Mark Putney - Todays Man / Don't Come Around Here

Tolbert

...so the different labels are only of interest for the Collector-Freaks :wink:

I wouldn't put it that way, personally both labels look the business.. I'd have either... money wise if thats something you want to know, both about the same £30 - £60 range depending on condition £60 being totally mint!

Social source share

I wouldn't put it that way, personally both labels look the business.. I'd have either... money wise if thats something you want to know, both about the same £30 - £60 range depending on condition £60 being totally mint!

Blimey...just sold a m- red and white Atlantic copy for £20...took 2 yrs to shift it!
Social source share

• 6 years later...
6 hours ago, Spencer said:

Mark Putney is my stepbrother.  He’s MUCH older than I am, and my family doesn’t talk much about his short music career.  

Please do let Mark know that both songs - Today's man/Don't come around here anymore - are very popular with soul fans/collectors all over Europe, and they are often played at soul music events, even in the year 2020.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
spelin
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On a slight tangent, after success of 'Tighten Up' (I assume) there were a few Ovide / LJF/ Skipper Lee Frazier productions that came out on Atlantic. Off the top of me swede, and in no order, thinking about the ones I've got or am aware of, there's:

Mark Putney (both labels)

Tighten Up (both labels)

TSUs: 'What Good Am I?' (both labels).

'A Thousand Wonders' released as TSU Toronados on Ovide and as Archie Bell & Drells on Atlantic LP.

TSUs : 'Got to Get Through to You' (Atlantic only)

Plus a few great Archie Bell & Drells b-sides: 'You're Such a Beautiful Child', 'Love Will Rain on You', 'Just a Little Closer'. 

Then two TSU Toronado(e)s on Volt which I assume was part of the same arrangement: 'I Still Love You' and 'Play the Music Toronados' (the latter the same instrumental track as James Taylor: 'Love With Hope' on Ovide)

Are there any others?

Couple of supplementary questions:

How come the TSU Toronado(e)s couldn't make up their minds about how to spell their name and how many variants are there?

One that has always bothered me: what the hell is a 'drell'?

Sorry if a bit off topic..too much time on my hands for some reason.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Nice info and questions. Made me get out all my Ovide and related stuff. Have and like the Mark Putney.  It is a great collectors label.  Re TSU (Texas State University where they formed) Toronado(e)s I think just two spellings if you ignore The -  oes on Ovide and os on Rampart Street for example, which I think was their own label - Tim Ashebende on here would know as he bought most of the spare copies way back when.  

An additional question. Did any other Ovide apart from Bobo Mr Soul - Hitch Hiking (London HLU 10418 - 1972 licensed from Hi), and Archie Bell -  A Thousand Wonders on Atlantic special issue in 2004 get issued/reissued in the UK.  PT

PS only assume The Drells were so called as rhymed with Bell rather than being an Alien species!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Rictic66 said:

PS only assume The Drells were so called as rhymed with Bell rather than being an Alien species!!

Apparently not , so called because.one of the founding members was a big fan of The Dells so they added an R.as a tribute to the Dells .

Rhyming with Bell makes more sense though.

Story here .

https://blog.ponderosastomp.com/2017/08/tighten-archie-bell/amp/

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Rictic66 said:

An additional question. Did any other Ovide apart from Bobo Mr Soul - Hitch Hiking (London HLU 10418 - 1972 licensed from Hi), and Archie Bell -  A Thousand Wonders on Atlantic special issue in 2004 get issued/reissued in the UK.  PT

TSU Toronados 'Getting The Corners' came out as one side of a 7" included (I think) in a boxset.

The b-side of Bobo Mr Soul, 'She's My Woman, She's My Girl', the instrumental track sounds exactly the same as the Archie Bell version on Ovide.  

Some of the LJF productions on Archie Bell, not released on Ovide, also came out on UK.

Further question: Does anyone know if Archie Bell 'Love's Gonna Rain on You' on UK President / US Glades (1974) is the same recording as 'Love Will Rain On You' that came out on Atlantic in '68? I've not got the President / Glades one. The ones on Discogs / YouTube show the Atlantic release but the label on the 74 release(s) state 'An original Glades recording'...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!