was a rip off of Work Song.

Social source share

It did on the soundclip I was listening to - I did admit that it would probably sound like a different thing coming out of big speakers.  Actually to be honest I just heard the first verse and chorus which is why I thought it was a rip off of Work Song.

Some would sooner watch MOTD, i much prefer the "live" thing.... as with hearing tunes

Social source share

Guest penny

it isn't a miracle of songwriting or singing for sure and, like a lot of pure dance music, doesnt work as well on tinny speakers cos it's real genius is the absurdly fat and modern sounding bass line and the arrangement.

forget the beginning, this tune's all about the atmosphere and the build up to the grand finale.

There's that slightly suspect vocal middle 8, then that brass instrumental section, then it comes back in with that funky guitar taking it up a level which comes from nowhere, then just when you think it cant build any more, it does that repeated turnaround to the outro with the horns which is the musical equivalent of well, you know...busting a nut.

Social source share

The experience of being in a club listening to records opposed to sitting at home is akin to watching live football at a ground, a boxing match, a show in a theatre , a comefian in a wmc... Its about being there with loads of others and soaking up the atmosphere!

It's an experience that some need to try once in a while cos you only live once and your a long time dead :(

Social source share

The experience of being in a club listening to records opposed to sitting at home is akin to watching live football at a ground, a boxing match, a show in a theatre , a comefian in a wmc... Its about being there with loads of others and soaking up the atmosphere!

It's an experience that some need to try once in a while cos you only live once and your a long time dead :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wouldn't say classic just yet...still lots of legs in this one, although at the rate Pogson keeps turning them up, it'll be a classic sooner rather than later ;-)

i have be playing it for 3-4 years now allways goes down well

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Johnathan Capree is certainly causing some debate, is there a tune that we can all agree on? er, God, i'm stuck :g:

We did this once, trying to find a single record that everyone liked, it went on for about 5 pages and as soon as we'd settled on one, someone else came along and said they didn't like it.  Was years ago, 7 or 8 years maybe.  Can't even remember what we settled on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest penny

We did this once, trying to find a single record that everyone liked, it went on for about 5 pages and as soon as we'd settled on one, someone else came along and said they didn't like it.  Was years ago, 7 or 8 years maybe.  Can't even remember what we settled on.

Really? There must be loads. Can you really imagine someone liking soul but not liking 'love starved heart' for example]

Social source share

Really? There must be loads. Can you really imagine someone liking soul but not liking 'love starved heart' for example]

No every time we settled on one, say Mel Britt, and the general consensus was that nobody disliked it, some one did say they never liked it.  I'm sure we ended up with Please Let me In.  The topic has got to still be here in the archives somewhere.  You only have to read that topic "Whats your most hated Northern record" to see that some things we regard as sacred are just hated by others.  I was sent threats for saying I didn't like Bobby Kline  :lol:

Social source share

Guest penny

It sounds to me like this is an adaptation of Clara Ward and the Ward Singers 'Gonna build a mountain' on Tuba, from 1965. Similar kind of hook and lyrics, but Mr Capree has added his own embellishments. So on the originality stakes, it doesn't rate that high, from what I can see.....but as far as I'm concerned, I'd love to own a copy. Had a chance a while back, and scuppered it.

I've heard better dynamic records, but there's something about this tune that creeps inside your noggin and gets the toes tapping......fab 45, really.

Cheers for info, never knew that re ward singers but did describe it earlier in thread as a gospel record and always thought of it as such, and let's have it right, gospel is more about emotional intensity than it is about songwriting craft, nearly every song adapts or borrows from a previous one.

it has that amateur somewhat naive feel of a gospel record too, maybe why some folks arent feeling it

Social source share

We did this once, trying to find a single record that everyone liked, it went on for about 5 pages and as soon as we'd settled on one, someone else came along and said they didn't like it. Was years ago, 7 or 8 years maybe. Can't even remember what we settled on.

Let's do it again :)
Social source share

Cheers for info, never knew that re ward singers but did describe it earlier in thread as a gospel record and always thought of it as such, and let's have it right, gospel is more about emotional intensity than it is about songwriting craft, nearly every song adapts or borrows from a previous one.

it has that amateur somewhat naive feel of a gospel record too, maybe why some folks arent feeling it

FYI Mik, check out the Clara here in a mix of mine....spool through to 23 min 44 sec.....might be a couple of other things in there too that'll be up your strasse, mate.

https://www.mixcloud.com/gregbelson/ladies-of-jazz-pt-2makin-way/

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Ok the history on this tune. I bought it for £300  way back around 2004 ish, from a guy called Steve Smith (i may be wrong) played it on the same night I bought it and it packed the floor.

I was the only DJ playing this tune anywhere, including as resident at Middleton, Piercebridge, guest at Lifeline and other venues.

Then another copy was found by Mik Parry and he was playing it with me and helped break it as a consequence.

I sold my copy to Flanny.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

heers for info, never knew that re ward singers but did describe it earlier in thread as a gospel record and always thought of it as such, and let's have it right, gospel is more about emotional intensity than it is about songwriting craft, nearly every song adapts or borrows from a previous one.

The one by the Ward Singers isn't originally a gospel song but a version of a famous show tune written by Anthony Newley - also done by Sammy Davis Jr, Dusty and about a million others. 

Does bear a certain similarity tho..

Social source share

Exactly. Very formulaic and has nothing else to say. Really poor in my humble opinion. If it was a tenner would you buy it? Not this child.  

And this is in look at your box, not sales.

Totally agree Quinvy. Just wondered if anyone has actually listened to the cheep and cheezy way those back up girls do their little chant. No emotion, precious little soul. Butlins material.

Social source share

Tried one here in NYC back in 2009, think was the first copy to slip thru ebay and everyone was asleep, usually love anything leftfield with an interesting sound so hats off to Mik for breaking it but found it really disappointing to play out, less balls than the LUFC frontline in an away game, so flipped it cheap to a good pal in Italy where it had a much better reception by all accounts.

Social source share

The one by the Ward Singers isn't originally a gospel song but a version of a famous show tune written by Anthony Newley - also done by Sammy Davis Jr, Dusty and about a million others. 

Does bear a certain similarity tho..

Cheers for the post....just checking in though....could you possibly be thinking of 'Lord, don't move the mountain', which was covered by a stack of showtime artists....different tune entirely to 'Gonna move a mountain'

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Cheers for the post....just checking in though....could you possibly be thinking of 'Lord, don't move the mountain', which was covered by a stack of showtime artists....different tune entirely to 'Gonna move a mountain'

Hi....Nope. I'm thinking of 'Gonna Build a Mountain' by Anthony Newley / Leslie Bricusse from the musical 'Stop The World I Want to Get Off'. That's the one Clara Ward on Tuba / Stateside (and all the rest) did.

(Not suggesting the Jonathan Capree is that, although it is a bit similar..)

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Hi....Nope. I'm thinking of 'Gonna Build a Mountain' by Anthony Newley / Leslie Bricusse from the musical 'Stop The World I Want to Get Off'. That's the one the Ward Singers (and all the rest) did.

(Not suggesting the Jonathan Capree is that, although it is a bit similar..)

Huh....I didn't have my copy of the Clara to hand, so a quick look online for a scan of the artwork, and yeah, writing credits to Messrs Newley & Bricusse.....excellent.....hadn't clocked that before. Cheers for the education ;)

I think the Capree is a working of it to a certain point....like a lot of gospel tunes, borrowing licks, verses, choruses etc.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!