One Show BBC

I never mind these TV features, the only thing that bugs me about them is the way we're portrayed as never having evolved since the 70's, we never stopped wearing baggy trousers when the rest of the world did, and we still listen to the same 5 records all the time and wear lots of badges.  Remove that aspect, I quite enjoy them.  Nice kids too.

Pete, honestly mate I'm struggling to see what bits you'd have enjoyed, the records they played showed nothing of the current scene, neither did the clothes. Anybody who goes, or posts on here or other sites knows there's humour and intelligence, where did they capture that? Not having a go, if you enjoyed it fair enough, but I'd rather people were visiting/coming onto the soul scene to find out what it's all about, not in the hope to have a cheap laugh at the expense of all those who really enjoy it. Yeah the kids were gooduns, but so are most of the rest of the community. I truly hope it doesn't have a damaging effect on the film. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was at a 50th Birthday Party last weekend and my sister introduced me to this bloke (He was someone who was going through his ‘Modlife Crisis’)……Because he had a Scooter, she told him I was into ‘Northern Soul’, he said……”Great, put a bit of the ol’ talk down!”……then proceeded to do a ‘twist’ like dance c/w a stupid grin on his face…..I’m that close to completely giving up going out now - This show has bought me even closer; I don’t want to be associated with it anymore.

Although I would love to say I don’t care anymore - it kinda saddens me…….

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Jackie said to me yesterday, what do I say when people ask me if I'm like that when I go out. I just said say no, no point in giving explanations or excuses it's only a small part of life  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete, honestly mate I'm struggling to see what bits you'd have enjoyed, the records they played showed nothing of the current scene, neither did the clothes. Anybody who goes, or posts on here or other sites knows there's humour and intelligence, where did they capture that? Not having a go, if you enjoyed it fair enough, but I'd rather people were visiting/coming onto the soul scene to find out what it's all about, not in the hope to have a cheap laugh at the expense of all those who really enjoy it. Yeah the kids were gooduns, but so are most of the rest of the community. I truly hope it doesn't have a damaging effect on the film. 

There was one shot of everyone dancing it gave me chills, it always does, seeing really good dancers actually dancing and not throwing themselves around, thats what I enjoy.  Always nice to see Lisa Stansfield too.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

stylish?? more fancy dress than Mr benns shop. :ohmy:

I wasn't referring to everyone. There's a way to wear retro gear and still look stylish. I don't know who the young lady was with the mop of hair and the red Brutus (?) shirt. I'd make someone like that the "Poster Girl" of New Wave Northern Soul.

Social source share

I wasn't referring to everyone. There's a way to wear retro gear and still look stylish. I don't know who the young lady was with the mop of hair and the red Brutus (?) shirt. I'd make someone like that the "Poster Girl" of New Wave Northern Soul.

She was a fabulous dancer

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest lofthope

To be honest, I thought the One Show was fairly decent coverage last night. OK the presenters dressing up looked a bit cheesy, not everyone featured was that cool and the reporter who visited Brighouse was poor, but overall I thought it was OK.

So, was it a positive for the scene or a negative? I agree with an earlier poster that if it generates new soulies, especially younger ones, then it is a good thing.

However, in the unlikely event that the scene gets swamped with John Travolta wannbies in the way that the Jazz Funk scene got watered down in the late 70s then it could, of course, spoil it. I have never forgiven Saturday Night Fever for ruining the southern Jazz Funk scene.

But let's keep a sense of proportion here. One appearance on the One Show is not going to mean tens of thousands of people are going to swamp the scene overnight is it? Some young kids may buy in to it, but not a whole generation. Unlike Saturday Night Fever, today's broadcasts reflect retro rather than contemporary culture, it will not appeal to everyone. Meanwhile, some older soulies who have lost touch with the scene may be inspired to get involved again, which isn't a bad thing.

I think overall the One Show it was a good thing, and of course, we have seen it done badly so many times that I can understand the trepidation beforehand. Moreover, this was a plug for the film, as so often on our State TV station which doesn't have adverts,...features are effectively adverts for books, songs, movements or films. The film is good and it is authentic, so ultimately a fair reflection of the scene is what will be delivered to anyone who buys in to what was broadcast last night and goes and watches the film.

I give the BBC 6 out of 10....glass half full for me....it's a teaser for the film and the film is something we can be proud of.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

She was a fabulous dancer

100%. Anyone who couldn't see that is blind. You look at some of those vibrant young kids. And the beautiful and articulate Levanna. Those are the bits I'm remembering. I've forgotten the rest.

Social source share

The young kids wearing 70’s clothes seems bizarre to me - After the 70’s lot, the 80’s lot developed into something different, and that ‘change’ kind of carried on right through the 90’s, until early 2000 (when it all went wrong) Maybe these people only have the ‘where it all went wrong’ decade to be their influence (Shame, but makes sense)

It’s just an observation, and they are probably nice people, but if there was a load of young people taking it all forward, I would have loved them to be really sharply dressed, maybe a bit 80’s influenced, but most importantly something of their own, doing it their way - What happened to the Ivy League College Boy look?

No offence intended to these younguns, and I welcome them onto the Scene - I just think they are missing out on the ‘magic’ that they could get from doing it their way. Maybe in time, they will.

All the best,

P.s - 'Positive Alison' - I'm watching you........ :wink:  :D 

:lol: :lol: bog off Len. I actually said on another thread (can't remember which one) that I hate the majority of the scene at the moment, but my reasons for disliking it are my own personal reasons, & it's not for me to take the pxss (especially if it gets personal) or advise others they are wrong (& I am right) for the way they choose to embrace soul music.

We're going over old ground here, again, but there are two "main" scenes as we all know, let them enjoy theirs, & stop worrying about ours.

Regards

Ali

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i genuinely think that you guys expect far too much when tv gets involved at looking at your youth, which is essentially what is going in here.

tea time type tv is never going to have an in depth view on anything however what they did cover, like it or not, was the fact its is still going on today 40+ years on and they took a nice mother son angle. showed some kids who are into it although some might say they looked liked fashion victims and promoted the film so what more can you ask for. 

kids looking at that will think wow that looks cool or think nothing at all. any promotion of the film is good so i cant see how it will damage. 

these type of things may be made about 'your background' but they are not made 'for you'.

Post of the century

Well put :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The young kids wearing 70’s clothes seems bizarre to me - After the 70’s lot, the 80’s lot developed into something different, and that ‘change’ kind of carried on right through the 90’s, until early 2000 (when it all went wrong) Maybe these people only have the ‘where it all went wrong’ decade to be their influence (Shame, but makes sense)

It’s just an observation, and they are probably nice people, but if there was a load of young people taking it all forward, I would have loved them to be really sharply dressed, maybe a bit 80’s influenced, but most importantly something of their own, doing it their way - What happened to the Ivy League College Boy look?

No offence intended to these younguns, and I welcome them onto the Scene - I just think they are missing out on the ‘magic’ that they could get from doing it their way. Maybe in time, they will.

All the best,

P.s - 'Positive Alison' - I'm watching you........ :wink:  :D 

hey  =- id be a bit worrried if the dressed in the same snorkel coat i used to wear !!!

check end of leicester 2nd anniversary video...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought it was brilliant, 

I had an idea that Northern was dead.....long live "Oedipus Soul"!

Can't wait until the next edition of Blue Peter, they are going to show how to turn those old Tommy Hunt records into that discreet bowling shirt accessory/ badge that Matt 'Shy Guy' Baker was sporting.......

."ON HER  WAY TO WORK ONE MORNING, DOWN THE PATH ALONGSIDE THE BEEB......."  

Tripe On Now, Keep The Taste(less)!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Chaps! Ladies!

Well what we feared is what we got. A total crock of sh*te, it was so painful and sad that it has come to this. The scene which we all loved and worked at either by promoting, djing, collecting, dancing and making lifelong friends over years has come to this on the Telly. What really annoyed me was the media wh*res and people we all know from the scene dancing away looking like total prats. Some of these people moan like mad when off the street people come and dance at venues, total hypocrites. They should have more respect for themselves but i do understand its a free world and all that. Geez i'm gonna have to restart the Capitol Soul Club and get things back to some kinda respectfulness lol.

ps I dancde in Levis, Brouges and a brutus etc for years, thats where i must of being going wrong....doh! F*cking rent a tent trousers and a stick on badge.....right i gotta stop now before i start smashing the keyboard in a karate style :lol:

Greg

Do it Greg, do it now!!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Much as they try to emphasise the point this stuff is NOT about the actual soul music at all really is it.?     .its more to do with all the superfluous  crap that surrounds it...I only enjoy these programs with my eyes shut.....Lorraine Chandler...good tune.

Edited by BAKUNIN
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Waited for the missus to go out this morning, chucked the dog outside just in case it was what I expected. As soon as I saw that presenter in that shite tacky black fist "Northern Soul - Keep The Faith" badge my fears were confirmed, yup the same badge that was on the side of the record box and the front of the decks FFS ... just so naff

Very rarely venture out nowadays, especially to oldies do's because in general from what I've experienced they're a parody, a comic dress up imitation of a once great scene.

In 5 minutes I heard perhaps the three most irritating words I keep fookin' hearing lately

Wigan, if that was all be all and end all of the once "Northern Scene" and especially hate hearing how good it was from those that never went.

Soulies ... grates on me, never been a soulie and never will be a soulie

Movement ... as Dave Rimmer mentioned in another thread, I've never belonged to a "Northern Soul Movement" either

I like to think all of this wouldn't irritate me anymore, so why does it. I suppose it's because I remember belonging to a "Northern Scene" that was cool, elitist, under the radar, looked after itself needing no outside publicity instead of this parody of what it was supposed to have been. 

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Waited for the missus to go out this morning, chucked the dog outside just in case it was what I expected. As soon as I saw that presenter in that shite tacky black fist "Northern Soul - Keep The Faith" badge my fears were confirmed, yup the same badge that was on the side of the record box and the front of the decks FFS ... just so naff

Very rarely venture out nowadays, especially to oldies do's because in general from what I've experienced they're a parody, a comic dress up imitation of a once great scene.

In 5 minutes I heard perhaps the three most irritating words I keep fookin' hearing lately

Wigan, if that was all be all and end all of the once "Northern Scene" and especially hate hearing how good it was from those that never went.

Movement ... as Dave Rimmer mentioned in another thread, I've never belonged to a "Northern Soul Movement" either

I like to think all of this doesn't irritate me anymore, so why does it. I suppose it's because I remember belonging to a "Northern Scene" that was cool, elitist, under the radar, looked after itself needing no outside publicity instead of this parody of what it was supposed to have been. 

I like to think all of this doesn't irritate me anymore, so why does it. I suppose it's because I remember belonging to a "Northern Scene" that was cool, elitist, under the radar, looked after itself needing no outside publicity instead of this parody of what it was supposed to have been. 

Bang on pal.

ROB

Social source share

I don't know her personally, but I think you're referring to Mick Fitzpatrick's daughter, and yes she's a great dancer
Social source share

Guest lofthope

Never mind Baggy Trousers, some seem to want the scene to be so underground that Pot-Holing equipment will have to become the 'uniform'. Most of us joined in because it was fun....what happened so some of you along the way?

In the mid 1970s I recall older people (than me) saying that the kids were ruining the scene, then the late 70s mod revivalists were (apparently) ruining it.....BOTH INFLUXES HELPED IT SURVIVE! I'm all for a bit of publicity aimed at outsiders, so long as it isn't a full scale Saatchi style marketing campaign.

Social source share

Well done to the muppets going on the BBC's one show last night They were ripping the piss out of you the scene is fucked whoever is the last to leave please turn out the lights.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

100%. Anyone who couldn't see that is blind. You look at some of those vibrant young kids. And the beautiful and articulate Levanna. Those are the bits I'm remembering. I've forgotten the rest.

I agree but wasn't it meant to be about promoting the Film yet many have forgotten about that already.  

Social source share

Guest penny

So anybody got anything good to say about it then ?

I always try to look on the positive side, so while Northern is officially less cool than ballroom dancing, it's still cooler than tegestology.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It's moan, moan, moan, about the media. It's wait, wait, wait for the film. Has nobody noticed that WE are the new media. Potential audience for the One Show. The low millions. Potential audience for You Tube a billion and counting. (Oh yes, Levanna noticed. Good on her.)

Just needs a young passionate film maker (degree student no probs) to make the history of Rare/Northern soul in 6 half hour episodes - a collaborative venture with Soul Source and its members. Made for You Tube.

There is a Poll facility on this forum. Members could decide democratically what music to include, what DJ's, collectors, dancers, punters should be interviewed, what questions to ask, what venues to include, blahdy blahdy blah.

There is a members only section. Put initial filming up for comment and critique of members before final edit is decided on.

I know . . . . all sounds too much like hard work.

Let's just keep moaning and waiting.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Sounds reasonable in principle but is there a single thing that we all agree on? :lol:

It doesn't matter though does it. You get an initial list, you put it in a poll, and most votes wins.

It won't be perfect but it will be as perfect as it will ever get. :D

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Can someone please load up a video on youtube or whatever so that we can watch it in europe :hatsoff2:

This s what we all should be wearing. ..

post-1355-0-74688100-1395922927_thumb.jp

Social source share

i genuinely think that you guys expect far too much when tv gets involved at looking at your youth, which is essentially what is going in here.

tea time type tv is never going to have an in depth view on anything however what they did cover, like it or not, was the fact its is still going on today 40+ years on and they took a nice mother son angle. showed some kids who are into it although some might say they looked liked fashion victims and promoted the film so what more can you ask for. 

kids looking at that will think wow that looks cool or think nothing at all. any promotion of the film is good so i cant see how it will damage. 

these type of things may be made about 'your background' but they are not made 'for you'. 

I'm not sure I or anyone else expects too much. I watched the programme with an open mind and have taken into account comments I've seen on this thread and on facebook in my initial summation of the programme.

I don't see how last night's programme benefits the film at all, I can't really see how younger kids watching will think it was cool to be honest, perhaps if it was only the 'young souls' being interviewed or dancing they may have formed an affinity, but with older folk? That's not really happened before, and can't for the life of me see why it would happen now. Old always has and always will be uncool. 

I've read and written comments equating what's currently happening with the 'boom' period of the mid seventies but there are major differences to my mind. However many people top of the pops reached in those days, it's still only a fraction of those being reached now via the internet. In the seventies it was a genuine youth movement, we weren't being asked or expected to fraternise with 50 year olds, so there was no real danger of being judged, we were the ones forging the scene. The programme for me, didn't make that clear enough, yes there were references to Wigan, hence vests and bags, but they weren't representative of a growing scene. All they were were the current fashions of the day. And whilst we're on that topic why wear bags and a vest but complete the look with trainers, that's not very authentic is it. Not that that particularly worries me, but where was the community spirit? All of us have probably met friends that have been with us through the 40 or so years we've been part of the scene, does anyone think that came across. Did the music played show the northern scene in it's best light. Nearly every one of these programmes plays the same hackneyed music, does anyone think that's a representation even of the top 500 scene. There are 500 in that list, pick something else from it FFS. Why do the presenters feel the need to get 'togged' up in bags etc, do the majority of those of us still going wear them? 

I don't expect much, I realise it's made for TV but at least be accurate, or as a programme maker you're always going to get a backlash!!  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!